House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Why?!

Lest I be misunderstood and be seen to be a heartless sod, let me say up front that I fully acknowledge that this incident, as described, is a truly heartbreaking tragedy - and would be for any decent person.

BUT.......let us be reasonable here. This, by all accounts, was an isolated incident in a private family home and had no connection with or at any time posed no risk to any one else in the wider community.

So, unless some 'busybody' has made threats to the mother/family because of what happened to the child, then WHY do the police feel the need to spend money/resources to........

"......provide reassurance to support the public during an "horrendous time in the community".

A police car remains parked directly outside the front of the property."

IF the 'community' asked for it, so be it. But that still doesn't make the 'need' rational. Just when did we, collectively, all start becoming so 'soft' and overly sensitive. Whatever happened to the stiff upper lip?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33211099

At this rate we'll all be blubbing like Americans on TV any time someones cat gets run over.

I'm going to take a wild guess here, but I'd say the police presence is there so that the 'community' don't take matters into their own hands and enact some revenge on the dogs owner/family

While my heart goes out to the family in this tragedy, I believe it to be totally mad to leave ANY dog, even a much-loved family pet, with ANY child under the age of 12. Dogs, especially terriers, can misunderstand babies. The terrier probably thought it was dealing with some sort of rodent.

I'm going to take a wild guess here, but I'd say the police presence is there so that the 'community' don't take matters into their own hands and enact some revenge on the dogs owner/family

If it's a sufficiently basal and ill educated community, yes that would be my guess

The part i can`t understand is why have they arrested the father of the child ,surely the family are suffering and punishing themselves enough with out having to be arrested ,questioning is understandable by why arrest them

The part i can`t understand is why have they arrested the father of the child ,surely the family are suffering and punishing themselves enough with out having to be arrested ,questioning is understandable by why arrest them

I'm guessing because he was the dogs owner.

A big percentage of cases like these happen because the dog has been mistreated in some way, if the police are making the dog owner responsible thats a big step forward. In the past they have just blamed everything on the dog being a "bad breed" despite decades of evidence that its always the owners.

I'm guessing because he was the dogs owner.

A big percentage of cases like these happen because the dog has been mistreated in some way, if the police are making the dog owner responsible thats a big step forward. In the past they have just blamed everything on the dog being a "bad breed" despite decades of evidence that its always the owners.

Simply not true ,especially when it comes to working breeds like terriers ,you will never remove the hunting/killing instinct out of a jack russell/most terriers without breeding it out which would leave you with a different breed

I would never leave a child alone with a terrier because i know the breed well but to criminalise a naive owner when they are going through hell is beyond me

Simply not true ,especially when it comes to working breeds like terriers ,you will never remove the hunting/killing instinct out of a jack russell/most terriers without breeding it out which would leave you with a different breed

I would never leave a child alone with a terrier because i know the breed well but to criminalise a naive owner when they are going through hell is beyond me

It they think he may have committed a crime then they have to. Despite him being upset.

There are definitely variations between breeds. It takes a lot of effort to produce a vicious Staffordshire, for example despite appearances/reputation as they generally soft and actually very good with children. I often used to laugh seeing some yob with a Staffordshire desperately trying to stop it making friends with every passerby.

Collies are naturally quite highly strung - and require lots of training and walking. Chihuahuas are highly territorial in my experience. Terriers of most kinds are natural hunters and quite yappy/aggressive without training.

The dog was normally kept outside.

I don't think that makes him as naive as you think.

These fecking terriers are becoming a scourge. I hate them. And every second prole you see in the street is being dragged along by one.

Not a doggy man myself, but they seem to like me! Maybe I smell of sausages! :blink:

It they think he may have committed a crime then they have to. Despite him being upset.

Surely questioning would be far more sensible in determining whether an offence was committed ,then decided whether it`s applicable to criminalise the guy by arresting him

The dog was normally kept outside.

I don't think that makes him as naive as you think.

Not all people keep their pets indoors plenty sleep outside /garage/kenel even though they a placid pets

Naive he must have been if he knowingly left a terrier alone with a young baby

There are definitely variations between breeds. It takes a lot of effort to produce a vicious Staffordshire, for example despite appearances/reputation as they generally soft and actually very good with children. I often used to laugh seeing some yob with a Staffordshire desperately trying to stop it making friends with every passerby.

Collies are naturally quite highly strung - and require lots of training and walking. Chihuahuas are highly territorial in my experience. Terriers of most kinds are natural hunters and quite yappy/aggressive without training.

Yes, if you impinge upon the postage-stamp sized area of their territory.

While my heart goes out to the family in this tragedy, I believe it to be totally mad to leave ANY dog, even a much-loved family pet, with ANY child under the age of 12. Dogs, especially terriers, can misunderstand babies. The terrier probably thought it was dealing with some sort of rodent.

That's probably an overly cautious though sensible policy.

99% of dogs would be perfectly fine left with a baby. The tricky thing is identifying the 1%. I've got two lurchers, one is as soft as poo and totally submissive, he loves kids even when they poke his ears!

The other is frightened of kids (past abuse by gypsy kids- she's got cig burns on her side). She would snap if cornered. She also has a very strong kill instinct which a few local rabbits have found out to their cost. I'd never leave her alone with a young child.

One thing is for sure. Your children are more at risk from people than from dogs.

That's probably an overly cautious though sensible policy.

99% of dogs would be perfectly fine left with a baby. The tricky thing is identifying the 1%. I've got two lurchers, one is as soft as poo and totally submissive, he loves kids even when they poke his ears!

The other is frightened of kids (past abuse by gypsy kids- she's got cig burns on her side). She would snap if cornered. She also has a very strong kill instinct which a few local rabbits have found out to their cost. I'd never leave her alone with a young child.

One thing is for sure. Your children are more at risk from people than from dogs.

Lurchers. Don't tell me you are yet another clandestine Yorkshireman. ;)

Am I 'eck as like!

It's your round BTW! :blink: