House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Funny Belgians

I read it on TheRegister...

The Belgian Royal Mint has just issued some commemorative coins celbrating the defeat of Napoleon at Battle of Waterloo. I'm ordering the whole set! :unsure:;)

They were on our side at the time, weren't they?

I have no idea, but the British, and the Prussians were fighting the French. Belgium was probably making beer and chocolate.

Perhaps some historian can enlighten me?

I have no idea, but the British, and the Prussians were fighting the French. Belgium was probably making beer and chocolate.

Perhaps some historian can enlighten me?

I have an idea that Waterloo took place in what is now Belgium. Belgium was not on the coalition that defeated Napoleon.

The London Mint has done one too.

I have an idea that Waterloo took place in what is now Belgium. Belgium was not on the coalition that defeated Napoleon.

Yes indeed, Waterloo is in Belgium. I have no idea whether Belgium was an actual country then. Germany and Italy were not.

The London Mint has done one too.

They would! :blink: ! Probably the Queen told them to do it.

I read it on TheRegister...

The Belgian Royal Mint has just issued some commemorative coins celbrating the defeat of Napoleon at Battle of Waterloo. I'm ordering the whole set! :unsure:;)

... to the annoyance of the French.

Belgium on Monday began minting €2.50 coins marking the 200th anniversary of Napoleon's defeat of at the Battle of Waterloo, after France forced it to scrap a two-euro coin made for the same purpose.

Paris objected to the new Belgian coin, commemorating the French emperor's defeat by British and Prussian forces, earlier this year, saying it would create tensions at a time when Europe's unity is under threat.

Belgium was forced to get scrap about 180,000 two-euro coins that had already been minted after Paris sent a letter saying they could cause an "unfavourable reaction in France".

But Belgium has managed to skirt the French protests using a rule that allows eurozone countries to unilaterally issue coins if they are in an irregular denomination - in this case, €2.50.

[etc...]

From the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/belgium/11661312/Belgium-defies-France-with-euro-coin-marking-Napoleon-defeat.html

They were on our side at the time, weren't they?

There was no such thing as Belgium at the time of Waterloo so no 'they' to be on anybody's side. In the 18th century what is now Belgium was ruled by the Austrian Habsburgs and occupied by the army of the Dutch Republic who used it as a territorial buffer against France. When the French started revolting against their royals in 1789 the Belgians also started revolting against Habsburg rule in favour of independence. The revolution failed and Austrian rule was restored but then the revolutionary French invaded in 1794 anyway. The French occupation created a resistance movement who wanted independence from France. After Waterloo in 1815 what is now Belgium was then unified with what is now the Netherlands to form the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. The kingdom didn't really work though as it was dominated by the Dutch and there were too many cultural differences between north and south (e.g. protestant vs Catholic) and in 1830 Belgium had another revolution and the south seceded to become the independent Belgium that we know today.

So in a way you could say "we" (as in the UK) were the bad guys at Waterloo just as much as the French from a Belgian perspective because after Waterloo we just moved Belgium from French occupation to Dutch domination rather than giving them independence.

Thanks for that, Mr AirMail! I have not been here for long, and I just wanted a holiday on the Blue Planet! :wacko:

There was no such thing as Belgium at the time of Waterloo so no 'they' to be on anybody's side. In the 18th century what is now Belgium was ruled by the Austrian Habsburgs and occupied by the army of the Dutch Republic who used it as a territorial buffer against France. When the French started revolting against their royals in 1789 the Belgians also started revolting against Habsburg rule in favour of independence. The revolution failed and Austrian rule was restored but then the revolutionary French invaded in 1794 anyway. The French occupation created a resistance movement who wanted independence from France. After Waterloo in 1815 what is now Belgium was then unified with what is now the Netherlands to form the United Kingdom of the Netherlands. The kingdom didn't really work though as it was dominated by the Dutch and there were too many cultural differences between north and south (e.g. protestant vs Catholic) and in 1830 Belgium had another revolution and the south seceded to become the independent Belgium that we know today.

So in a way you could say "we" (as in the UK) were the bad guys at Waterloo just as much as the French from a Belgian perspective because after Waterloo we just moved Belgium from French occupation to Dutch domination rather than giving them independence.

B#gger me

So at what point in all that did they start making really lovely liqueur chocolates?

Yes indeed, Waterloo is in Belgium. I have no idea whether Belgium was an actual country then. Germany and Italy were not.

They would! :blink: ! Probably the Queen told them to do it.

That part of Belgium was actually a part of the Netherlands at the time of Waterloo.

B#gger me

So at what point in all that did they start making really lovely liqueur chocolates?

Well, solid moulded chocolate as we would recognise it was invented in the second half of the 19th century, so around then I guess.

It was Napoleon who gave the Dutch their surnames. As many were basically called by their Christian name Napoleon insisted on them choosing surnames as part of a census. Many in an act of rebellion chose funny and flippant names.

You will see a classic example on our roads with lorries emblazoned with Visbeen...literally 'fish legs'. Or 'van den berg'....from the mountain.

Trouble is when Napoleon was defeated the new government thought it so useful the people had to stick with the names they chosen.

I was told this by a Dutch person over 30 years ago called Lelliveld....'lily field'.

http://baheyeldin.com/writings/culture/how-the-dutch-got-their-funny-names.html

Interesting, thanks!

After the Napoleonic Wars and then the Belgian uprising, the British essentially created it as a buffer between France and the Netherlands to stop these incessant recurring wars. (like we know of Germany and France today). They chaired an international conference and used their massive influence to this effect. That was then instrumental in triggering the first world war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_London_%281839%29

This.

For us it was particularly to keep Belgium's ports out of the control of a major continental power that could use them as a jumping off point for an invasion. In fact, after the 100 years war, most of our military involvement in the continent was aimed at keeping the nation safe from invasion by making sure there was no "enemy off the counterscarp".

Amongst other reasons, this was a major factor in Britain becoming involved in the Great War.

I like Belgium . . . spent some great times working there . . . wonderful restaurants. I was lucky to work there when three hour lunch breaks were considered good manners.

The whole French v Belgium bit is quite funny. Famous Belgians are adopted and feted as French . . . Simenon, Herge & Tintin, Brel . . . more recently Francis Cabrel . . .many people in France really do not know they are Belgian.

On the other hand, speaking Belgian French in Paris identifies as you as someone a little gauche, like a brummy accent on the BBC.

Funny Belgians, back on topic, . . . there are many. Leopold the 'builder King' who wanted the widest avenue in Europe (Avenue de Tervuren) . . . a seemingly futile aspiration.

Alas the Belgian Chocs have been sold to Nestle . . . but perhaps of you had seen their old factory near the Gare du Midi you would not have been so tempted.

I like Belgium . . . spent some great times working there . . . wonderful restaurants. I was lucky to work there when three hour lunch breaks were considered good manners.

The whole French v Belgium bit is quite funny. Famous Belgians are adopted and feted as French . . . Simenon, Herge & Tintin, Brel . . . more recently Francis Cabrel . . .many people in France really do not know they are Belgian.

On the other hand, speaking Belgian French in Paris identifies as you as someone a little gauche, like a brummy accent on the BBC.

Funny Belgians, back on topic, . . . there are many. Leopold the 'builder King' who wanted the widest avenue in Europe (Avenue de Tervuren) . . . a seemingly futile aspiration.

Alas the Belgian Chocs have been sold to Nestle . . . but perhaps of you had seen their old factory near the Gare du Midi you would not have been so tempted.

I hope you realise Tintin, and Poirot were fictitious.

Herge, and Magritte were not. Jean-Clad van Damme too! There's the pub quiz answer to "Name three famous Belgians"

I hope you realise Tintin, and Poirot were fictitious.

Herge, and Magritte were not. Jean-Clad van Damme too! There's the pub quiz answer to "Name three famous Belgians"

Not forgetting Plastic Bertrand, please.

There's the pub quiz answer to "Name three famous Belgians"

What about Rene Artois, Yvette Carte-Blanche and van Klomp?

Ah, the Gare du Midi! Could there ever be anywhere more romantic?

Not forgetting Plastic Bertrand, please.

We got this pub quiz sorted! ^_^