House Price Crash Forum

Asian Hornets

Solitaire

HOLA441

found one of these flying round my son's bedroom this morning. Should have taken a photo but was more concerned with getting it out of the house. Had I known they were such a threat to our bees I would have captured it. I have reported it to the NNS Secretariat who want people to let them know of sightings.

There was no mistaking what it was, it was huge compared to our native species.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/asian_hornet

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I was at a bee health day recently where they said they are badly described in the press and smaller than the european hornet.

It might not have been one.

If you think it was then report it.

I thought they were bigger.

I've recently updated my UK + West European Inset field guide - bug nerd.

The UK is at risk of the Asian Hornet (Vespa velutina) -smaller and darker than our (very rare) Euro Hornet (Vespa crabro)

Euro Hornets are mucky yellow with brownish stripes.

The Wail is getting its knickers in a twist about the Asian GIANT Hornet (Vespa mandarinia), which apparently kills 40-60 Japanese a year - Wow!

HOLA445

found one of these flying round my son's bedroom this morning. Should have taken a photo but was more concerned with getting it out of the house. Had I known they were such a threat to our bees I would have captured it. I have reported it to the NNS Secretariat who want people to let them know of sightings.

There was no mistaking what it was, it was huge compared to our native species.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/asian_hornet

How big was it? The native species can be 2 inches long (Queens - who might be out and about at this time).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-24367050

Attacks by hornets in northern China have killed 41 people since July, state-run media report.

More than 1,600 people have also been injured by stings in Shaanxi province, according to China News Agency.

It says 206 people are still being treated in hospital, with 37 patients remaining in a critical condition.

HOLA4410

I trod on a hornet once. It hurt. I could see it flying around the bathroom while I was in the bath. When it went away, I got out of the bath and trod on it! I don't know how foreign it was. I saw some big ones in the desert in Pakistan, when I had an all paid for month's holiday for work there.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I was at a bee health day recently where they said they are badly described in the press and smaller than the european hornet.

It might not have been one.

If you think it was then report it.

How big was it? The native species can be 2 inches long (Queens - who might be out and about at this time).

I'm pretty certain it was one. I've had a look on google images and this one was less obviously stripey and darker than others I've seen with a more orange face than yellow.

edit: I did report it and have had an email back. Unsurprisingly without a photo the NNSS can't say either way and they feel it was probably the Eurasian one as there haven't been any confirmed sightings in the UK yet. So I guess I'll bow to their greater knowledge and accept it may not have been one. Just wish I'd taken a piccy :(

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Native hornets are fecking huge, and they make an unmistakable sound when flying. I wouldn't be able to differentiate the invaders vs. natives on size alone. If it seems "orangey/brown" it is probably native.

Native hornets do take bees but not in vast numbers. They'll take a bee on the wing, but rarely attack hives. Asian hornets will all pile onto a hive and wipe it out in short order if allowed to.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Hmmm had a look at the links I was sent by NNSS and although I'm now doubting what I saw, it was not one of these

http://www.bwars.com/sites/www.bwars.com/files/info_sheets/Vespa-crabro-info-sheet.pdf

most definitely as I've described above, coloured brown and burnt orange.

Where are you - roughly.

Native hornets are mainly in the very South-central. new forestt mainly.

Ive had a couple through my window and i found a dead one once - which i sent to my mum.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Where are you - roughly.

Native hornets are mainly in the very South-central. new forestt mainly.

Ive had a couple through my window and i found a dead one once - which i sent to my mum.

Guildford area.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived