House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Footballers Struggle To Sell Over Priced Houses...

Footballers are struggling to sell their lavish multi-million pound mansions when they move clubs - because no one else can afford them
article-3123657-299F01D800000578-511_636

Cheshire's Golden Triangle is home to several of the luxury homes, snapped up by footballers for Premier Leagues clubs including Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool. But the sportsmen - including Cristiano Ronaldo (top left), Emile Heskey (top right) and Wes Brown (bottom right) - struggle to sell the top properties on when they transfer. The area around Wilmslow, Knutsford, Prestbury and Alderley Edge boasts five of the ten most expensive streets in the North West. One couple struggling to sell up is former Manchester United player Wes Brown (bottom right), 35, and his wife Leanne Wassell. They put their Prestbury mansion on the market in July 2010 when Brown moved to Sunderland. The property was originally up for £4.5million, but the couple were forced to knock £1.5million off the price tag in an attempt to sell.

Perhaps they aren't worth what they paid for them????

Whats that? They've bought an asset without thinking about who would be able to buy it next?

That'll never happen to my mum,sat in her '200k' house in a place where the majority of 30_ year old can get a ~90k mortgage tops and probably put down a 5k deposit.

Its all a matter of scale.

They've made a mistake with one of those houses. Girl who went to my school used to live there before Ronaldo.

Ronaldo lived there for some years (not particularly an exclusive house imo). Then he had a monster mansion built in Alderley Edge..

Ronaldo used to live in Woodford, quite near the refinery entrance. His house was bought by a mortgage broker in late 2006, and has recently gone back on the market.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1126284_ronaldos_former_home_for_sale

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33605845.html
Number 351: Bought for £750,000 on 3rd November 2006.

This is the house he moved to in Alderley Edge

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-561785/Neighbours-fury-Man-United-star-Ronaldos-offensive-brutal-4million-mansion.html

Conflicting reports that he sold it to other footballer(s) over the years, but latest suggests he's still owner.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/luke-shaw-living-cristiano-ronaldos-4888860

You need to look at the land registry figures for sales over £1m in this area and compare it to the number of houses for sale at those prices to see the market is somewhat smaller than they would have you believe.

(this was certainly the case last time the relevant figures were posted here)

Unless they have had it built, I suspect what happens is that they buy a perfectly nice house and then proceed to spend a lot of money on blinging it up and high-speccing it in almost oligarch-ish mode. And they don't realise a) that there are not enoug people wanting a house that smacks of loadsamoney and no taste, whether they can afford it or not, and b] many of those who could actually afford it would never pay that sort of asking price only to have to spend a lot more turning it back into something that won't make them cringe.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Unless they have had it built, I suspect what happens is that they buy a perfectly nice house and then proceed to spend a lot of money on blinging it up and high-speccing it in almost oligarch-ish mode. And they don't realise a) that there are not enoug people wanting a house that smacks of loadsamoney and no taste, whether they can afford it or not, and b] many of those who could actually afford it would never pay that sort of asking price only to have to spend a lot more turning it back into something that won't make them cringe.

Indeed, the number of people with more money and less taste than footballers is very very small, probably zero,

Alderley Edge? More like Alderley Nondescript. I guess the proximity of Manchester airport is the draw for these foriegn footballer johnnies.

Alderley Edge? More like Alderley Nondescript. I guess the proximity of Manchester airport is the draw for these foriegn footballer johnnies.

Umm.....United, Citeh, Anfailed, Bolton, Blackburn, Stoke etc etc....

That pic is wrong for Ronaldo. he had a new house built in Alderley, that pic was the first house he rented in Bramhall. Modest by later standards (& earnings)

Edited by R K

I once wanted to buy there - quiet/peaceful, was my view. I used to like walking around National Trust Alderley Edge with the dog (I don't buy into that 'legend' King Arthur and 1000 knights magically caved in somewhere around there, to rise when England faces its darkest house - so like Nessie myth for me), read the Weirdstone of Brisingamen as a kid, all based there with Arthur silly legend.

It's all a bit too posy for me though, at times, in the village/people around. And a bit too far out from town.. that extra distance, and I never fully understood the school catchment situation too (except for the expensive private schools there).

Still asking loads all these years on...

http://www.rightmove...y-33621951.html

Lot going on around there now. You have the refinery close by. Right behind the house is BAE land for Woodford... despite best efforts of the Conservative candidate to prevent the building of new homes(now MP), they've just about knocked down BAE Woodford... lots of new homes to be built. And a new bypass set to run just out front too, being built from Stockport end right now.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/stockport-bae-site-development-approved-7532647

It seems madness to me that any footballer would buy unless they had a long term connection to a place/planned to retire there. They are the very definition of a highly mobile global worker.

Clearly all of them hoped this would be an investment as well as a place to live.

It seems madness to me that any footballer would buy unless they had a long term connection to a place/planned to retire there. They are the very definition of a highly mobile global worker.

Clearly all of them hoped this would be an investment as well as a place to live.

.....I doubt it, not always the case.......I am sure there are more hangers on making money from their wealth and success their rise in fame and fortune than the footballers or add *another well paid profession* themselves........professional people with loads of dosh are keeping very many more in luxury living, people who have a vested interest in them and their growing but short lived fortune..... ;)

Many of them rent, at least initially. When they were paid less often the clubs owned the houses they rented. Latterly there has been somewhat of a trend for them to have houses built on the same road for a number of reasons. Also ofc many of them are into BTL cause its an investment innit and frankly when you earn £100k-£250k+ a week, what else are you going to do with it? Not sure even Bestie could blow that sort of cash just on cars, booze & women. So you buy houses and rent them out to other footballers.

Next to Alderley Edge is Prestbury.. where Wes Brown's mansion is.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-26034580.html

You do get some property-smart footballers though. I think he's left City now (can't recall), but at least this guy idn't pay 2011 asking price for house at the time. No problem selling when he left City.. for he just gave notice to landlord.. how much has he saved by not buying at initial asking price. A LOT, imo.

Then you've got smart(ish) guy Scott Sinclair who signed for Man City not long ago, who has also chosen to rent in Prestbury.

Rent: http://www.rightmove...y-21221733.html

Buy: http://www.rightmove...y-17427114.html (see PB)

Asking price for rent has fallen significantly, and anyone surely would have regretted buying it at the 2010 asking price, given it's since had two asking price cuts to the best part of half a million pounds, and seems to still be for sale, looking for a big money buyer, whilst tenanted.

Zoopla TemptMe™: £3,250,000 - Posted on: 7th May 2010

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/32-heybridge-lane/prestbury/macclesfield/sk10-4es/21569179

Not that you can explain that logic to property-mad long-time owners who've only known HPI. Pick of the comments from the newspaper story about him renting.

Why would anyone rent at £6500/month? Better to get a mortgage I'd have thought. (608 green arrows)

- Mark, Wroxham, 2/10/2012 19:09

Got tenants? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49210798.html

This general area, for higher mansions (so many of them) I've got marked as set for HPC Massive.

You need to look at the land registry figures for sales over £1m in this area and compare it to the number of houses for sale at those prices to see the market is somewhat smaller than they would have you believe.

(this was certainly the case last time the relevant figures were posted here)

I'm not sure exactly which postcodes would encompass Cheshire's 'Golden Triangle', but Zoopla lists SK9, SK10, SK11 and WA16.

In 2014, 59 properties sold for £1 million or above in these postcodes according to the LR price-paid stats. So far in 2015, 7 sales have been recorded.

Currently on Rightmove there are over 200 properties listed for sale in these postcodes for £1m+.

Guest eight

Perhaps they aren't worth what they paid for them????

That's certainly true of Sunderland and Wes Brown. Awful, awful excuse for a footballer.

I'm not sure exactly which postcodes would encompass Cheshire's 'Golden Triangle', but Zoopla lists SK9, SK10, SK11 and WA16.

In 2014, 59 properties sold for £1 million or above in these postcodes according to the LR price-paid stats. So far in 2015, 7 sales have been recorded.

Currently on Rightmove there are over 200 properties listed for sale in these postcodes for £1m+.

Wait until the summer to see the big name signings and until they start to look for new houses.

I would certsinly add WA14 and WA15 to the list, not sure about WA13.

A couple of years ago I'm sure there was 10 years+ supply on the market.

I would certsinly add WA14 and WA15 to the list, not sure about WA13.

Most of the players have bought existing homes/plots for, say c £1m, knocked down & rebuilt. So there arent sold prices in the £2-3m+ range unless theyve actually sold & few have.

Moreover, its not really about specific postcodes rather specific roads. So, Welbeck (ok, now with Arsenal), Jones, De gea, Joe hart and several others all live on the same road with Smalling, Mata & others just round the corner, Rooney, Carrick, Brown similar and so on. Its really its own specific market completely separate to the c £1m+ market. A bit like a footballers house micro-climate. The earnings are just so far away from "normalised" society today.

I would certainly add WA14 and WA15 to the list, not sure about WA13.

WA14 = 25 sales in 2014 (highest = £3.0m), 81 currently listed.

WA15 = 14 sales in 2014 (highest = £2.2m), 77 currently listed.

Is this Greater Manchester or Florida?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44896913.html