House Price Crash Forum
R K

Generation Landlord - The Fastest Growing Type Of Self Employment Job In The Uk

RBS Economics @RBS_Economics 1h1 hour ago

With Generation Rent comes Generation Landlord. It is the fastest growing type of self employment job in the UK.

CHH70skWMAASpfh.png
Nudging self-employed cleaners into 2nd place in Camerons pumped up, striving, entrepreneurial Britain.

A nation of landlords and scrubwomen. Must be what the Tories mean when they claim to have 'rebalanced' the economy.

.....when earned income is long hours and hard work, not surprising that unearned income suddenly becomes popular and fashionable.......sit on the beach and let others hard work support lifestyle.......what is there not to like......property ownership the road to freedom and riches. ;)

I guess the cleaners and joiners are employed by the landlord.

Language teachers is for all the immigrants. :rolleyes:

Nice!

Who needs productivity when the productive are not valued as much as the valued non productive, who feed because they are fed off the working but under valued. ;)

Who needs productivity when the productive are not valued as much as the valued non productive, who feed because they are fed off the working but under valued. ;)

Im sure when it all goes tits these people could always rely on there degree in ...media studies or womans literature :)

And when they realise there's no money in being a landlord what then? Cleaners I understand, no need to be snobbish they are productive and work hard.

Landlords can go ****** themselves :D

And dont forget you can even then claim tax credits as well,

The productivity puzzle the BOE call it.

Will have Newsnight stroking their chins for a week that one.

First time buyers miss out as buy to let booms says Connells

The post-election period has triggered a flurry of interest in buy to let but a sharp decline in business from first time buyers according to Connells’ Survey & Valuation division.

It says there were 33 per cent more buy-to-let valuations conducted in May than at the same time last year. Conversely, valuations for first time buyers declined by four per cent over the same period.

“The picture painted here is a consistent one. Fewer people looking to buy their first home means more tenants sticking to the rental sector. As such, new landlords enter the market and those already in the sector grow their business to capitalise on the increased demand. Yet what remains unclear is how long this contrast in fortunes will continue” according to John Bagshaw, Corporate Services Director of Connells Survey & Valuation.

Estate Agent Today

And dont forget you can even then claim tax credits as well,

The productivity puzzle the BOE call it.

Is that really true? Can you claim you are working 16 hours a week managing your own properties and use that to get tax credits?

I guess if I was made redundant and had a wad of cash then that would be the most logical route. Let's say your job was not needed anymore - moving across sectors is one of the hardest undertakings these days. You have to have a degree soon to just clean toilets - well, while you are paying £10,000 a year to retrain for the next 3 years, you need to have some income coming in that doesn't require a degree - LANDORDISM,

Edited by 200p

Is that really true? Can you claim you are working 16 hours a week managing your own properties and use that to get tax credits?

Quite, yes

That must massage the yield figures a fair bit

A small time land lord has a property portfolio with £300k. Has 3 children. £13k tax credits adds another effective 4% to your yield.

Only spanner in the works is that any other low wage job would also give this benefit.

Additionally surely the value of the houses themselves would means test away the tax credit entitlement, another form of land lord tax dodging?

A small time land lord has a property portfolio with £300k. Has 3 children. £13k tax credits adds another effective 4% to your yield.

Only spanner in the works is that any other low wage job would also give this benefit.

Additionally surely the value of the houses themselves would means test away the tax credit entitlement, another form of land lord tax dodging?

Means testing on tax credits is income based not asset based...

Means testing on tax credits is income based not asset based...

It considers imputed income off assets afaik

But I'm certain the rules aren't simple

It considers imputed income off assets afaik

But I'm certain the rules aren't simple

If you intend becoming a career scrounger, you're going to have to do more homework.

If you intend becoming a career scrounger, you're going to have to do more homework.

I don't look at it like that anymore. Dave wanted a deal with the devil to burn the claimant count. Ala Thatcher with the sicknotes.

If you choose to serve your own ends, by massaging everything in sight, and in so doing, give people an opportunity to take the piss, theyre going to take it aren't they?

If i was to hear any middle class parent (the only voters that all parties care about) referring to any childless WTC beneficiary as a scrounger, i'd want to deck them.

Obvs the BTL bit is just another hoof in the balls to anyone with a shred of self determination.

Lie back, accept their largesse, there's no point getting angry about this anymore.

Edited by shindigger

It's imputed at 3%

I would think the way around this would be to maintain high leverage

It's imputed at 3%

I would think the way around this would be to maintain high leverage

Is there any other way?

Edot: actually I've checked again and I'm not getting tax credit reductions and the assumed income from capital is nearer 20% but doesn't affect tax credits.

Only benefits.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

Is there any other way?

Edot: actually I've checked again and I'm not getting tax credit reductions and the assumed income from capital is nearer 20% but doesn't affect tax credits.

Only benefits.

No

If you get a net income off an asset or capital then it counts against tax credits

This is simply a fact

I shouldn't have said imputed, there's no imputed in it I believe, it's just plain old income. The first £300 of which is disregarded.

How am asset appreciating in value is treated is another question.