House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Wristband Maker Fitbit Valued At $4.1Bn After Raising Flotation Price

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33178793

Wearable tech company Fitbit has garnered a valuation of more than $4bn (£2.5bn) after selling shares in its initial public offering (IPO).

Fitbit raised $732m after pricing its shares at $20 each, having increased the size and price range for a second time due to strong investor demand.

In its prospectus, Fitbit had initially aimed to sell shares between $14 and $16 each.

Shares will begin trading on the New York Stock Exchange on Thursday.

The firm - which will be using the symbol FIT - plans to use the money raised for research and development and possible acquisitions.

Fitbit makes wristbands that track fitness levels, such as calories burned and distance travelled.

Never heard of them and they are worth billions apparently!!! What else do they make apart from wristbands and does anyone on HPC have any of their tech?

The Keynesians have printed so much money they've engineered a second dot com bubble alongside the second housing bubble!

This is certainly what I think every time a new valuation estimate for Snapchat comes out - e.g. $19bn in Feb.

But it's all relative - if I've done the sums right, Rightmove's market cap edges Fitbit at close to $5bn.

They're the pioneers of wearable tech and in very good position to set the standards for constant personal activity/sleep/health/position tracking. They're not only good in capturing, but evidently great at processing the data. Whoever makes it first, will out-capitalize Apple and Google, since health and location data for millions of people is more valuable than whatever Google captures from search and mail.

The value of wearables for the manufacturer is the data they gather from their customers, not just income from selling the devices.

About 1/2 a falling down office block in Westminster.

Doubt Benjamin Graham would have been a buyer.

Fitbit makes wristbands that track fitness levels, such as calories burned and distance travelled.

Dont free apps do this? (I'm not a fitness slave but loads of free apps for walking, mapping etc etc.)

Edited by R K

Fitness wear is completely pointless for about 95% of people anyway. If you are fat just do some exercise and eat less. You don't need a silly bracelet.

Why would anyone in their right mind want their positional and other personal data recorded and sent to the internet anyway? Crazy.

Pedometers are a good way to give yourself an idea of how much activity you are doing and can incentivise you to do more.

However, you don't need to spend the sort of big bucks that the likes of Fitbit want as you can get pretty simple ones which serve the purpose for maybe 20% of the price.

Currently, Fitbit are being sued by a rival, Jawbone, so it's a bad time for them to do an IPO.

Fitness wear is completely pointless for about 95% of people anyway. If you are fat just do some exercise and eat less. You don't need a silly bracelet.

Why would anyone in their right mind want their positional and other personal data recorded and sent to the internet anyway? Crazy.

I noticed on the new Apple Watch commercial it has a poor woman instructed by her expensive watch to "stand up!" whilst working.

This is techno fascism - doing what you are told by Apple. I find it quite absurd.

Ok it's an American company but imagine the sports facilities that there could be in the UK if that sort of money went into facilities rather than wristbands.

Ok it's an American company but imagine the sports facilities that there could be in the UK if that sort of money went into facilities rather than wristbands.

Imagine if we just kept building new cool stuff for no proven practical purpose using other people's money....oh wait.

Its all very well saying we can build new facilities for everyone...at some point someone has to spend the time and, god forbid weekends and evenings, building a business to pay for it all. Less people are doing this because everyone wants a life full of options for free and since we can keep borrowing from ourselves no one has noticed that we're just heading for prolonged decline...like any empire in history.

I am reminded of Jim Royle

WEIGHTWATCHERS! A ROOM FULL OF FAT-ARSED WOMEN PAYING LOADS MONEY TO BE TOLD NOT TO SHOVEL FOOD INTO THEIR GOBS.

My body comes complete with built in heart rate monitor, so good, I dont even have to watch it, and better still, it actually adjusts my efforts to match my heart's capabilities...didnt cost me a penny.

The US stock markets are so much more explosive.

FITBUG listed in the UK AIM LSE:FITB is 4.625p

Marketcap under £12m

No tip or investment advice but they make a similar product. If it goes to £15 a share, well there's your house 5% deposit. I have no position.

fitbug3-100019921-large.png

Edited by 200p

Imagine if we just kept building new cool stuff for no proven practical purpose using other people's money....oh wait.

Its all very well saying we can build new facilities for everyone...at some point someone has to spend the time and, god forbid weekends and evenings, building a business to pay for it all. Less people are doing this because everyone wants a life full of options for free and since we can keep borrowing from ourselves no one has noticed that we're just heading for prolonged decline...like any empire in history.

There's a real shortage of decent reasonably priced sports facilities in the UK compared to most other developed nations and it reflects in the nation's health apart from it's glaring lack of success in many popular competitive sports.

Let the billions spent on plastic wristbands stay there by all means but investing similar sums of money on sports facilities would be far more beneficial to the UK and UK life overall than the hundreds of billions of taxpayers money spent bailing out the crooked bankers and subsidising crazy house prices - for instance. The wristband sums of money are of course a fraction of the bankers bailout money.

Edited by billybong

I am pretty fit but have a base Fitbit, they don't all do the positional stuff. find it a pretty good reminder ( I.e jump off the train a stop or two early and walk) on days when I can't do any proper training, yep it's a gimmick but most consumer tech is

You can compare against friends which works as a motivator

There's a real shortage of decent reasonably priced sports facilities in the UK compared to most other developed nations and it reflects in the nation's health apart from it's glaring lack of success in many popular competitive sports.

Let the billions spent on plastic wristbands stay there by all means but investing similar sums of money on sports facilities would be far more beneficial to the UK and UK life overall than the hundreds of billions of taxpayers money spent bailing out the crooked bankers and subsidising crazy house prices - for instance. The wristband sums of money are of course a fraction of the bankers bailout money.

Not sure it would there are plenty of reasonably priced sports facilities out there but people still don't go most gym operators are marginal in terms of revenue. Integrating fitness into normal life is what's missing and perhaps smart watches and bands help with that

I am pretty fit but have a base Fitbit, they don't all do the positional stuff. find it a pretty good reminder ( I.e jump off the train a stop or two early and walk) on days when I can't do any proper training, yep it's a gimmick but most consumer tech is

You can compare against friends which works as a motivator

I tried that, its a long way from Shenfield to Colchester.