House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steppenpig

Tennis

Why were Warwinka and Safarova still in their pyjamas?

edit for more serious content: Excellent final from Warwinka. Serena Williams in slow motion is a thing of beauty. I know the men can hit it much faster, but they just always look a bit like they're just throwing the raquet at the ball. Williams looks like a panther.

Tennis is a great sport. A 'fight to the death.' Always look forward to Wimbledon. When footballers moan about being tired, I always think of tennis players and what they go through.

Warwinka did very well, didn't he?

I thought he was renowned for being able to drag his knuckles along the ground whilst walking.

pete-sampras8_1_.jpg

Ah the golden era of Sampras vs Ivanisevic. Ivanisevic to serve....

Double fault 0-15

Double fault 0-30

Ace 15-30

Ace 30-30

Sampras manages to return second serve with one of his classic rally spoiling spins which shoots off Ivanisevic's racket into the crowd at a right angle. 30-40

Double fault...game Sampras.

But really wasn't my cup of tea. Average rally that game 0.66 shots. I guess it resembled park tennis, but at the speed the light, where nobody could keep the ball in play.

Not really fair to mention a match featuring two of the best servers in the entire history of tennis as an example.

Sampras' serve remains the best serve ever seen in the male game. His second serve, in particular, has no match and isn't likely to have in the near future.

As Pistol Pete once said - 'You're only as good as your second serve'.

How true that is.

Ah the golden era of Sampras vs West Ivanisevic. Ivanisevic to serve....

Double fault 0-15

Double fault 0-30

Ace 15-30

Ace 30-30

Sampras manages to return second serve with one of his classic rally spoiling spins which shoots off Ivanisevic's racket into the crowd at a right angle. 30-40

But really wasn't my cup of tea. Average rally that game 0.66 shots. I guess it resembled park tennis, but at the speed the light, where nobody could keep the ball in play.

You picked a low point there. 10 years before you had Becker, Cash and the tail end of McEnroe. Right now the men's game is up with where any sport has ever been .

I loathe Wimbledon. I hate the BBC's coverage even more. I can't stand the cliches and same old thing said each year by all the numerous bland BBC presenters. Sky News is just as bad these days.

What happens this year if it rains and Cliff Richard and Jeremy Clarkson stand up and sing a duet?

Ah the golden era of Sampras vs Ivanisevic. Ivanisevic to serve....

Double fault 0-15

Double fault 0-30

Ace 15-30

Ace 30-30

If that is your's then it's an ace, have a knighthood

:lol::lol::lol:

What happens this year if it rains and Cliff Richard and Jeremy Clarkson stand up and sing a duet?

Did you miss the large roof they now have on Centre Court?

WTA event on in Nottingham at the moment. Think they want £20 to see Agnieszka's knickers though.

Sort of tempted.

I don't get this charging for the WTA...put it this way there are sometimes only a dozen or so supporters on the quieter days in previous years when it was free. Are they charging now for everyday? Certainly wouldn't be splashing out twenty quid.

So how come women footballers don't get the same pay as men? :rolleyes:

I would say the standard of women's football has the widest gap with the men of any sport.

It's probably the one sport where I was as good as the female internationals. I don't know whether this comes down to physical differences and men just have more power in their legs.

I remember a few years back a six aside team of DJs captained by Chris Evans took apart the England women's 6 aside team.

I know things are improvising, but the standard is still very poor.

By contrast the standard of women's athletics and tennis is just unreal these days. The top woman could probably compete with a man around the 5000 mark worldwide, indeed in some athletics events like 100m, may be the number 200. So the gap is waver thin.

Eurosport's tennis coverage is miles better than the Bbc's, especially as they have Annabelle Croft

I remember there was a bit of a sexism row in the late eighties when one of the BBC commentators suggested Croft was too attractive to get to the very top. Can't remember who is was, might have been ''the Daddy'' himself, Dan Maskell.

Of course, he was proved to be right. In any case you have got to be exceptional to hold a top five place, you are competing with everybody in the world.

Can't find a link, pre-internet.

I would say the standard of women's football has the widest gap with the men of any sport.

It's probably the one sport where I was as good as the female internationals. I don't know whether this comes down to physical differences and men just have more power in their legs.

I remember a few years back a six aside team of DJs captained by Chris Evans took apart the England women's 6 aside team.

I know things are improvising, but the standard is still very poor.

By contrast the standard of women's athletics and tennis is just unreal these days. The top woman could probably compete with a man around the 5000 mark worldwide, indeed in some athletics events like 100m, may be the number 200. So the gap is waver thin.

Rugby, boxing and weightlifiting ?

Rugby, boxing and weightlifiting ?

I reckon I'd be down on the canvas after 20 seconds in the ring with tiny Nicola Adams and the women weightlifters can lift a hell of a lot more than most men.

Well yes , Women's Rugby is probably even more in its infancy than Women's football so again the standard is going to be dire.

Athletics yes - tennis no.

Some of the women have pulled off near parity times...the marathon and 100m come to mind. Flo Jo ended up killing herself to get sub 10.5. But then I guess the men were up to the same tricks. On that basis she was exceptional even if she was a cheat.

In the days of Sampras I used to enjoy women's tennis just to get a few rallies.

The game has changed to baseline power play now, and suddenly it is the women's rallies that appear to wilt first and you get those irritating unforced errors.

Some of the women have pulled off near parity times...the marathon and 100m come to mind. Flo Jo ended up killing herself to get sub 10.5. But then I guess the men were up to the same tricks. On that basis she was exceptional even if she was a cheat.

There is some doubt about the wind gauge reading for that record. There was a strong tailwind at that meet which was above the legally allowed range for much of the day.

In a 100m race 0.1 seconds is a lot so I wouldn't call it near parity. The closest women's athletics record to the men's in percentage terms is Paula Radcliffe's 2:15 marathon.

I think this is the most astonishing sprint record which still stands:

I reckon I'd be down on the canvas after 20 seconds in the ring with tiny Nicola Adams and the women weightlifters can lift a hell of a lot more than most men.

Well yes , Women's Rugby is probably even more in its infancy than Women's football so again the standard is going to be dire.

That says more about your prowess at a particular sport than men/women in general though.