House Price Crash Forum
silver surfer

Horrible Landlord

I was talking to a guy who lives on my road.

He owns a house that was rented out, then he evicted the tenants and "put it up for sale", then a To Let sign goes up and before long a very nice family moved in. Ten months later they're booted out and they told me it was because the landlord was selling the place, the move was clearly unexpected and came at a bad time but they accepted it as one of those things. Yet no sooner have they moved out than a To Let sign goes up again.

Anyhow I asked the owner if he was having trouble selling. No, was his answer, but he doesn't like tenants being in longer than a year in case they get "rights". I said as far as I knew it was the landlord that held all the cards, "maybe" he replied, "but the law might change overnight and then I could be stuck".

What a loathsome man, messing people around to satisfy his bonkers paranoia.

He probably also thinks that he's providing a valuable service and that if people like him weren't renting out houses, the poor people would have nowhere to live.

The **** mentality is strong in the landlord breed.

What a loathsome man, messing people around to satisfy his bonkers paranoia.

Indeed extremely frustrating if one realizes what a hassle it is to move with small children on such short notice, let alone all the expenses associated with moving and that all for someone who has difficulty reading and clearly no business sense. Very frustrating as it is pretty much impossible to find out this type of thing as a tenant.

Edited by moesasji

On the plus side, by playing this game he's maximising his chances of getting a genuinely bad tenant who will damage his property, fill it with junk, stop paying rent and then vanish without a trace.

On the plus side, by playing this game he's maximising his chances of getting a genuinely bad tenant who will damage his property, fill it with junk, stop paying rent and then vanish without a trace.

If SS gives us the address, I'm sure that could be arranged.

I just hope his nob shrivels up and falls off.

Tell him if he examines his conscience closely he will find that he is in living hell. He has an inner hatred of people and the world that is eating away at his bitter black heart creating misery in his life. To remove such torment he needs to think carefully about the care of his self and change.

As if he gives a flying ****** about that. It's all about the money and the power.

And people wonder how the rank and file workers systematically sent millions to the gas chamber?

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

Tell him if he examines his conscience closely he will find that he is in living hell. He has an inner hatred of people and the world that is eating away at his bitter black heart creating misery in his life. To remove such torment he needs to think carefully about the care of his self and change.

I agree - who wants the hassle this guy is going through? He's created his own hell. Selling, not selling, getting new tenants, kicking them out, rinse and repeat - what a rigmarole. He must not feel he can make money with his own hands so is over-protective of his one meagre money-spinner (which he probably couldn't afford to buy today if he started from scratch). An unhappy man.

That really is evil. I hope a tenant trashes his house from top to bottom. Sickening that people in a position of power play god with people's basic rights; shelter and stability. Just irks me these people think they are successful, only successful by the standards of a parasite which is dead without its host.

I guess the Landlord is exercising their right to do this - there is a sense of elitism.

"We can't have the tenants getting too settled, we must remind them of their place in life"

Any adult with kids that signs for less than a year is an idiot.

Also a s21 would take 4 to 6 months to evict

Hmm. I wonder if he is paying HMRC all the tax due as a landlord? You could always report him just in case he isn't ;). That way they will have a record that he rents the home just in case he really does sell and then doesn't want to pay capital gains tax.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/TEH_IRF?dept-name=TEH&sub-dept-name=&location=39&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

Do you rent at the top or bottom end of the market? Very different landlord-tenant power dynamics. At the bottom end landlords will just tell prospective tenants who ask for 2-3 year fixed contracts that the deal is 6/12 months take it or leave it, and if said tenants have already given/been given notice on their current place then they will be desperate and eventually just cave in.

Markets don't fix everything, especially when supply is constrained and many landlords are on a power trip.

Do you rent at the top or bottom end of the market? Very different landlord-tenant power dynamics. At the bottom end landlords will just tell prospective tenants who ask for 2-3 year fixed contracts that the deal is 6/12 months take it or leave it, and if said tenants have already given/been given notice on their current place then they will be desperate and eventually just cave in.

Markets don't fix everything, especially when supply is constrained and many landlords are on a power trip.

I agree 100% and you're wasting your breathe on that poster. Lives in cuckoo land.

I had to fight for a 12 month contract - letting agent acted shocked when I asked for 12 months (was 6 months) and told me "6 months is good for both tenant and landlord - if you're both a good fit, then I'm sure the landlord can extend the contract after 6 months". I always feel I'm a whisker away from upping sticks and leaving this country.

Hmm. I wonder if he is paying HMRC all the tax due as a landlord? You could always report him just in case he isn't ;). That way they will have a record that he rents the home just in case he really does sell and then doesn't want to pay capital gains tax.

This is what I find amazing - take a helicopter over any provincial town in the London catchment area and you can "out" thousands of shed-landlords via a heat camera. HMRC would have a field day. Do they do it? Of course not. Because of orders higher up.

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/TEH_IRF?dept-name=TEH&sub-dept-name=&location=39&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

Its almost like they don't want you to report anyone!

Please note: There is a 15 minute time limit in which you must complete and submit the form. If you go over this limit, the information will not be sent and you will need to start again. Partially completed forms cannot be saved nor can attachments be sent.