House Price Crash Forum

Les Paul Was Born 100 Years Ago Today

R K

HOLA441

In honour of which I thought (probably a tad recklessly) I would share a piccie of my humble LP

Anyone else care to share a pic of their favourite (musical) instrument?

I wonder if todays young people will still have their favourite iphones (or whatever) in 40 years time?

Red Knight @redknighttrader 2h2 hours ago

Les Paul was born 100yrs ago today. My '79 leftie Les Paul cherry sunburst custom :)

CHERHnSWcAAlobo.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

In honour of which I thought (probably a tad recklessly) I would share a piccie of my humble LP

Anyone else care to share a pic of their favourite (musical) instrument?

I wonder if todays young people will still have their favourite iphones (or whatever) in 40 years time?

Red Knight @redknighttrader 2h2 hours ago

Les Paul was born 100yrs ago today. My '79 leftie Les Paul cherry sunburst custom :)

Mr RK, I will come round to your house, and borrow it for a bit. I only have a "copy" LesPaul.

I can't work out how to post pictures, otherwise I could show you a left handed guitar.

HOLA443

Mr RK, I will come round to your house, and borrow it for a bit. I only have a "copy" LesPaul.

I can't work out how to post pictures, otherwise I could show you a left handed guitar.

Are you a leftie too Mr Pin? Always frustrating cause you cant play other peoples righthanded guitars (Unless youre jimmy hendrix). I had to factory order that one (US factory). It plays far better than I can.

(to post a piccie you need to upload to a picture server like tinypics.com or similar, or twitter, then simply post a link on here)

HOLA444

Are you a leftie too Mr Pin? Always frustrating cause you cant play other peoples righthanded guitars (Unless youre jimmy hendrix). I had to factory order that one (US factory). It plays far better than I can.

(to post a piccie you need to upload to a picture server like tinypics.com or similar, or twitter, then simply post a link on here)

I've not bought an expensive guitar new. Nobody can borrow my guitars, but it looks like you can. :blink:. Aye when it comes to Ebay, and I'm looking at a good leftie, I'm probably the only bidder. I'll bet that one cost you a few bob. Did you get it new?

HOLA445
HOLA446

It looks right handed to me but what would I know - never play the things.

Nor does anyone else. You have to hide them in their cases for years, and just talk about playing them. After all you don't want to get a fingerprint on it.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Ah just googled Marty Mcfly in back to the future - the wee dials will be at the bottom and not the top ?

That would be the convenient thing!

HOLA4410

I've not bought an expensive guitar new. Nobody can borrow my guitars, but it looks like you can. :blink:. Aye when it comes to Ebay, and I'm looking at a good leftie, I'm probably the only bidder. I'll bet that one cost you a few bob. Did you get it new?

I certainly can B) I couldn't find a leftie that I liked at the time, so I bought it new in '79. I have the original receipt here - £573 (in sterling, don't know what the $$ price would have been at the time). From memory it was my first few pay checks and took about 3 months from order to delivery. I suspect I had been watching Jimmy Page or possibly Scott Goram or Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) at the time, or possibly Gary Moore. That was the tone I wanted, at the time played through WEM valve amps running in parallel.

HOLA4411

I couldn't find a leftie that I liked at the time, so I bought it new in '79. I have the original receipt here - £573 (in sterling, don't know what the $$ price would have been at the time). From memory it was my first few pay checks and took about 3 months from order to delivery. I suspect I had been watching Jimmy Page or possibly Scott Goram or Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) at the time, or possibly Gary Moore. That was the tone I wanted, at the time played through WEM valve amps running in parallel.

Wow that was some money then. I want one now. :blink:

Actually I did buy a new Telecaster in 2003.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Here are some of mine. Sadly, not all still with me. The middle one is a Chibson.

Well I have to say they all look "well played", and that is what they are for. :blink:

What are those brown stains above the radiator?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've got a few Strats, too, but that's a bit off topic.

A friend of mine has a "special" Strat that never comes out of the box! He sticks to his £20 Squiers! And some of these are very good!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My own homemade Thinline Telecaster.

Not necessarily my favourite. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio too. And some other stuff.

We have a luthier amongst us! :)

I have an ordinary Telecaster bought from a shop. It has no holes in it. I spend too much time trying to rattle lost plectrums out of hollow guitars.

HOLA4419

Here are two of my Strats. The one on the left is a modified Japanese '62 reissue. The one on the right is a Partsocaster I assembled from bits in the style of Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. It's not a Fender.

DSC_4725.jpg

HOLA4420

My own homemade Thinline Telecaster.

Not necessarily my favourite. I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio too. And some other stuff.

Impressive nonetheless! What woods did you use?

HOLA4421

Here are two of my Strats. The one on the left is a modified Japanese '62 reissue. The one on the right is a Partsocaster I assembled from bits in the style of Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. It's not a Fender.

DSC_4725.jpg

Lovely! Your guitars look rather wonderful set against that original parquet floor too.

Did you drill out/replace the bridge/neck pickups with twin coils yourself?

I have a crush on this blue Ibanez, looks even more gorgeous (to me) in the flesh, but unfortunately they dont do a leftie model in that colour.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=4&data_id=161&color=CL01

HOLA4422

All impressive!

I will try and post a pic of my Fender Tele (natural/maple) which I got second hand years ago. Also have an Ibanez RG??? in blue. Before that I had a Gibson SG.

My first electric was an Epiphone Les Paul, that was pretty terrible, I think they are better quality these days.

Somewhere I have a guitar book that had the foreword written by Les Paul, I think he designed the first solid body electric(?) and was a very accomplished guitarist.

HOLA4423

I fitted all the pickups myself. Easy, with the right tools, but I just had a chisel.

Les Paul was a very clever guy and invented a lot of stuff, such as four track recording. But not the solid body electric.

Technically, all three guitars in my first picture would have been Les Pauls but he asked to have his name removed from the SG.

HOLA4424

Wow that was some money then. I want one now. :blink:

Actually I did buy a new Telecaster in 2003.

Indeed some money. I did my PPL in 79 and I reckon that it cost just under a k, all in. Mind you, the Cessna 150 was £16.80 an hour and I only had to pay two landing fees.

HOLA4425

Archived