House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

What Keeps Homeless Winos Going?

I suspect if you regret there being no way back, then there is a way back, ie if you were given the one bed council flat, in a nasty area, or a room in a hmo, by the council in order to get you off the street, your fear of being marginalised would lead to you climbing out of your situation.

I've experienced two people in my life who honestly didn't give a toss and therefore had no motivation not to just fall and fall, and this opened my eyes

How people become so basically demotivated is not something I fully understand. Mental illness, I would think, is a common major factor.

The lifestyle filters the weak ones out.

I would guess Ive seen going on for 30 street drinkers in my local town.

Some moved on. A lot died.

There's a couple left.

They seriously need to lift them off the street and have a look at their livers.

The surviving ones look pretty good at this time of year - deep tan, no stress.

A different question is - Why does medicine spend all its time on sick people? Why not look at people who are rarely/never sick.

How people become so basically demotivated is not something I fully understand. Mental illness, I would think, is a common major factor.

divorce (apparently)

It's an addiction so presumably they keep going because they seek more alcohol. Their "goal" in life is the alcohol buzz. Alcohol releases dopamine so the addictive personality seeks a dopamine rush http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/259185.php. The dopamine high can be a reason for going on in some people I presume. Alcohol also downregulates gaba b receptors quickly which means that an alcoholic would need more each day to not feel like crap, hence them not wanting to go through cold turkey http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal_syndrome#Pathophysiology.

Guest eight

Indomitable spirits

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a marketing meeting of the company that makes "white lightning". I wonder if they have any illusions about their target customer?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a marketing meeting of the company that makes "white lightning". I wonder if they have any illusions about their target customer?

I doubt it. In my innocent youth I bought a 4 pack of Tenants Super to take to a small al fresco social gathering, not realising that it was super strength tramp juice. I drank the lot (because nobody else would drink any) and have no memory of the rest of that night whatsoever. I woke up (thankfully) in my bed covered in sick, with cuts on my hands, very bruised legs and a lifelong respect for hardened street drinkers. These manufacturers know full well that they only sell to foolish kids and those whose tastebuds have long since stopped working.

Living in a permanent alcohol haze would make most things fairly easy to manage, I should think - but I would imagine they don't last very long. I don't think there can be that many 'old' street drinkers, they just look old but are probably not much more than middle aged.

I remember chatting to a tramp who used to come into a shop where I worked. I was only 18 at the time and a bit scared of chucking him out, so used to humour him until he left. He told me he'd started drinking after his wife and two children were killed in a car crash. Might have been a load of ******; but might have been true, if it were true I can see how that might lead to a crack-up.

Guest eight

Nope. Its a tan.

I had to pull one out of the river once.

Had to? Definitely not a fireman then.

A decent bobby will usually find an excuse to lock them up on really cold nights.

That's got a real Dixon of Dock Green ring to it....

One in ten were in the armed forces.

Many have worked in seasonal or cyclical manual industries such as the building trade who fall on tough times when recessions hit.

Often they also have spent time in prison so find it impossible to get work.

These are also bacjkrounds where heavy drinking is often accepted as normal so the slide into alcohol dependency is a short one,

The vast majority (87%) are men.

A surprisingly large number are now from Central and Eastern Europe (28% in London) who have found that the UK is a lot tougher place than many foreigners imagine partucularly in industries like agriculture and construction. In fact the Eastern European rough sleeper now often occupies the role once filled by Irish navvies tossed on the scrapheap.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/pages/rough-sleeping.html

I grew up in the Waterloo/ Blackfriars area of London which, going back to Victorian times was a nexus of doss houses and rough sleepers. As I recall from the 70s, and as already mentioned, a lot of the older gentlemen were ex-servicemen or Irish/ Scottish labourers. Tough as nails. On the subject of being pulled from rivers, there's an area underneath the North end of Waterloo Bridge, notorious in my day for that sort of thing, where they used to hang around, drink and occasionally fall or jump into the Thames. I don't recall any of the local residents or shopkeepers having any serious trouble with any of them but the area around Waterloo Station did more or less permanently smell of p1ss.

A couple of grim Wikipedia entries on the history of doss houses in Blackfriars/ Waterloo for anyone interested in the history of such things...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

The Salvation Army operated other homeless shelters in the area. These shelters charged the clients different amounts depending on the amenities offered. At the low end was a penny sit-up, where a homeless client could get food and shelter from the cold in exchange for a penny. He was allowed to sit on a bench all night, but was not allowed to sleep. For an additional penny, there was the "two penny hangover". It was like a penny sit-up except that a rope was placed in front of the bench. The client was allowed to sleep when he leaned on (or hung over) the rope during the night. He was not allowed to lie down flat on his back and sleep. The rope was cut at daybreak in order to encourage the clients to wake up early and leave. For four pennies, a homeless client could stay at a coffin house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_sit-up

I grew up in the Waterloo/ Blackfriars area of London which, going back to Victorian times was a nexus of doss houses and rough sleepers. As I recall from the 70s, and as already mentioned, a lot of the older gentlemen were ex-servicemen or Irish/ Scottish labourers. Tough as nails. On the subject of being pulled from rivers, there's an area underneath the North end of Waterloo Bridge, notorious in my day for that sort of thing, where they used to hang around, drink and occasionally fall or jump into the Thames. I don't recall any of the local residents or shopkeepers having any serious trouble with any of them but the area around Waterloo Station did more or less permanently smell of p1ss.

A couple of grim Wikipedia entries on the history of doss houses in Blackfriars/ Waterloo for anyone interested in the history of such things...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_penny_coffin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_sit-up

To put it into perspective, a soldier would earn a penny a day after stoppages.

The vast majority (87%) are men.

[/url]

Where are the equality commission when you need them ? Let's get them onto the job and get some more burds on the streets to even up the numbers.

Everything has to be 50-50 remember !!

They probably wonder what keeps the 9-5 people going, commuting like pigs on their way to the slaughter to rent a shitbox

from a boomer.

To put it into perspective, a soldier would earn a penny a day after stoppages.

Rentiers - destroying 'society' forever.