House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ccc

Us Church Shooting

BBC - "police are searching for a white gunman who opened fire at an African American church"

Firstly - how can a church be 'African American' ? Are you not allowed in if your not of that background ?!

Secondly - If the situation were reversed they certainly wouldn't be reporting it with similar wordings !!

The BBC is almost becoming a parody of itself with the legths it goes to - to be 'politically correct'.

When is it going to stop - please !!

It is Alabama. I hear what you are saying but the use of language, which seems wrong to us Brits, is normal in the US. They would have been called 'black' churches once but then they became African American.

How awful. People going to pray and this happening. I hope they know who the person is and stop him befor ehe does it again.

I understand this - was over that way recently so seen it first hand.

However - why is a British news channel reporting it this way ?

Situation reversed - a 'white' church and a black gunman ?

"police are searching for a black gunman who opened fire at white church"

Not in a million years.

I think it's shocking for this to happen whether it's a church or a McDonald's. I don't think a church makes it any worse.

Reported as a hate crime.

As with most of these stories - I imagine there is more to it than first meets the eye.

Of course it is possible that a racist white bloke decided to walk in and kill them all because they were black. There are no doubt such nutters in the US.

My guess would be on more than that though.

In my direct experience segregation is standard in the southern US by common consent, you get black towns and White towns and hence black and white churches.

IMO the reporting is fair enough, or rather would be if the BBC would report it in the same way if it was reversed.

I don't think they would. The white church would become a church, the black gunnan would become a gunman, and they would assume that it wasn't a "hate crime".

Exactly ^

I just want even balanced reporting. In fact the BBC legally have a charter to do this. They clearly don't though.

Oddly they didnt report that a State Senator was among the victims...Assasination?

In my direct experience segregation is standard in the southern US by common consent, you get black towns and White towns and hence black and white churches.

IMO the reporting is fair enough, or rather would be if the BBC would report it in the same way if it was reversed.

I don't think they would. The white church would become a church, the black gunnan would become a gunman, and they would assume that it wasn't a "hate crime".

Those are the words of the local police chief.

Nine people have died in a shooting at a historic African-American church in Charleston in the US state of South Carolina, officials say.

City police chief Gregory Mullen said eight of the victims were killed inside the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday evening, while another person died shortly afterwards.

Police are now searching for a white male suspect in his 20s.

"I do believe it was a hate crime," Mr Mullen said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33179019

There's video of him saying it too.

Guest eight

How awful. People going to pray and this happening.

Well fairly conclusive proof that it doesn't work, at least.

The fact that it is a church is hardly relevant at all. It's a shooting. The location is irrelevant.

Why would you say that? If it was a shooting at a Hells Angel rally or a drum and bass festival, both notorious for violence, then I would think it was par for the course.

A church or an old people's home for that matter, are not places that attract even casual violence so a shooting is much more shocking.

What makes this shooting a little more shocking/ surprising, to me anyway, is that it didn't take in some hick town in Alabama but in downtown, twee, relatively prosperous and urbane Charleston.

Though I suppose if you're dealing with one random nutter this sort of thing could happen anywhere in the States.

Re. calling out race in news reports, my understanding is in the States anyway that the code word for non Caucasian perps is 'youth'.

And from the off, its being investigated as a Hate crime.

personally, Id be investigating the crime, which in murder would include, motive, opportunity and means.

Later, when the evidence is in, id charge accordingly.

Exactly ^

I just want even balanced reporting. In fact the BBC legally have a charter to do this. They clearly don't though.

It shocks me that you are still shocked at the BBC's lack of balance in it's reporting! Especially seen as you are Scottish!