House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Uttley

Christopher Lee Dies

Apparently, Bela Lugosi was interred in full Dracula costume. I don't expect Lee was as committed to that one role. RIP.

Will watch that tonight and remember a great actor :(

Do we need to hammer a stake through his heart?

Just what I was thinking. His very first Dracula film frightened the life out of me when I was about 14. I seriously considered smearing garlic all around my bedroom window in case any of his mates tried crawling in as a bat. Only we never had any garlic in the house then. I had to make do with a tiny crucifix round my neck and hope it wasn't too tiddly to fend off the Undead.

For the life of me I can't understand how vampires have become 'sexy'. I know of someone who makes quite a good living writing vampire 'romance' - mind you this is in the U.S.

James Last has gone aswell.

For the life of me I can't understand how vampires have become 'sexy'. I know of someone who makes quite a good living writing vampire 'romance' - mind you this is in the U.S.

It is sex isn't it - women as helpless virgins unable to resist or control what the man - the vampire - is doing. It is a metaphor for sexual rape which appeals to the deep hidden places in both genders but especially so in the female mind.

It is sex isn't it - women as helpless virgins unable to resist or control what the man - the vampire - is doing. It is a metaphor for sexual rape which appeals to the deep hidden places in both genders but especially so in the female mind.

You can get that sort of thing - I was helpless - he made me do it - in Mills and Boon and in old fashioned bodice rippers - the arrogant yet dashing Lord Filthyrich and the beautiful and virtuous but penniless etc etc - there are whole huge and very popular genres based around recisely that sort of psychology and have been for many years.

But I still don't see what can ever be sexy about a vampire!

You can get that sort of thing - I was helpless - he made me do it - in Mills and Boon and in old fashioned bodice rippers - the arrogant yet dashing Lord Filthyrich and the beautiful and virtuous but penniless etc etc - there are whole huge and very popular genres based around recisely that sort of psychology and have been for many years.

They dress like Goths.

wicker man, rubbish? I think you'll find you're in a minority there.

A bit of a classic, and an entirely accurate represtation of life outside the M25.

Always hated that film. It has a cult status it does not deserve IMPO.

There we go. I never liked "2001". I can never watch it out. Probably a good idea not everyone thinks the same.

Count Dracula was quite a charmer with the women. None of the films are especially faithful (!) to the original Bram Stoker story though I think one of them with Christopher Lee came close.

I recall all the original Hammer horror films so well. "Dracula Has Risen from the Grave" being possibly my favourite "Who has done this thing!".

RIP Christopher, a great actor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3120781/Christopher-Lee-died-week-fought-against-Nazis-witnessed-public-execution-guillotine.html

During the filming of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, the action called for the character of Saruman, the wizard famously played by Lee, to be stabbed in the back. The director, Peter Jackson, wanted Lee to scream out, but the legendary actor told him that when people are wounded in such a way, they are unable to scream.

‘Peter,’ said Lee, in his magnificently rich, authoritative voice. ‘Have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?’

Jackson admitted that he hadn’t.

‘Well, I have,’ Lee continued, ‘and I know what to do.’

The lungs are punctured, Lee explained, meaning that the victim cannot cry out and instead just emits a quiet groan.

With this gory revelation, Jackson and the crew went silent. They all knew that Lee had served in World War II, but here was a sign that he had witnessed true horror.

On June 17, Lee learned that a murderer called Eugen Weidmann was to be publicly guillotined in Versailles. Intrigued, he decided to attend what would be the last public execution in France.

Lee’s war years are somewhat shrouded in mystery. What we do know is that he served as an officer in the RAF’s Intelligence Branch in Africa, which involved selecting targets and planning missions. At one point, he was strafed by a German fighter and was wounded in the buttocks. However, it seems Lee may have got much closer to the action with his apparent involvement in secret units such as the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and the Long Range Desert Group (LRDG), which was the forerunner to the legendary SAS.

Frustratingly, Lee would forever remain tight-lipped about his time attached to these forces.

‘I’ve been entrusted with many secrets during World War II,’ he once said, ‘and if I spoke, people died. I was in the intelligence service, special ops, and I’m not going to tell much more.

It seems he had a very interesting life.

The original Dracula is pure sexual metaphor.

It took the genius of the late, great, Sir Pterry to make vampire glamour something rather unappealing and give the sex appeal to a lowly werewolf instead.