House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

New York Tipping Ettiquette

Hi all, bit of advice needed from you well travelled types. I'm in New York for the week with my mate. Neither of us wish to short change the waiting staff but at the same time I'm not made of money.

For example, yesterday we stopped at a diner for a burger each and matey had a slice of cake. The bill came- just over $50 for the food and about 10$ marked up as S/C, which I assume is Service Charge, applied for the benefit of gauche foreigners. My mate then insisted on tipping a further 10$ on top which I thought was unnecessary?

I'm thinking that you pay 20% over the added total of the price of the food on the menu that you ordered?

Does sales tax complicate things?

Reasonably prompt answers appreciated as we're off out for our most expensive meal here tonight...

Hi all, bit of advice needed from you well travelled types. I'm in New York for the week with my mate. Neither of us wish to short change the waiting staff but at the same time I'm not made of money.

For example, yesterday we stopped at a diner for a burger each and matey had a slice of cake. The bill came- just over $50 for the food and about 10$ marked up as S/C, which I assume is Service Charge, applied for the benefit of gauche foreigners. My mate then insisted on tipping a further 10$ on top which I thought was unnecessary?

I'm thinking that you pay 20% over the added total of the price of the food on the menu that you ordered?

Does sales tax complicate things?

Reasonably prompt answers appreciated as we're off out for our most expensive meal here tonight...

as a general rule 10-15% is the norm.

For example, yesterday we stopped at a diner for a burger each and matey had a slice of cake. The bill came- just over $50 for the food and about 10$ marked up as S/C, which I assume is Service Charge,

50 dollars for two burgers and a slice of cake???!!! F***in' hell, you've been had mate!

If you like cigars go to Guantanamera just south of central park. Cuban food and good music and free hand rolled Cuban cigars at the weekend.

As for tips - ask if they keep the service charge and if so - no point adding anymore.