House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossybabe

Audio File Help, Please.

In the '60s, I was part of a choir that sang Carmina Burana, a now-famous production. I didn't know at the time that someone had recorded it on an old reel-to-reel tape. Now I have a digital copy of the tape on CD and would like to clean the hiss off it. Can any of you bright sparks recommend freeware that'll help me do it? It'll have to be simple, or I'll lose interest!

Please help, as the quality of the singing and orchestration is really worthwhile.

I'm not sure Audacity qualifies as simple!? I found it daunting to acieve relatively simple things, although I can see it is a powerful bit of kit.

Try downloading "Audacity" and running it though that - it has a number of filters you can apply.

I'm not sure Audacity qualifies as simple!? I found it daunting to acieve relatively simple things, although I can see it is a powerful bit of kit.

Audacity can be daunting but the "trick" is to find an otherwise silent part of the recording, use that to identify the noise then apply the noise reduction filter to the whole recording. If you try to get rid of noise across the whole recording without that first step AND do this with the filter turned up too high then the results will be poor.

Sounds more complicated than it is but check the Audacity noise-reduction tutorial at

and you'll find it reasonably straightforward.

Audacity can be daunting but the "trick" is to find an otherwise silent part of the recording, use that to identify the noise then apply the noise reduction filter to the whole recording. If you try to get rid of noise across the whole recording without that first step AND do this with the filter turned up too high then the results will be poor.

Sounds more complicated than it is but check the Audacity noise-reduction tutorial at

and you'll find it reasonably straightforward.

Thank you all for your advice. I'll wait till I feel strong and determined then I'll take your advice and watch the tutorial.

What? And lose the beauty of my youthful voice?!!

I'm sure you sang with the crows! :wacko:

I'm sure you sang with the crows! :wacko:

That's more how I sing now. I may be forced to email you a clean copy; difficult with Carmina Burana!