House Price Crash Forum
Venger

Repo For £3M With No Roof - Cumbria

Can't understand why they're asking so much for this repo + one source says they've been advised it will take another £1.5m spend to finish the development. Must be looking for bubble money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120334/Grand-house-spectacular-lakeside-estate-sale-3million-s-catch-bring-ROOF.html

Lilymere was last sold in 2011 when it was marketed for £2.65 million ($4.2 million, €3.7 million). The purchaser subsequently demolished the 6-bedroomed stone-built house that stood on the site and began to construct a vast 8-bedroomed replacement but failed to complete it after running out of money.

Now marketed with a guide of £3 million ($4.8 million, €4.2 million) by Savills and the Landwood Group, the estate includes not only a house that lacks windows, doors and a roof but also a 3-bedroom cottage that has been modernised, a 4-bedroom gate lodge, a refurbished boat house and a newly built triple garage.

http://thesteepletimes.com/today/a-roofless-repo/

2015 new listing repo not finished

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-34857732.html

2011 pre rebuild listing http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33471506.html

I can possibly give you a reason for this.

My parents live in Sedbergh, near Kendal. I have long taken an interest in house prices in that area, and over the last 10 years there has been an unprecedented flood of incoming buyers from affluent regions of the South, places like London, St Albans, you name it, all paying incredible prices for buildings that the local farming communities would have discarded as uninhabitable wrecks.
House prices have been pushed through the stratosphere in the "posh" bits of Cumbria, and of course, the less posh bits have been dragged upwards by the coat tails, screaming as they go, and now a basic dwelling for a basic earner is totally and utterly beyond reach.

This looks like a match for me, when I delved into the plans.. front aspect looked identical to RM listed plans.

28uil53.jpg

May be same company.. and the same guy, T.Schools, mentioned here and in other searches thereof.

http://www.offshorealert.com/ListSummary.aspx?MetaTypeID=156&MetaValue=Marshall+Islands

Eg: http://www.offshorealert.com/tim-schools-lisa-schools-dale-stephenson-claire-schools.aspx

'House on Lilymere estate in Cumbria is still a work in progress after previous owners failed to see through plans went to jail'

Fixed it for ya.

'House on Lilymere estate in Cumbria is still a work in progress after previous owners failed to see through plans went to jail'

Fixed it for ya.

You sure he went to jail?

Looks like he weedled out of the fraud in true banker style..

http://www.offshorealert.com/tim-schools-settles-axiom-litigation-funding-fraud-complaint-london-high-court.aspx

if im reading the ad correctly, it does include 722 acres of land, 622 with sporting rights. So I guess it can be seen as a business as well.

908 acres of freehold land

The main house has been designed to make the most of the outstanding views overlooking the 34-acre lake.

The stunning site lies between the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District National Park and has 908 acres of freehold land, although only 679 acres is 'in hand' as some of this is let and some is common land.

Sporting rights have not been exercised on the land for the last three years but there is roe stalking, duck flighting ponds and fishing on the lake.

Thanks for mentioning The Steeple Times in your posts. I've updated the article with details about the former owner. He has quite a past it seems. No wonder this house didn't get finished.

As for the property itself, I know the area well and the land is quite high up and exposed. The setting is superb if someone wants something truly rural and unspoilt but the price of £3m does seem rather high. I suspect it will sell for a lot less.

A great project for someone but I imagine the buyer may well just demolish the structure and start again. It is pretty ugly as it stands and seems out of context for the setting.

Matthew Steeples

Editor, The Steeple Times

Blimey, are the mail property parasites now Trollin us?

One minute your a London expert then totally at one with cumbria.

You expecting your p45 tomorrow?

I hope so :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I am not from The Daily Mail or Mail Online. I simply came here to comment in response to people in this forum having linked to the site I publish, The Steeple Times. Best wishes, Matthew Steeples

Take it easy Count; it's not some huge press organisation, but seems to me to be a smaller niche indie news style news outlet.

M.Steeples, I read the story first on your news-site before later finding it on the Daily Mail.

Your news site and link to the story came up on Google News feed when I was searching for something else on repos.

If I had the money I'd want to pay less and pull down the tacky build and put something in stone there to make it fit it with the surroundings. A blank canvas more like it needs a wrecking ball.

Good info Steeple Times, on each of those articles; also like the way they include more precise location details than in most MSM stories.

If I had the money I'd want to pay less and pull down the tacky build and put something in stone there to make it fit it with the surroundings. A blank canvas more like it needs a wrecking ball.

I'd want something like 6+ 3-4 bed cottages built on the site, at the least, at realistic prices.. if there is non-HTB demand (don't know the area).

Trouble is, planning is probably problematic. That was part of the part referential knowledge I picked up when looking on HPC for archived Sedburgh info.

Planning also had something about Wind Turbine application for same postcode (although seemingly not on land for that house). This may be it (difficult to tell).

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/NEWS/11087510.Killington_wind_turbine_decision__called_in__by_Secretary_of_State/?ref=rss

My parents retired to a place called Sedbergh- 10-15 mins drive from Kendal, but out of the lakes and into the Dales- actually far preferable IMO.

They moved up there in1990, and bought a converted barn from a group of four high end conversions at the end of a private lane nestling into the side of a fell- get the picture- idyllic.

However, of course time has caught up with them both, and my father is extremely infirm, and the writing is on the wall that they will have to sell- actually- they should of done this two years ago- but they wouldn't listen, mother being particularly stubborn, and father having ostrich mentality.

During my quarterly visits up north, I have always taken an interest in house prices, both locally, and in Kendal, and the increases have been particularly staggering in htis area- so much so, there is now a tri-war of a political nature being fought over existing properties in this area.

1- House prices have gone like you wouldn't believe they could go- there being little discernible difference between prices over all ranges of property when related to typical home counties posh town prices.
This is worrying, as the majority of the economy is hill farming- and many many locals can no longer afford to live in this area- period. It causes an unbelievable amount of bad feeling in certain quarters- it's vey sad, and down totally to southerners moving north to get away from the crappy south.

2- Planning. Just you try and realise your planning dream up here- you haven't got a snowflakes chance in hell. You will be up against Agricultural use laws, areas of outstanding natural beauty laws, and the ability of the locals to make it very difficult for non locals- because they can- and I can't say I blame them TBH.

Just a word- my parents live right on the western edge of the Yorkshire Dales at a place called Sedbergh. They bought in 1990, a converted huge stone barn, aprt of a small farm, however, it is unlikely the builder would have been able to do the job now- in fact anytime since about 1995.

Planning, Planning Planning- got that- now go check what you can and CANT do...

Although doesn't surprise me planning all passed for large mansion.

Same as planners in my own area; they love mansions.

Perhaps now the English, particularly the ones from the rich South will understand why Meibion Glyndwr like lighting fires in second homes.

Perhaps now the English, particularly the ones from the rich South will understand why Meibion Glyndwr like lighting fires in second homes.

The Londoners, with their tax free unearned equity, are pricing out the English in their own country !!!!!

Only a stones throw from the M6 (Killington Lake Services)

Don't have the mind for such a house - want neighbours, so I have no reference point for value on it. All depends on the money out there in the market looking for such a large home in pretty area.

On such mornings he would lie and look at her and listen to the sounds that
the house made in the breeze. He liked the house; it seemed... fit. Normally,
he'd have hated it.

Still - as he'd pointed out to her when he first saw it from the lonely ocean
road - it would be easy to torch and simple to rob, stuck out here in the
middle of nowhere. (She'd looked at him as though he were mad, but then
kissed him.)

- Use of Weapons

3 mile search into Sedbergh

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=POSTCODE^1348802&radius=3.0&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on&index=30