House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rave

New York Tipping Ettiquette

Hi all, bit of advice needed from you well travelled types. I'm in New York for the week with my mate. Neither of us wish to short change the waiting staff but at the same time I'm not made of money.

For example, yesterday we stopped at a diner for a burger each and matey had a slice of cake. The bill came- just over $50 for the food and about 10$ marked up as S/C, which I assume is Service Charge, applied for the benefit of gauche foreigners. My mate then insisted on tipping a further 10$ on top which I thought was unnecessary?

I'm thinking that you pay 20% over the added total of the price of the food on the menu that you ordered?

Does sales tax complicate things?

Reasonably prompt answers appreciated as we're off out for our most expensive meal here tonight...

If you are already paying service charge just ask the staff if they get to keep it. If yes - I wouldn't do anymore unless they were very helpful and/or a stunning burd in a twin peaks style establishment.

If you fancy a quality wee happening bar try Guantanamera - Cuban food and bar.

They have a bloke at the front at night who makes hand rolled Cubans cigars on demand for free at the weekend. Quality (I would tip him a $5 or something though)

939 8th Ave, New York, NY 10019, United States

Enjoy

As a default just add 10%. If that ain't a round number round up to the nearest dollar. If what you bought cost less than $10, tip a dollar. Always tip with the folding stuff. Coins are for parking metres and soda machines (though most of these take notes).

If your truly impressed with the service go up to 15 or 20% (depending on how impressed). If the service is shit then tip about 5%. That's better than tipping nothing as it shows that rather than being a jerk who never tips, you do tip but think the service was bad so you're giving them an insulting tip.

I can advise on fly tipping.

I usually leave the waiter an old fridge or sofa.

I keep mine in the garden, for "nature".

Tipping was started by the rich merely wanting to show off their wealth and believed self-importance... and has ended up with the rest of us being expected to now do it.

Interestingly, the rich have move away from the 10% to 15% rule - somehow it has become 205 for the rest of us - to now deciding that you only give X sum if you meal/drinks are over X.

So, arguably, the rich are paying poprtionally less of their bill in tips than someone who might be earning a minimum wage.

Or something like that.

Check your bill first as TMT says but, mostly there won't be anything added unless you're in a big group. The standard amount that locals tip is twice the tax.

Check your bill first as TMT says but, mostly there won't be anything added unless you're in a big group. The standard amount that locals tip is twice the tax.

Sales tax is set at the state level, and some states don't have any sales tax so that rule can get you in trouble. And tipping less than 15% is generally seen as an insult. Don't do that unless it's a place you'll never eat in again.

Sales tax is set at the state level, and some states don't have any sales tax so that rule can get you in trouble. And tipping less than 15% is generally seen as an insult. Don't do that unless it's a place you'll never eat in again.

Well, I lived in New York City for 2 years and always tipped at twice the tax as did all the Americans I knew and no-one ever seemed upset to my observation.

Thanks all, I'm home now. Irritatingly having forwarded my mate the tipping advice he then went from massively over-tipping to being downright stingy, so I ended up topping things up, or leaving him to settle the check when I'd clearly put in my share- I drink, he has pudding, he seems to think that a $10 bottle of mineral water and a $9.50 bit of cake is the same as one $12 glass of wine... :rolleyes:

As a coda to this thread, and to our trip (which I'm glad I did, albeit that I wouldn't do 7 nights in Manhattan again any time soon...), we went on three bus tours and one boat tour, all of which were narrated by native New Yorkers. And _all four_ of them were very keen to talk about the way that Manhattan has been taken over by rich people, and that it's impossible for a working man to live there now. All of them went on about it at considerable length, and they were not happy about it.

Yep I ventured to Brooklyn for one day and if I go back will definitely base myself there.