House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

How A Reclusive Pensioner's Secret Past As A Cold War Agent Was Only Discovered When Police Found Bullets, Documents And A Submachine Gun In Her Home

The spy from suburbia: How a reclusive pensioner's secret past as a Cold War agent was only discovered when police found bullets, documents and a submachine gun in her home after her death
article-3117016-297B304900000578-827_964

She was a shy and retiring pensioner, who lived a reclusive life on a quiet street in Twickenham. But, behind the door of number 26, on the suburban street of Grimwood Drive, Eileen Burgoyne (left and right) was harbouring a secret past which was the stuff of legend among her neighbours. Despite little being known about the woman during the two decades she lived in the area, Ms Burgoyne's nearby residents were convinced that the elderly lady had a glamorous and intriguing past as a spy following World War II. Just months after her death at the age of 99, details emerged about the pensioner which revealed the extent of the woman's incredible past. Builders were working on Ms Burgoyne's former £725,000 home (centre) when they discovered a cache of weapons, including Sten submachine gun (inset) in full working order. Her cousin was then sent items related to Ms Burgoyne, including correspondence from the War Office, which have allowed her to piece together the woman's life and confirm her involvement in the intelligence services immediately after World War II.

From the Wail and even more importantly we find out how much the house was worth.

The Sten Gun was marketed for 2 pounds and 7 shillings in 1942.

Probably worth a lot more if you were confronted by a humourless Nazi though.

What's the chance of that? The Third Reich had the best comedians in the World.

Well, in terms of humour and although there are exceptions I really think that the people of these Islands have been touched by genius.

We did after all make the Morris Marina

The Sten Gun was marketed for 2 pounds and 7 shillings in 1942.

Probably worth a lot more if you were confronted by a humourless Nazi though.

Sadly the Sten had a habit of jamming just when you needed it to work as those involved in the Heydrich assassination found out

They also had the unfortunate habit of shooting off the entire magazine if dropped or just put down the wrong way. Apparently, there are stories of British troops using this fault to their advantage when clearing houses by simply throwing loaded and cocked Stens into the occupied room and waiting for them go off.

Yes, I heard about the Heydrich assassination attempt, It was the horse hair seats wot did for him (caused by grenades?)

And just think, at 2 pounds 7 shillings we could have bought our own.

What is interesting is that a spy in WW2, probably on a civil service low salary, could afford a house in Twickenham.

The man who brought my mother up (she was farmed out!) was a member of one those groups that were supposed to go underground if the Nazis had invaded . He was in the Boar and ww1 too....a good bloke to have around.

He was armed to the teeth.

Gave me a magnet that was meant to stick explosives on trucks and trains (I broke it!)

Obviously there is no written or spoken information on who these men and women were, where they were and what kind of equipment they had!

The man who brought my mother up (she was farmed out!) was a member of one those groups that were supposed to go underground if the Nazis had invaded . He was in the Boar and ww1 too....a good bloke to have around.

He was armed to the teeth.

Gave me a magnet that was meant to stick explosives on trucks and trains (I broke it!)

Obviously there is no written or spoken information on who these men and women were, where they were and what kind of equipment they had!

Boer war service? By 1940 I would picture a Private Godfrey / Corporal Jones type character :D

Yes he lied to get in at 15. He was a tall and lean chap of 55 in 1940.....as he was at 92 when he died.

He said that they had ship loads of horses come in from Argentina. Apparently they would ride them into the ground in 2 weeks ...then eat.

Then another lot would come.

You`re our man in Austrailia btw!

Yes he lied to get in at 15. He was a tall and lean chap of 55 in 1940.....as he was at 92 when he died.

He said that they had ship loads of horses come in from Argentina. Apparently they would ride them into the ground in 2 weeks ...then eat.

Then another lot would come.

You`re our man in Austrailia btw!

Don't activate him. :wacko: