House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Caring, Sharing Youngsters Get A Boost As New £2M Homesharing Initiative Is Launched

Back in Downton Abbey days didn't live-in servants get paid for their work rather than having to pay their masters?

Paying to be a carer, I can think of two words for this. How about the old person moves in with the young person, pays them for their board and for the care they provide.

This is all about the government saving money caring for the old while allowing house prices to stay high.

I can see a young person in this scheme conversing with the old person. Inevitably what you've done in your past will come up.

"When I was your age I went to Woodstock" or "I moved here to work in this job, then I got this job and lived here etc." and "My parents were in a care home"

Won't be part of the same sentence or conversation but will be said by the same person.

There are so many dead end corners for Baby Boomers in conversation with anyone but themselves. I could hack this kind of thing if I'm aged 12 because it wouldn't seem relevant but as an adult I think the conversation might be a little dry and most of the people who lived through WW2 are gone now so you won't be hearing anything interesting.

I had a brief look at volunteering with the elderly in the past, I was put off when I realised it was actually more difficult to be a volunteer than to get a job. Lots of "positions" were advertised like jobs, 2-3 interviews (phone, face-to-face), DBS check and application. Completely put me off, not going through that process to volunteer my own time.

This "big society" idea seems to be cutting any government support to poor, disabled and elderly people and expecting other poor or stretched people to step in and pick up the slack. I don't want to have to live in someone's home and basically be an unpaid carer because wages are pitiful and house prices are insane. Broken society.

I had a brief look at volunteering with the elderly in the past, I was put off when I realised it was actually more difficult to be a volunteer than to get a job. Lots of "positions" were advertised like jobs, 2-3 interviews (phone, face-to-face), DBS check and application. Completely put me off, not going through that process to volunteer my own time.

This "big society" idea seems to be cutting any government support to poor, disabled and elderly people and expecting other poor or stretched people to step in and pick up the slack. I don't want to have to live in someone's home and basically be an unpaid carer because wages are pitiful and house prices are insane. Broken society.

Agree, they do not want people working for free.......applied to do some care in the community on min wage and the hurdles you have to jump and hoops you have to jump through to get the training.... you have to pay course fees and travel long distance to get a piece of paper to allow you to work for sod all.......have come to the conclusion the health service don't want local help, they do not want to pay to train local people....they would prefer to import labour or pay huge sums in agency nursing.......the system is broke.

Since the government don't wish to pay small sums in wages to local people, they do not wish to pay or organise a training programme to train local people....many local people are doing it voluntary.......thousands of volunteers are out there, not recognised at all by the state.

Edited by winkie

This scheme can have many dimensions :

1) New JSA claimants may be forced into caring job as caring seems to be the only booming job industry at the moment.

2) Existing WTC claimants (single ones) working part time can be forced to take on extra 10hrs/week in return of HB.

3) Sooner or later boomers may be forced to take more people in according to their house size or else forced to pay/pay more for their care.

4) Meanwhile the so called charitable organisations will continue to get their fee.

The good side of it :

5) This slowly puncture the BTL bubble. 20 young people housed = 5 BTL LLs , 3 Bed semi shared by 4 people, out of business.

6) More charities/organisations/charities entering the business will further reduce renting costs. Would be nice to see if rents go down proportionally. A single person in London is probably paying a minimum of £500 in a shared house. £200 is a 60% reduction in rent.

7) If HB falls accordingly (60%) will market rents fall by 60%. If yes, more BTL LLs out of business. Less tax relief.

8) This may trigger forced BTL sale resulting into further price falls.

Finally, Happy renters = transfer of labour votes?

Edited by Fairyland