House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

What Does A 10 Bob Note Buy You In 2015?

I'm sure a tranny in a striped skirt is pretty cheap.

OTOH I'm old enough to remember being bloody thrilled by a 10' Postal Order from a distant aunt.

ED: 10/?

I recall the days when £10 would get you the bus into town, a chart LP and a single or two, dinner (such as it was) in McDonalds and still have some change.

These days 50p gets you a DVD in a charity shop. If it's relatively recent, then half a DVD, or alternatively if it's Max Bygraves, a couple of LPs.

Ah you are suffering from 'anchoring', the tendency to think that money keeps the same value as you get older...

Ten bob still gets a few things. A nice bar of Sainsbury's value chocolate is only about 35p or so; there are lots of other good 'value' products in supermarkets for less than 50p. Go to a car boot sale or a non-greedy national chain charity shop and you're laughing.

As per the other thread 200g of peanuts...would have cost considerably more in real terms in the 1960s. Would have been an 8oz packet back then, so a bit of shrinkflation.

Well actually it would have been a KP xmas gift tin and probably cost about 8 shillings. Everybody was thin because there was no such thing as mega bags.

6658262327_a09a53bf88_z.jpg

1970:

A pint of beer + a bag of fish & chips + bus fare home. Alternatively, stay home and smoke 50 cigarettes.

2015:

1 poxy 'Pink Lady' apple (only if reduced):

IMG_20150610_181607_001.jpg

OR

A piss in Victoria Station:

IMG_20150528_225834.jpg

I always use the expression having a laugh when the supermarket proffers a discounted apple for 50p.

Now five loaves of bread when they are getting desperate at the end of the day at 10p a pop...clearly no longer having a laugh.

About 5 minutes labour. Bargain!

Or conversely one can exchange a few mins labour for 10 bob today. Compared to how much labour in 1970? A couple of hours? more?

About 5 minutes labour. Bargain!

Or conversely one can exchange a few mins labour for 10 bob today. Compared to how much labour in 1970? A couple of hours? more?

Could've been more than a day's work at low pay.

I have a crispy ten shilling note in an old wallet somewhere. I'm not sure where I got it. I was not old enough to go into a bank.

I have a crispy ten shilling note in an old wallet somewhere. I'm not sure where I got it. I was not old enough to go into a bank.

There was one in my Mother in laws purse, God knows how forty five years after it had been withdrawn, she is now in a home with dementia.

Got it in on the wall unit with an old pyramid phone 1935. Like old things.

As it happens, I did attend a boot sale last Sunday and found a few rubies in the dust.

Best scores were:

- a mini screwdriver + a big spool of solder @ 50p the pair

- a high quality french paring knife @ 10p

- 200 old-fashioned safety razor blades @ 50p

and for my lad one of these (but no ammo) @ £1:

Untitled-2.png

I don't recall regular boot sales even existing in 1970

As it happens, I did attend a boot sale last Sunday and found a few rubies in the dust.

Best scores were:

- a mini screwdriver + a big spool of solder @ 50p

- a high quality paring knife @ 10p

- 200 old-fashioned safety razor blades @ 50p

and for my lad one of these (but no ammo) @ £1:

Untitled-2.png

One advantage of living in a country with too much stuff, its second hand value becomes close to zero.

There was only a tiny second hand market in 1970, stuff was kept until it fell to bits.

Could've been more than a day's work at low pay.

I dare say you're right. Imagine that. Wiki tells me that the avg wkly wage in 1970 was just £32, so well under £1 an hour. That's the average. Shocking.

I dare say you're right. Imagine that. Wiki tells me that the avg wkly wage in 1970 was just £32, so well under £1 an hour. That's the average. Shocking.

Not really, my folks bought their 3 bedroom 2 reception terraced house in 1969 for £5500 or so, so that £32 a week would translate to circa £1500 a year. 3.5 time annual salary, so a bit of deposit, a single working man like my dad and my mum doing a bit of shop work for extra money could buy a family home and have me.

That same house, that I'm now typing this from is now worth costs circa £850,000

That is what is truly shocking

Mental

sorry for going all House prices and the Economy/derail

Living in Banstead Surrey, it was a big treat for me and a couple of mates of about 12 years old to get a Red Bus Rover in the Summer holidays for the day and travel all over London. Incredible on a number of levels.

What an adventure! I did that! I lived in Coulsdon. My uncle lived in Banstead. :huh:

The other day in my local Sue Ryder shop I picked up a 1970s paperback called 'Tips and Wrinkles' for 50p or 10/- in the old money.

It's one of those books full of Viz top-tips (but sensible ones). I estimate the advice therein has already saved me more than the amount I paid for the book.

It goes quite a long way too at the bread counter at the end of the day, have been using a desserted rural supermarket just lately so no crowds. Can usually get large bloomers. etc for four bob each for the freezer, so two and a half large luxury loaves. Still slighly more than the three bob loaf of 1973 and probably two bob when the ten shilling note was phased out.

ninebob.jpg

When I was at Public Approved School my Aunt Agatha would send me 9 Bob notes, Enough for a slap-up meal or a cheap whore!

I had to check up on that...... as I thought nothing so bent as a 9 bob note, but then I don't really rememeber the ten shilling note either. The most I got was a threpenny bit for the school tuck shop.

Milk comes to mind, 49p a litre. When I emailed Tesco to complain they had put the price up to 65p I got a phone call and lecture on British farmers. Stuff that, Lidl for me now.