House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yokel

Bt Sport Upgrade/downgrade

I have BT Broadband and phone. Apparently I can sit at my computer and watch some sport as part of the deal (I don't).

I also get pretty regular mailshots, most of which go straight in the bin, offering `infinity', extra TV packages etc.

Yesterday, for some reason I actually read the letter. It said that they were going to be doing lots more sport and it would cost me £5 a month (extra). If I did nothing, I would be charged from August for not watching even more sport than I don't watch now. If I didn't want this, then I had to go to their website and `downgrade` to sport 'lite'. I have done so.

I thought I'd warn anyone on here to look out for this letter in case you haven't noticed the extra charge that you have to opt out of. And also to ask if it is legal to change someone's contract on the basis of it changing unless you say no (having first realised that you have to say no).

Y

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check my contract. Like you, I don't want to be charged for not watching a service I don't watch for free now.

There's bound to be a weaselly get-out clause buried in the contract to allow BT unilaterally to change it.

great heads up...sport was a freebie for a contract review.

Thanks for the heads up, just got the email from them.

I didn't want it in the first place but it was effectively pushed on me when signing up for broadband and I agreed cos it was free, knowing i'd never actually use it. At least they made the downgrade pretty easy to do. Nobs.

They wanted me to sign for another 12 month contract.....told them no I don't want the sports.....I don't want a contract.

Sometimes I think you are better off keep swapping and changing....some doing unlimited for free....BT seem to charge their old existing customers more than brand new customers.....I don't trust them....to cancel a contract it costs over £20 per month penalty for each month left of the contract....sign up and you are stuck, not that you intend to change, just the principle of charging more for staying and charging even more to leave.......they must want customers to leave to come back on a better deal.....madness.

I changed to PlusNet. It is owned by BT but cheaper. I suggest you switch.

Funny, I moved to PlusNet as well. I seem to have ended up about 205% cheaper and no longer have the cr*p BT email.

They called me asking if I wanted to upgrade to inifinity, told them I;d be movig as I don't wan tto be paying for their shittyball at all, either directly, indirectly or through having a faster broadband connection.

"But it is free" they said, no it ******ing well isn't, it is more like a tax.

Another PlusNet here, been using them as an ISP for ages but changed to phone too when I moved. So far the connection is absolutely appalling but it's also affecting my neighbours so doesn't seem to be an ISP-related issue (they're supposed to be coming around today to tell me that they can't find what's wrong).

One thing I like about PlusNet is that whenever I've had to phone them up I've always ended up speaking to someone who sounds like they actually know what they're talking about and aren't just reading from a script. Well, apart from the guy who did the move but I suppose everyone makes mistakes or has to start somewhere.

Wow you get sports for an extra £5 and you don't have to do anything! WOW <_<

Already been with Plusnet for about 3 years - no frills and I've had no major problems. But please don't start migrating the PR/special bundles from BT to Plusnet. Let's hope lots of people start paying the £5 on BT, so they leave this division alone! Psst - everyone don't read your BT letters, you won't miss that £5 :ph34r:

Actually I don't want to watch 22 pooves kick the wrong shaped ball!

It cost me nothing not to watch it!

If I want to see Rugby, I might go to the pub!

Wow you get sports for an extra £5 and you don't have to do anything! WOW <_<

Already been with Plusnet for about 3 years - no frills and I've had no major problems. But please don't start migrating the PR/special bundles from BT to Plusnet. Let's hope lots of people start paying the £5 on BT, so they leave this division alone! Psst - everyone don't read your BT letters, you won't miss that £5 :ph34r:

That is what they are hoping.......give it to you free to charge later hoping not noticed....every little £5 helps, all adds up.

I have not a problem in paying a fair price for something that is open, honest and easy to understand.....what I do not want is to be tied into a contract where you are stuck paying for something you can't exit without a hefty penalty and I mean hefty, check it out, no way out.... and they can increase the price and lower the quality as they feel fit within the contract....all one sided to suit them....not on and not good business practice......over promise and under deliver.....no contracts can mean better choices the freedom to roam.....we can change our gas and electricity with no hefty penalty why not telecommunications?.....offcom need to sort this big time.....sometimes I wonder if they have any clout to do anything beneficial to help consumers, playing lip service. ;)

With these types of contracts, the supplier cannot change the terms or increase the price * to your detriment during the contract term.

They can *ask* but they may not *insist*. You have the right to refuse such changes.

Then the supplier may continue to supply on the pre-agreed basis or elect not to supply you at all, e.g. end the contract. You cannot be charged any kind of penalty or fees for this nor would you pay to the end of the term.

You have 30 days from notification to accept or reject such a change. If you do nothing you are deemed to have accepted it. If you want to refuse it, you're best to contact them in writing. You are not "asking" to keep your original terms, you are declining the changes and *instructing* same.

Ofcom recently introduced some new rules which deal with this, but the above is basic B2C contract law for services anyway and so Ofcom brought nothing new to that.

It's just that not many people understand or realise the above to be true and it is in the supplier's interest that this remains so.

* The Terms and Conditions can stipulate e.g. one price rise in line with inflation or similar however if they stated for instance unlimited price rises, the Ts & Cs would be unlawful thus invalidating them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Question. I go onto their website enter my number and postcode and press the link to 'downgrade' however it only gives me the option to confirm my current free package and £5 per month from August thereafter. I have no other choices.

Quick look online also suggests by downgrading you are agreeing to new terms and a further twelve month contract? Can this be true?

My mum (like myself) had to take the sports package to continue an online purchase of bt broadband and she's the kind who'd pay the £5 monthly fee in perpetuity like my dad did with the old 'phone rental'.

Con merchants.

I haven't read the specifics but if the screen tells you that you are agreeing to a new 12 month term because you don't want to pay for the extra service, then don't click it because you are then agreeing to that.

Instead send them an email which states that you do not wish to subscribe to the paid option. Your subscription commitment period is not affected by this and you wish to make it abundantly clear that your committed period ends on d/m/y as it did before. This is why you have not used the online option. You do not agree to that.

As I understand it then you'll still get the same things that you did before, free of charge as before.

When it comes to leave and move on you can point to your copy of the email when they say you're still in contract citing the "downgrade".

Not all companies behave in this sharkish manner.

The big push is to get people into a contract......when they tied me into something over the phone and following an email confirming, the next day I told them I wanted to go back to what I had before, they told me there was no cooling off period, once I had put down the phone I was tied into something that I found out I did not want after reading T&C....no way of going back, they said they no longer sell that particular product, I felt conned....be very careful, is all I can advise.

Every other financial product sold gives a 7 or 14 day cooling off period.....not telecommunications apparently....not good enough.

Isn't the cooling off period a legal thing?

That is what I thought.......in my case they refused to put me back to the same position I was in before on the pretext that the product was no longer available.

They do say now they give 14 days cooling off........so looks like the pick and choose who can and who can't?

Guest eight

In recent times I've had to tell a number of companies to take me to court if they are so confident of their legal position. So far none of them have.

In recent times I've had to tell a number of companies to take me to court if they are so confident of their legal position. So far none of them have.

Exactly! All this talk of contracts is meaningless. They can't hold you to anything as there's no piece of paper with your signature on it that they can wave at a judge in court.

BT customer here. Just renewed my BB infinity contract with them and they dropped the price by just under a £5. I have bt sports lite, but am not being charged for this.

Spoke to a plesant lady on the phone and she stated as long as you stay with a bb contract, the BT lite sports package will remain free.

Unfortunately I don't use the 'lite package', but their BB package and speeds (for me), are excellent.

I regularly get 74 mbs, so I can't complain. I hear Virgin are better but they won't cable where we are.