• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Why isn't the sub-title "Annual house price growth could drop to 4.6% over the next five years..." as that would get you to exactly the same number?

That is the kind of middle-of-the-road figure that they all seem to give out and is almost always well off, given the boom-bust nature of the market.

HOLA447

The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (Rics) warns of an "acute shortage of supply" as Britain's ageing population of home owners moves less frequently and focuses instead on helping their children on to the housing ladder.

Each surveyor had just 52 for-sale properties on the books in May, the organisation found, the lowest monthly figure registered in nearly four decades.

Surveyors, EAs, white goods sellers, DIY shops, et al - best get used to the situation. Nobody's buying because the country's running out of fools.

And specifically to surveyors and EAs - your livelihoods are at risk if you do not subscribe to the idea of affordable housing.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Surveyors, EAs, white goods sellers, DIY shops, et al - best get used to the situation. Nobody's buying because the country's running out of fools.

And specifically to surveyors and EAs - your livelihoods are at risk if you do not subscribe to the idea of affordable housing.

Could easily change that to, no-one is selling because who wants to sell a guaranteed cash machine! :P

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I strip to my underwear and do the Frank Skinner dance, but it hasn't caused HPC, yet. Maybe I need to do it infront of the most expensive house around here.

Just like Mr.Hoodie (Mead), Telegraph reporting prices will still rise in a sickly market of low inventory on market (let's not have Excuse-Fest when prices fall, with boomers sat on £Trillions in equity).

And... Broadbent has suggested mortgage growth no.1 concern (not values/prices at all), and dismissed debt as being an issue (so many own outright / equity rich). So sickly market continuing, or nearing hpc? Carney's housing status is unknown... perhaps relocated to new rental before HPC (possibly bought according to others)... his wife is related to serious UK wealth as I remember it... some of that name selling up their Scottish estates... yep her sister married to this Baron... 'fabulously wealthy family/dynasty'.

June 11, 2014

Deputy BoE Governor, Broadbent.

"Andy [Haldane] is the master of the colourful phrase but on this I disagree with him," said Broadbent, who instead identified risks in the UK's housing market as the greatest threat to the country's economic outlook. He went on to say that the Bank will not directly intervene on house prices, but is instead only interested in "the rate of growth of mortgages, which is today very low".

http://www.cityam.co...ace-mp-grilling

2 October 2014

Ben Broadbent agrees that interest rate rises will cause problems for "a certain number of borrowers" but is clearly of the view that the concern has been overdone.

He points out that the total amount of debt in the economy is actually lower than it was five years ago.

"I would lean against the view I think that any rise in interest rates would cause calamity for a very large number of households. I think that's an exaggeration of where we are at the moment," he told me.

Broadbent doesn't think higher interest rates will lead to a significant rise in the number of repossessions.

Edited by Venger

HOLA4413

I know the idea that there's a massive BTL boom going on is denied a lot on HPC.... instead preferring to think of BTLers selling up... if they are then many times a house property sells to another BTLer. Seen that many times over, year after year.

11 June 2015

Buy-to-let surge leads to smallest number of homes on sale since 1978: Estate agents put up average of just 52 properties a branch in May

The number of homes for sale has plunged to its lowest level since records began in 1978 – as a buy-to-let boom takes an increasing amount of property off the market.

UK estate agents put up for sale just 52 properties per branch in May, according to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

This is the lowest figure since its survey began 37 years ago, and marks a significant drop from 60 properties just one year ago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119201/Buy-let-surge-leads-smallest-number-homes-sale-1978.html

HOLA4414

If there is also an increase in the proportion of cash transactions where will the mortgage demand come from as there is not much to buy? Presumably mortgage rates will continue to fall which will put a strain on the smaller building socities. And for the money supply - deflation ?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The national sales and stocks charts from the RICS survey:

RICS_0515a.gif

I was having a conversation about how few houses were transacting i my home town (North).

The figures were bad 2 years ago; they are even worse now.

A stupid woman EA barged here way in, saying 'Houses are selling!' Ive sold loads this month, people I work with have sold loads.

. . . Some have completed.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

So, transactions / volumes are down, this is due to a lack of supply (new build and existing), and this will translate into higher prices because demand is still there.

I suppose that is logically defensible, survey does show new enquiries are up and instructions are down.

Ppl aren't selling, which is why there is so much shit on the market.

Good that market is recognised as broken but is this a hpc positive development? It would be if reversed (I.e. vendors up and enquiries down) surely?

Edited by growlers

HOLA4422

So, transactions / volumes are down, this is due to a lack of supply (new build and existing), and this will translate into higher prices because demand is still there.

I suppose that is logically defensible, survey does show new enquiries are up and instructions are down.

Ppl aren't selling, which is why there is so much shit on the market.

Good that market is recognised as broken but is this a hpc positive development? It would be if reversed (I.e. vendors up and enquiries down) surely?

Demand isn't there, in so far as people can't get mortgages no matter how much they want to overpay for a house

HOLA4423

I'm guessing people can't move. Prices still slightly shy of the August 2007 peak pretty much means many purchasers haven't got the equity to. Add in all property sold since about 2003 and there will be little gain outside London, by then Brown had done his worst and the destruction of the economy was inevitable. So 50% of all housing stock with insufficient equity gains to move or at least not the psychological incentive.

I guess folk don't like selling out at a loss either or merely break even after a decade of pouring money into a money pit with new kitchens. bathrooms, windows.

Jeeze houses have been the Mother of all dead money this last decade.

HOLA4424

The whole point of this article (sponsored by RICS) is to issue the tired-out "better by now before prices rise XX%" line. Haha. Yeah, right - houses aren't selling. I know, let's put the prices up. Why don't journos just look at RightMove and see all the reductions?

I must admit for a front page piece it does read like the journo was getting a tuggie from the RICS bloke.

HOLA4425