House Price Crash Forum

More Bad News For Gm

FTBagain

HOLA441

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4525418.stm

If GM go bust that would put alot of people out of work. Any ideas how many?

I checked their website, no number for employees but they operate in 32 countries, sell in loads more and to business with quite afew other car manufactures.

If they do go bust it will send shock waves around the globe car industry. Not to mention put the boot into US confidence. They could also take some of their competitors down with them if people stop buying US cars. is Ford.

HOLA442

Is that REAL bankruptcy or Chapter 11? Then again, PAM AM went under didn't it.

GM occupies a unique position in the psyche of Americans.

When I was with Cisco the day that Cisco, temporarilly, became worth more than GM was almost like they had all won the lottery several times over. I would be interested to see the affect on the American Public if GM does go bankrupt.

HOLA443

I remember reading a while ago that GM and Ford shares are classified as junk status.

It was reported last week that Ford were mulling over closing virtually all their North American manufacturing facilities. Numbers bandied around were 25,000 job losses.

It really would be incredible if these icons of the US were to collapse.

NDL

HOLA444

It really would be incredible if these icons of the US were to collapse.

NDL

Not incredible, merely indicative of the great changes occuring in the World Economy.

However, this, if it did occur, might just make the average Joe realise that those he believes have his interests at heart, the political leaders, don't actually care.

HOLA445

However, this, if it did occur, might just make the average Joe realise that those he believes have his interests at heart, the political leaders, don't actually care.

Governments can't protect us from ourselves. We like paying less for our cars, toasters, clothes, and... well, everything. We get what we deserve in the end.

Andrew McP

HOLA446

Governments can't protect us from ourselves. We like paying less for our cars, toasters, clothes, and... well, everything. We get what we deserve in the end.

Andrew McP

Not quite a simple as that.

Yes we like to pay less for things, in fact that has been the clarion call in recent years, lower prices through productivity and technology gains. Just that many people didn't see where those gains would lead. Jobs would go to low labour cost countries. I'm not sure the Politicians have fully explained this to their electorates.

Plus, lower prices of manufactured goods have helped the Politicians to claim a low inflation environment.

One day average Joe will realise that. Until then he hopes he can make SUVs no one wants while he buys Chinese DVD players.

Average Joe ain't meant to think.

HOLA447

As a reply, see this link about where the world might be heading:

http://www.foresight.org/EOC/EOC_Chapter_1...l#section02of05

Nice link. While I'm no expert in the field I've seen enough about this it to realise just what awesome potential exists.

The sanguine side of me says so what, we've never kept the Genie in the bottle.

Maybe that is to be our destiny, to evolve ourselves out of existence by the evolution of our technologies.

I suspect the AI machines or whatever will then carry on making the same errors as us, as, having been designed by us they will be extensions of us.

Or maybe that is how "we" will colonise the rest of the Universe.

HOLA448

I think accepting them as "we" is the best way to go. After all, as individuals we're all supposedly up for the chop after a hundred years or so.

As long as they are really alive - that is awake, conscious, inner life - I'm fine with it. (But I suppose one point you might draw from the link is that what I or anyone (or everyone) else thinks might not be entirely relevant.)

Hopefully, it's more optimistic than that, and there's a way to join in - or transcend.

Yes, it's that scifi thing isn't it. Maybe the transcendental aspect could be met by some "fusion" of human consciousness with the new "lifeforms".

We afterall, are merely we because of the grey mass in our heads. The rest is just sensors to supply information and a transport and nutrition system for the whole caboodle.

Oh dear, bad thought, future reality TV show, "I'm a celebrity consciousness, vote me into the nano(wo)man".

Or, of course, any politician of your choice.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I'm just hoping for some sort of endless bacchanalian orgy type-of-thing, with a neverending whirl of women in skimpy space outfits. (Which is probably proof that I'm just a monkey who's not worth bringing along into the brave new world of "minds only".)

I'd go with that to, plus some fast cars and 'bikes.

:)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Trading in deficit and an increasingly uncompetitive product base.

Cored out operating based increasingly on dodgy financial inducements rather then investment in product.

Huge liabilities relating to existing and future retirees.

Operating in a general marked that is already maxed out on credit.

Somewhere in the above I seem to have forgotton the subject in question, is it GM or the US? Damned if I know. :huh: