House Price Crash Forum

Todays Homes Under The Hammer

HOLA441

Bought at Auction for £126K

After blinging up valued by agents at £165K

Developer laughed at this, said they had already been offered £195K and turned it down.

Put on market at £249K

Two years later still on market at newly enlarged price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43720595.html?premiumA=true

The developer is "prepared to be patient" until the right idiot comes along.

They will be waiting a long time.................................

Edit to add: £5K pa service charge and no parking space either!

Edited by hellsbells

HOLA442

Already been discussed on her ages ago !! So yet another HUTH repeat. Shock horror.

I saw one last week. It was the classic format.

Agent sees it post auction. Cost £100k (For example).They say do it up to a good standard and we should sell it for £140k.

3 months later. Done up to nice standard. Another EA comes around (Probably because the original one doesnt want to look like an idiot) - says its been done up to a good standard - and goes on to say we can sell it for 170k !! And this was from about 2009 in some hole in Essex/Kent IIRC. So the market there at that time was most certainly going down and not up.

Much of that show is just fiction.

Edited by ccc

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Just about the shyteist television ever made. It makes "The One Show" look good.

Certainly the most depressing. I reckon if you don't own a house there might be a bit of pleasure in seeing all the things that go wrong with houses like the fact that if you don't maintain them they start falling to bits. As a homeowner who knows what bloody money pits houses are it's one to be avoided.

Biggest hates are programmes about selling houses and antiques.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA447

Certainly the most depressing...

'Britain's hardest grafter'?: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/bbc-to-pit-lowpaid-against-each-other-in-hunger-gamesstyle-show-to-find-britains-hardest-grafter-10279386.html

"BBC Two explores the front line of our nation's low wage economy in this new series which follows Brits from across the country through a series of real-world jobs to find Britain’s Hardest Worker. These jobs will take place both out in the workplace and within the confines of a specially created factory, a warehouse space which over the course of five episodes will be transformed to cover the UK's largest blue collar sectors..." http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/kim-shillinglaw-announces-new-commissions

With extra irony because I guess it's funded by the ministry of media's regressive licence fee.

HOLA448

Already been discussed on her ages ago !! So yet another HUTH repeat. Shock horror.

Ah - my mistake sorry - only usually get to catch it on a Monday - it's the ironing programme of choice. Still an absolute corker - took all of 1.3 seconds to find on rightmove - it is still sitting there untouched after two years, total criminal waste of a home for someone.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yes, this property has it's own thread on 'ere somewhere...

Still can't get over the service charge though. Even if someone agrees to buy it outright at the inflated asking price, paying that service charge will feel exactly like paying rent on another property. Jesus. :(

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The estate agents are in full turd polishing ******** mode as usual:

Step out onto the Leas and take you pick of where to walk. Take a stroll to the creative quarter to pick up that painting you’ve had your eye on? Maybe even walk down to have a glass of something fizzy at Rocksalt whilst taking in the harbour views.

They forgot to add, "Perhaps avoid eye contact with the old Bulgarian bloke pushing a pram and then hide from the roaming Romanian savages out to rob and stab you."

Edited by bubbleturbo

• 6 months later...
HOLA4417

Watched a bit of today's episode. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v5kb/broadcasts/2015/12

Episode 55, series 18 (DEC15)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04tg67d

"Property renovation series. Martin and Lucy are in London, the Midlands and Scotland looking around properties sold under the hammer."

One-bed mezzanine flat starts about 14mins in, and then back at 44mins. WTF spiral staircase into floor and then a ladder up into the bed?

HOLA4418

Caught a bit of this show yesterday, wannabe property developer, paid £294k at auction. Lucy warned that "overdeveloping could ruin your margin". He proceeded to do exactly that spending £100k. As usual they got two local EAs to suggest it was worth £450k - £500k. The mug who bought it joked his wife might want to move in, highest price achieved in that street, £395k.

Get this they must have been laughing at the name of the street, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=49506088&sale=51249200&country=england

The show was a bit odd, in that all the projects were from last year, and it appeared that they were struggling to finish the show. Love to know what they currently say knowing that they won't be able to "rent it out" when impossible to sell on.

HOLA4419
  • 4 years later...
HOLA4420

Bump!

By coincidence earlier this morning I switched on my TV and lo and behold, an episode of HUTH was on.

Although I missed the start, I did smirk on the revisit to a tower block flat in Glasgow. I think the developer (and his partners) paid £92k for it. Spend a whopping £27k doing it up. It looked nice, I'll give him that. I didn't like the wall between the kitchen and living room was removed and the living room door to the hall was missing. Installed expensive furniture from China and probably cost another bomb to import.

Estate Agents came back: "Wow, looks great!" Valuations? £85k. D'oh! :lol:

Developer didn't seem too bothered as the flat was going to be used as a short term holiday rental. :blink: So AirBnb then?! :rolleyes: I don't know about anyone else but if I was looking for an airbnb, I wouldn't want to stay in a council housing block - and I write this as a current council tenant.

I'd love to know how he got on renting it out.

HOLA4421

Bump!

By coincidence earlier this morning I switched on my TV and lo and behold, an episode of HUTH was on.

Although I missed the start, I did smirk on the revisit to a tower block flat in Glasgow. I think the developer (and his partners) paid £92k for it. Spend a whopping £27k doing it up. It looked nice, I'll give him that. I didn't like the wall between the kitchen and living room was removed and the living room door to the hall was missing. Installed expensive furniture from China and probably cost another bomb to import.

Estate Agents came back: "Wow, looks great!" Valuations? £85k. D'oh! :lol:

Developer didn't seem too bothered as the flat was going to be used as a short term holiday rental. :blink: So AirBnb then?! :rolleyes: I don't know about anyone else but if I was looking for an airbnb, I wouldn't want to stay in a council housing block - and I write this as a current council tenant.

I'd love to know how he got on renting it out.

Would be surprised if the council being the freeholder would allow short term rentals. 

But hey ho. Prob of finding out 1 in a million.. Just being realistic. 

HOLA4422

Would be surprised if the council being the freeholder would allow short term rentals. 

But hey ho. Prob of finding out 1 in a million.. Just being realistic. 

Good point. They probably would find out if the other residents were to put in complaints about it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Good point. They probably would find out if the other residents were to put in complaints about it.

Or if the flat was to appear on national daytime TV with the owner saying " the flat is going to be used as a short term holiday rental."

HOLA4425