House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Triumvirate1

Morden House Fails To Sell At Auction

246 Morden Road, Merton Park, SW19 2DA

(No previous prices available as it has been in the same family ownership for 30 years).

At auction, it reached 310K, but didn't sell.

It's located opposite the National Trust's Morden Hall Park, although is next to a car dealership and on a busy road.

Even so, a detached house with 3 beds, 2 receps, 2 w/c's, 2 garages....would've been snapped up a year ago.

246 Morden Road, Merton Park, SW19 2DA

(No previous prices available as it has been in the same family ownership for 30 years).

At auction, it reached 310K, but didn't sell.

It's located opposite the National Trust's Morden Hall Park, although is next to a car dealership and on a busy road.

Even so, a detached house with 3 beds, 2 receps, 2 w/c's, 2 garages....would've been snapped up a year ago.

The A24 is a bit more than a busy road! it's a dual carriageway there.

Merton Park is dirt cheap & no other house has achieved above 290k in the last 5 years.

I'm not surprised it didn't sell - I drove past it today and it is a dire location.

Hello London Landlady

Where would you say the direness ends and the start of the more pleasant wimbledon area begins?

Do you have property in the SW20 area?

The bit (Merton Park) up by John Innes conservation area is nice - i'd say "up & coming". Some bits of SW20 are very nice - near the common but tend to be poricey being near to Kings & the Study. There are also some bits of SW18 which are closer to the Village than some of South Wimbledon! Are you looking?

Hello

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look on the map and try to see where you mean. We are thinking about about moving to the area, probably rent for a while whilst we see if we want to live there, etc

I don't know the area at all yet but I've seen houses in my price range. There seems to be a good stock of houses around there. So far I've noticed houses between raynes park and wimbledon mainline, and the chase bit, that all seem to be affordable, if you start deducting 10% off the asking :) I think these are all in SW20, maybe SW19 borders.

I've only just started to look here, i'm always cautious when places seem affordable though ! There always seems to be a catch... :(

Edited by stillLooking

Hello

Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look on the map and try to see where you mean. We are thinking about about moving to the area, probably rent for a while whilst we see if we want to live there, etc

I don't know the area at all yet but I've seen houses in my price range. There seems to be a good stock of houses around there. So far I've noticed houses between raynes park and wimbledon mainline, and the chase bit, that all seem to be affordable, if you start deducting 10% off the asking :) I think these are all in SW20, maybe SW19 borders.

I've only just started to look here, i'm always cautious when places seem affordable though ! There always seems to be a catch... :(

Also have a look in the bit called Merton Park - South on the map - not South Wimbledon, the bit between Wimbledon Chase station and Merton Park station and above . It's really good for being able to walk to Wimbledon Station & also there is a tram station (which goes to Wimbledon BR & to Croydon). There is a local agent - Finch (they only do sales) who have a few properties round there - also you could try Reynolds in Raynes Park and Hawes is another local agent.

There are all the usual suspects as well (e.g. Foxtons - but they are pretty aggressive)

Now is probably a great time to look as they are all pretty quiet - with the run up to Xmas & you could get a load of viewings in - just to get a feel.

Definitely worth renting first as you can really get to know the area. Now (pre Xmas) is again a great time to rent because you will have more negotiation power than in January.

Good luck - I've lived around here off & on for over 40 years so am reasonably familiar with the area!