House Price Crash Forum

People Who Watch Tv All The Time

pl1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I presume you've read 'Amusing Ourselves to Death'? If not, I recommend it highly. It has the same McLuhan-inspired 'the medium is the message' theme as Mander's work but I find Postman to be funnier than Mander, though Mander definitely has a funnier name.

Ironically, reading Marshall McLuhan addles your brain more than watching TV all day.

Don`t know about Netflix, is it worth the cost, and how much does it cost? You Tube are blocking a lot of stuff now, you can`t just type in "full movie" and get what you want anymore, but I have noticed that it is harder and harder to find anything of value to watch on TV recently, almost like someone is just seeing how far they can go down the road of utter mind sap before people switch off......

I have an addiction to television.

I record EVERYTHING of interest and never miss anything I like.

My SKY+ planner can be five months back but everything on there will be worked through methodically, whole series are watched chronologically, whether what I consider heavyweight ie Game Of Thrones, Banshee, Hannibal, Fortitude, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Sopranos, The Shield, Boardwalk Empire or considered cartoon lightweights such as Hawaii 5-0, CSI, Criminal Minds, Forever, Sleepy Hollow, Persons Of Interest, Gotham, Blue Bloods...

Then there are the music programmes on BBC4, Jools etc, the various BBC and C4 documentaries, the odd ITV or C5 documentaries, the sports I follow and I always record the news bulletins, and the Sky and BBC late night paper reviews. The fillers on satellite like Counting Cars, Pawn Stars...

I'm absorbed by the television I like.

Isn't your avatar Boyd Crowder from Justified? How is that not in your list?

Impressive Shield recall. :)

Couldn't list everything I like but certainly Justified.

Missed out comedies also...Count Arthur Strong, W1A, Moone Boy, The Detectorists, Mike & Molly, The Big Bang Theory.

Yet at work people never talk to me about tv because they think I never watch anything.

Which if relating to things they mostly watch is true.

It would be a really big list of things I don't ever watch.

I think we've left behind the days when watching a tv is low brow but going to the cinema, theatre or reading is high brow.

Some fantastic quality on television amongst the dross.

It's Walton Goggins, he's Shane in The Shield, which he's mentioned.

I knew who it was. I was just expressing surprise that someone who is evidently a Walton Goggins fan didn't have Justified in their list as they would presumably be aware of the show and it is outstandingly good, in large part because of his (Emmy nominated) performance.

After this I looked him up on IMDB, and he is also in Sons of Anarchy, which is excellent too. Although I don't remember him in it.

I can't stand any of the soaps and consequently they're never on in my home. My 13 year old son had to watch 5 episodes of Eastenders this week as part of his English homework. He found it unbearable. I can't understand why this would even be a good subject to cover in school.

Does my 'ead in. My MIL is like this when we visit. Just turn the frigging thing off.

Because the writers of EE are the best paid script writers in UK soapland.

No one appears to have mentioned the ham acting that is a mainstay of nearly all of these soaps and series. Or the shite visual effects. I tried to watch Game of Thrones but the CGI was abysmal.

Sometimes when I can't be bothered to get up and do some work in the evening, I'll sit through a programme called Grimm (on Watch) and literally force myself to watch it, for as long as I possibly can. I think my record is about 12 minutes.

The fact that people willingly watch things like this - even record them and actually look forward to the next episode, is something I'll never comprehend. The mind boggles.

• 1 month later...

No one appears to have mentioned the ham acting that is a mainstay of nearly all of these soaps and series. Or the shite visual effects. I tried to watch Game of Thrones but the CGI was abysmal.

Sometimes when I can't be bothered to get up and do some work in the evening, I'll sit through a programme called Grimm (on Watch) and literally force myself to watch it, for as long as I possibly can. I think my record is about 12 minutes.

The fact that people willingly watch things like this - even record them and actually look forward to the next episode, is something I'll never comprehend. The mind boggles.

It is the time they spend watching that gets me, at the cost of many other things, that are more interesting.

Almost as if they are fooled into thinking they are immortal ...

It's not dissimilar to a form of public access television, they had in the States, but there was never really anything like it over here.

I remember watching a tv series in late 80s /90s that had a Us / canadian comedienne with long dark hair, presenting a humorous look at US channel & public access television .

It seemed like another world then & was great entertainment, now we are there.

I was trying to remember the name of the show it was on C4 or BBC2 , Perhaps Babylon tv or similar. Any ideas? as a google / image search gives me nothing.

It had a regular appearance of a balding dwarf who lived in a trailer park.

I, initially, enjoyed watching Lost but it is one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of these American shows now. They started off with plans to make around four seasons (series?!), then when it took off and they realised it was popular they were planning to do something like eight or ten, then came the writers strike and the figures start to dip so they end up with six.

I got the whole boxed set of the Sopranos, when I was rich and unemployed. The first three series are really good, the later ones not so good, but still watchable. Not sure how much I can take of Game of Thrones.

I got the whole boxed set of the Sopranos, when I was rich and unemployed. The first three series are really good, the later ones not so good, but still watchable. Not sure how much I can take of Game of Thrones.

I confess that we've just gone through the whole of Breaking Bad in the last fortnight. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the acting was superb, IMO.

I confess that we've just gone through the whole of Breaking Bad in the last fortnight. I thoroughly enjoyed it and the acting was superb, IMO.

Another one on my shopping list.

Was at my parents last night and saw a few seconds of East Enders, Danny dyer et al, being all moody and angry and miserable. I've never watched east Enders but it looks like a bloody miserable thing to have to endure and it puzzles me why people tune in several times a week.

It's an amazing show, Pin - one of the few I highly reccomend!

Thanks for that! I might just get the set. I don't have a cable subscription or Sky, so I have never seen it.

My redundancy money should be here soon, and I will feel rich, and I may have considerable time to watch it.

That's how I got through the Sopranos last time round. ;)

Women like gossip, they always have. We now live in times where people don't know much about their neighbours. So TV is the portal of gossip. A newspaper tells of what drama is coming in the soap. Women talk with their friends about it. Then they watch it happen. They talk about it. Then they watch it again on the omnibus. They don't talk about it much after that because there is new drama coming.

All of history boils down to two things: Bread and Circus.

Women like gossip, they always have. We now live in times where people don't know much about their neighbours. So TV is the portal of gossip. A newspaper tells of what drama is coming in the soap. Women talk with their friends about it. Then they watch it happen. They talk about it. Then they watch it again on the omnibus. They don't talk about it much after that because there is new drama coming.

All of history boils down to two things: Bread and Circus.

Stop being wise. We don't do that here! ;)

Started watching Breaking Bad mainly because Vince Gilligan worked on The X-Files - this was back when it was on C5. I raved about it to the women I work with but absolutely none of them would give it a try.

Main reason being " it was about cancer ". This being despite the case they were all giving a running commentary about Lynette Scavo in Desperate Housewives or more recently The C Word with Sheridan Smith.

The show disappeared from C5 after the first season - and lo and behold now that everybody and his dog loves Breaking Bad I have people trying to tell me to give it a try on Spike or Netflix or wherever.

Same with The Americans - fantastic series, only God knows why ITV picked it up or even stranger - why they dropped it just as it gains recognition and a committed following. The good news is ITV Encore is showing Season 1 so latecomers can catch up. Its very good.

Same with The Americans - fantastic series, only God knows why ITV picked it up or even stranger - why they dropped it just as it gains recognition and a committed following. The good news is ITV Encore is showing Season 1 so latecomers can catch up. Its very good.

Quite enjoyed that, although I seemed to lose track around the middle of season 2. Good old school spy stuff that modern technology makes a mockery of. fake IDs, stick on 'taches, jumpers for goalposts.

My wife has a friend who looks like Keri Russell too...

Archived