House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

What's The Worst Thing You've Bought On Ebay?

I once bought a camera. The illustration was from a catalogue - shiny and new. The camera I bought bore screwdriver marks on and around its tiny securing screws and had clearly been taken apart at some time. The two halves of the casing weren't aligned properly; it didn't work and it lacked the promised memory card.

Why did you buy my camera?

Fake/bootleg vinyl, this guy is selling it by the boatload, all made in china and laughably bad quality, I got a full refund so no complaints on that score but it is mystifying why so many other people seem happy with it.

Maybe some folks are just buying vinyl for the pose factor and not actually listening to it, a bit like people who buy books by the yard.

a supposed licensed copy of windows XP (some years ago now) for maybe £30 that was a burned cd-r with a cheaply printed out activation key. I demanded a refund and got it immediately.

Gillette razor blades made in a shed,a Magic Bullet blender that was a knock-off Amazing Bullet (and useless).

Asda have them 'cheap' at the moment - £5.97 for 4 or £10.97 for 8 of the expensive fusion ones

A second-hand scanner. The seller had packaged it with... brown paper. Nothing else.

Needless to say, the scanner's glass plate was smashed to pieces when I received it - in fact, when the ParcelPost guy handed me the parcel, you could hear the glass tinkling.

To be fair, I got an immediate refund from the seller.

Fake/bootleg vinyl, this guy is selling it by the boatload, all made in china and laughably bad quality, I got a full refund so no complaints on that score but it is mystifying why so many other people seem happy with it.

Maybe some folks are just buying vinyl for the pose factor and not actually listening to it, a bit like people who buy books by the yard.

I got caught out with one of those, but that was through the Discogs website. I don't think it's the same seller. The record in question was the "Office Space" soundtrack which I ordered late one night after a few beers and didn't read the details thoroughly.

What arrived was a new amateur pressing from what sounds like a barely 8 bit source, the sound quality is so bad that even YouTube is an improvement, and it crackled on the first play because it's cut so badly.

The vinyl market has evidently soared enough for it to be profitable enough for people to get the kit to cut their own vinyl pressings and sell them.

I believe I read that something like 25% of all new vinyl is never actually played.

Asda have them 'cheap' at the moment - £5.97 for 4 or £10.97 for 8 of the expensive fusion ones

Thanks - I don't trust any online source now. Apparently,and it could be BS but Gillette make a cheap version which are made for the 3rd world and they get in through to us via the grey market. Look the same and work okay for a short while but blunt much faster.

A tap and die set. It was £20 which was less than half what you'd expect. I should know better. Cheese grade metal, machined using a knife and fork. Went straight in the bin.

I got a load of DeWalt screwdriver bits a while back. Turns out they were fake. I just go to Screwix for tools now.

A tap and die set. It was £20 which was less than half what you'd expect. I should know better. Cheese grade metal, machined using a knife and fork. Went straight in the bin.

I got a load of DeWalt screwdriver bits a while back. Turns out they were fake. I just go to Screwix for tools now.

Screwfix is a "Temple of Blokeyness" despite the name.

Mr Renting's worn out sybian.

Thanks - I don't trust any online source now. Apparently,and it could be BS but Gillette make a cheap version which are made for the 3rd world and they get in through to us via the grey market. Look the same and work okay for a short while but blunt much faster.

If you look at the reviews of them on Amazon many of the reviewers state that they do not think they are genuine. But many others think they are.

Pair of fake diesel jeans, got a full refund after I informed the seller that my trading standards colleagues would be paying him a visit to have a chat if he refused. I still put an intel report to the local authority after I received the refund not sure what happened to him :unsure:

Just recently, a cheapo multimeter. It was used it once then it refused to work again binned it last week.

As I've already mentioned on an earlier thread, a pair of cheap rechargeable 'Trustfire' lithium-ion batteries. Popped one of them in a not cheap, well made, fully sealed flashlight. Finished up with a modern recreation of a 14th century hand canon. Fortunately, I wasn't pointing the flashlight at anything organic when it went off.

Cheap li-ions from a random supplier, just don't

Any time we clear any branded goods on ebay we always get a lot of obviously baseless allegations things are fake.

There probably are quite a few fakes and knock offs on ebay but I would say a fair chunk of customer disappointment will be the brand owner either changing the specification or manufacturing source altogether since the last time they bought the product.

Obviously, you can't tell customers but, a lot of stuff they allege is fake is so cheap and high profit margin from the genuine source that the idea of anyone bothering to produce a fake version is laughable. Some is quite amusing they forward things like high resolution images showing subtle differences in ink colour on the packaging as for some reason they imagine mass produced, in China, blistercards for stuff costing a couple of quid has the security features of bank notes.

We clear stuff anonymously, on there, but I was speaking to someone form Argos, who display their brand on the site, and apparently they get the same.

An office putting practice auto return thingy.

Did not auto return.

A smashed up desktop PC.

The seller tried to blame the courier for the smashed dented contents even though the outer box was prisitne.

Oh yeah forgot, the very worst was 10 small tubes of Jasper Conran after shave balm.

The vendor had clearly kept his empties, and filled up with super drug body butter or something equally horrendous.

I negged the living daylights out of him and got warned by Ebay as to my future conduct. Not surprising as he had several houses in the Manc area for sale on there at the time.

Pair of fake diesel jeans, got a full refund after I informed the seller that my trading standards colleagues would be paying him a visit to have a chat if he refused. I still put an intel report to the local authority after I received the refund not sure what happened to him :unsure:

Just recently, a cheapo multimeter. It was used it once then it refused to work again binned it last week.

Might be better to shop at Maplin. I got a lovely posh one for about £70.

If it's selling for £2.99, ther is probably a good reason for it.

Soap you say? That's a bit la-di-da!

IDShot_540x540.jpg

When we were kids we used to put washing up liquid in the bath :D

Welsh Scrabble! An "L" is worth nothing