House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Peanuts The Secret To A Longer Life...yes And No

Well it's all over the news today. However, you have to eat 5-10g a day. Anymore is bad and any less is detrimental apparently and they have to be unsalted.

Well that's not good, I have about 100g a day...one of those two hundred gram bags for 48p goes in a couple of days (who said food was expensive)

Tried to google why exactly the peanuts are killing me.....apparently I should be morbidly obese by now and have an astronomically high blood pressure. Well at 10 stone and a blood pressure of 110/70 not exactly the results I should be experiencing.

Still better cut down...peanuts and a quarter of a bottle of red wine each night is just bloody heaven though.

Healthy eating would be a lot easier if supermarkets laid out food along tabloid newspaper categorisations. i.e Foods that gave you cancer in one aisle, foods that prevent cancer another.

Stuff that reportedly simultaneously gave you and prevented cancer; coffee, peanuts, etc, could go in both.

Be careful where you source your peanuts!

"We already tend to steer clear of peanuts for some obvious (to our readers) reasons: the fact that they’re legumes, rather than actual nuts; the potentially dangerous, “anti-nutrient” lectins found in them; and their prominent spot in the upper echelons of the “Most Common Food Allergens” list. But there’s another reason to steer clear of peanuts, something we’ve touched on briefly in the past but never expounded upon. Peanuts, along with a couple other crops we tend to avoid, like corn and cereals, are especially susceptible to a mold that produces a mycotoxin called aflatoxin.

Aflatoxin is a carcinogen that has been shown to cause liver cancer in rats (and, presumably, in humans). The amounts given to the rats in the study were highly concentrated, of course, with the express intent to study the effects of acute aflatoxicosis. You won’t be getting a couple grams of aflatoxin with every bag of peanuts or anything, so acute aflatoxicosis isn’t a big issue for people – at least in the US.

That’s not to suggest that correlations between aflatoxin ingestion and cancer rates in humans haven’t been found. In China, for example, a study of five groups of people from different villages found definite positive correlations between the amount of aflatoxin ingested and liver cancer mortality rates. Those villagers who ingested less aflatoxin were less likely to develop liver cancer; those who ingested more were more likely. Unsurprisingly, the three major sources of aflatoxins in this study were peanuts, peanut oil, and corn. Similar reports of aflatoxicosis have been made in India and Kenya."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/aflatoxins-or-another-reason-to-shun-peanuts/#ixzz3ckc3Vyn5

Every time I read about this or that helping us all to live longer, I wonder how many of those will be sprightly 93 year olds, still buzzing around on two sound legs with all marbles intact, and how many will be shuffling around with Zimmer frames, or pitiful, incontinent wrecks courtesy of dementia.

Every time I read about this or that helping us all to live longer, I wonder how many of those will be sprightly 93 year olds, still buzzing around on two sound legs with all marbles intact, and how many will be shuffling around with Zimmer frames, or pitiful, incontinent wrecks courtesy of dementia.

It's statistically proven that keeping a stash of sten guns in the house keeps you in good nick.

My response to those who say fags or booze or whatever 'take 10 years off your life' is to say yes, but they're the last ten years of your life, which are usually the worst anyway. A friend's mother died of lung cancer at 71 after smoking 60 cigs a day all her adult life. She was in poor health in her final year, but otherwise lived a 'normal' life with no physical or mental problems. Personally I'd rather have that than be like another lady I know who didn't smoke or drink, and who lived to 95, with the last 15 years of life spent immobile, in a care home, with Alzheimer's.

perfectly safe in a coating of smooth, just out of the fridge, milk chocolate....mmmmmm

My response to those who say fags or booze or whatever 'take 10 years off your life' is to say yes, but they're the last ten years of your life, which are usually the worst anyway. A friend's mother died of lung cancer at 71 after smoking 60 cigs a day all her adult life. She was in poor health in her final year, but otherwise lived a 'normal' life with no physical or mental problems. Personally I'd rather have that than be like another lady I know who didn't smoke or drink, and who lived to 95, with the last 15 years of life spent immobile, in a care home, with Alzheimer's.

My mother smoked, though never heavily until she developed dementia in her early 80s. More than once people told me to get her to give up, since it was so bad for her health. She had dementia, FFS - at her age and with a horrible disease like that, why would I seek to prolong her life? At any rate it made no difference - she is nearly 97 now and is one of the pitiful, incontinent wrecks I mentioned earlier. A few weeks ago I took in my iPad to show her photos of very new great-granddaughter - I knew she would probably never respond at all, but all the same I didn't think her only reaction would be to try to put the iPad in her mouth, like a baby at the stage of putting everything in its mouth.

It's statistically proven that keeping a stash of sten guns in the house keeps you in good nick.

It says a lot about human nature that more elderly people don't go nuts with a few weapons and bombs.