House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Britain Has 1% Of The Global Population But Spends 7% Of The World's Benefits, Says Osborne As He Clears The Way For Cuts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3128413/Britain-1-global-population-spends-7-world-s-benefits-says-Osborne-clears-way-cuts.html

Britain has only one per cent of the world's population but accounts for 7 per cent of all welfare spending on the planet, George Osborne claimed today as he pushed for more benefits cuts.

The Chancellor insisted that the current benefits system is 'completely unsustainable' and changes were needed to make it fairer to working people who pay tax to fund the welfare state.

Mr Osborne was making his first appearance at Prime Minister's Questions, standing in for David Cameron who is abroad.

29B5F8B600000578-0-image-a-3_14345566734

Hmm I immediately suspect misleading data, can't think why. Anyone on here know where the figures are coming from?

from the article:

They also played down the suggestion that Mr Osborne was not looking to cut benefits to either 1 or 4 per cent of the global total.
I want to type below the quote but the editor won't let me. I'd say "good", that means he IS looking to cut benefits by that much :)
Edited by mrtickle

If only he could find a way to lower living standards to those in Chindia & Africa

Man is a complete buffoon.

If only he could find a way to lower living standards to those in Chindia & Africa

Have to agree with you - what an extraordinarily bizarre comparison.

Globalisation has raised the living standards of those in Chindia and Africa faster and far more effectively than all aid programs in history combined in my opinion.

How many countries have no welfare system to speak of?

Is he planning to cut GDP as well out of interest as it looks like we have 3% too much using gidiot logic

Globalisation has raised the living standards of those in Chindia and Africa faster and far more effectively than all aid programs in history combined in my opinion.

Not just your opinion.

Business + trade has lifted more people out of poverty than getting them to beg for food.

Compare China/Asia with Africa.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/10/15/more-than-82-million-chinese-live-on-less-than-1-a-day/

China lifted nearly 40 million people out of poverty last year, by its own measure, but more than 82 million rural Chinese still get by on less than $1 a day, a senior government official said.

“Poverty is still a salient problem in China,” Zheng Wenkai, a vice-minister at a government office responsible for poverty alleviation and development, said at a news briefing Tuesday, according to the state-run China Daily newspaper. About 200 million Chinese, or 15% of the country’s population, would be considered poor by international poverty measures, set at $1.25 a day, Mr. Zheng added.

China’s poor are often beset by inadequate infrastructure and a lack of access to education, health care and loans, and are vulnerable to natural disasters, Mr. Zheng said at the briefing, according to the Global Times tabloid.

His comments come days ahead of China’s inaugural “Poverty Alleviation Day” on Friday, designated as a way to raise public awareness on the issue. The government hopes to lift 10 million people out of poverty this year, and plans to reform assistance programs that have been hit by allegations of funds misuse, Mr. Zheng added.

Hmm please tell me how many people in Britain live on a $1 a day? Perhaps Ozzie should cut benefits to this level so we can compete with China?

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/china-more-82-million-people-live-below-poverty-line-1470313

China poverty and child abandonment

One of the consequences of the widespread poverty in China is the high incidence of child abandonment throughout the country.

In March 2014, authorities were forced to close a baby hatch (a place where parents can abandon unwanted new-born infants) in Guangzhou, capital of Guandong, after a dramatic increase in the number of abandoned babies.

Since it had opened on 28 January 2014, the baby hatch received 262 abandoned babies.

A similar thing occurred at the Jinan Orphanage, eastern China, which received 106 children in just 11 days, since its opening on 1 June.

UNICEF said there were around 712,000 orphans in China in 2010 - the latest statistic available - but child welfare groups believed the number could be much bigger.

GDP is such a useless and meaningless statistic, whenever I see GDP mentioned I just read it as shorthand for "everything that follows is a bunch of BS and lies"

+1, I'm sure all the people at the office of national statistics are well meaning but it smells like BS to me too.

A lot of that welfare is going into bricks and mortar though, so I don't know if this is good or bad news.

I've no doubt no rentiers will suffer in any cuts

A lot of that welfare is going into bricks and mortar though, so I don't know if this is good or bad news.

I've no doubt no rentiers will suffer in any cuts

It is not going on "bricks and mortar". It is going on landlords flashy cars, fine wining and dining and foreign holidays.

It is not going on "bricks and mortar". It is going on landlords flashy cars, fine wining and dining and foreign holidays.

And bankers bonuses.

Just to make things easier for oldies like me,

Could left wingers please make entries in red, right wingers in blue?

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/10/15/more-than-82-million-chinese-live-on-less-than-1-a-day/

Hmm please tell me how many people in Britain live on a $1 a day? Perhaps Ozzie should cut benefits to this level so we can compete with China?

China? Ground zero of the global debt ponzi.

http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/chinas-monumental-debt-trap-why-it-will-rock-the-global-economy/

For the moment, forget about leverage ratios, debt carrying capacity and all the other fancy economic metrics. Does it seem likely that a country which is still run by a communist dictatorship and which was on the verge of mass starvation and utter impoverishment only 35 years ago could have prudently increased its outstanding total debt (public and private) from $2 trillion to $28 trillion or by 14X in the short span of 14 years? And especially when half of this period encompassed what is held to be the greatest global financial crisis of modern times.

And don’t forget that most of this staggering sum of debt was issued by a “banking” system (and its shadow banking affiliates) which is bereft of any and every known mechanism of financial discipline and market constraints on risk and credit extension. In effect, it is simply a vast pyramidal appendage of the Chinese state in which credit is conjured from thin air by the trillions, and then cascaded in plans and quotas down through regions, counties, cities and towns.

When it reaches its end destination it finances the building of anything that local politicians, bureaucrats and red capitalists can dream up. That includes factories, roads, ports, subways, bridges, airports, malls, apartments and all the rest of the construction projects being undertaken on Beijing’s Noah’s ark.

Just to make things easier for oldies like me,

Could left wingers please make entries in red, right wingers in blue?

:)

Enviromentalists in green, Islamists in black, feminists in pink, gays in rainbow, etc.

By the same kind of logic we must also be massively overspending on defense ; since we have the fifth largest military budget in the world despite having only 1% of the worlds population.

So can we expect to see Osborne enacting massive cuts here too, to ensure our defense spending reflects our global population ratio?

And how about the health service? The NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world - yet we only have 1% of the worlds population- so again we must expect savage cuts to bring this expenditure in line with our global population ratio.

The same must be true of pensions- and infrastructure ect ect.

This is a joke surely- because using the metric of global population ratio must mean we are overspending on just about everything from education to the agricultural subsides that have paid out over a million pounds to one family alone in the past ten years- that family being the close relatives of Ian Duncan Smith.

Edited by wonderpup

7th Richest Nation in the World and the Known Universe spends a lot of money shocker.