House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bloobird

Reporting House Issues Knowing A S21 Is On Its Way

Hi all, hope you can help.

We are shortly due an S21 at the rented property we've stayed at for nearly 10 years. The LL is being vindictive and I've posted the history on another thread.

We live in a rural location and have a Kerosene oil tank in the garden.

The plastic tank has split and oil has started leaking onto the earth. The LL was notified of the splitting months ago and merely used lashings to tighten the end of the tank! At the time I asked if it would be better to replace the tank as according to the Environmental agency even a small spillage can cost £10,000 to clean up.

Fast forward to today,I feel I should notifiy the Environmental agency as this kerosene may be entering the local water table. Then I feel that I need to notify the letting agency that the tank needs replacing and that the Environmental agency have already been notified. From there we will obviously have to arrange a convenient time for the LL to arrange someone (other than himself to attend the property)

Will this be seen as vindictive at court? The LL is aware, even his lashings are attached to the tank still.

Thanks

I can't edit my post. Just wanted to change the last line to say that the LL was aware that the tank was splitting. He is unaware that there is now a leak.

Also forgot to add, that when I mentioned that according to the EA that even a small leakage could result in £10,000 clean up costs, he said "shhhushh we wouldn't tell anyone would we?"

Sounds like a typical scumlord from your other posts, so i'd say report away

Bottom line is, he has a legal obligation to fix some things and has failed, you owe him nothing so dump him hopefully right in the sh!t

Given that the LL sounds like a total douche as our American cousins would put it, I'd say that you have a moral obligation to shop him. The Environment Agency have been notified, that's the main thing. The only benefit of notifying it to the EAs is as a delaying tactic for the S21. However, I agree with some of the respondents to your last post that you're better off moving out ASAP anyway.

I can't edit my post. Just wanted to change the last line to say that the LL was aware that the tank was splitting. He is unaware that there is now a leak.

My take on this is that you are obliged to let your LL know that you have now observed the tank leaking. The EA or issue of S21 has nothing to do with this as that would be behavior expected of a tenant, ie you have a responsibility to notify the LL of problems when you notice them before these problems get out of hand.

Obviously if he doesn't do anything to fix it then things become different.

I had a landlord that told the agent we could have new carpets or a new tank but not both. The bottom was about to fall out of the tank so I opted for the carpets. I then notified the agent that the tank was showing signs of leaking and the delivery driver would not fill it up. The house stands on the main aquafer for Cambridge so I pointed out to the agent that as I had notified him, if he did nothing about it the EA would hold him liable for any spillage. Its not just the £10k fine, its the unlimited clean up costs of digging out the contaminated soil before it reaches the chalk aquefer. Fortunately the agent realised the game was up, replaced the tank and billed the (absentee) landlord. In your case I'd shop the landlord to the EA along with some choice photos of the tank and its bindings which demonstrate deliberate dereliction of his duty of care. Use your iPhone as it will record date, time and GPS location in the EXIF information in the photo.