House Price Crash Forum

Life

bendy

HOLA441

New world. As I remember it was a fairly cheap one so you may do better spending more money.

Therein lies the problem.

I had a Bosch induction hob. It was fantastic and not a hint if trouble in 8 years. Unfortunately I had to leave it behind when I moved house.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Hi, gas-cooking traditionalist here. Why are they so good?

They are:

Faster than gas.

More efficient than gas.

More controllable than gas.

Much easier to clean than gas.

You can't set fire to yourself.

The hob won't horribly burn you / a child who touches the surface after cooking on it.

You can forget to turn it off - my one turned itself off when the pan was removed.

Get. One. Now.

You only think gas is good because you don't know any better ?

HOLA443

They are:

Faster than gas.

More efficient than gas.

The hob won't horribly burn you / a child who touches the surface after cooking on it.

You can forget to turn it off - my one turned itself off when the pan was removed.

Get. One. Now.

You only think gas is good because you don't know any better

I don't see how you would toast marshmallows on an induction hob.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Went away for a few weeks and forgot to take a couple of empty beer bottles out. Kitchen was full of fruit flies when I got back. How did they get there?

I often wonder this. You don't ever see them 'in nature'. They only seem to exist near overripe bananas in fruitbowls (and empty beer bottles, apparently). Where do they come from? Where do they go to? Must be some weird parallel universe type thing, only explanation.

HOLA446

I often wonder this. You don't ever see them 'in nature'. They only seem to exist near overripe bananas in fruitbowls (and empty beer bottles, apparently). Where do they come from? Where do they go to? Must be some weird parallel universe type thing, only explanation.

It's best not to look at nature. It's horrible really.

HOLA447

Sitting at the hairdresser's recently I saw a sign that said something about them having the right to decline to cut the hair of children who have lice.

"Does that still exist?"

"Oh yes. We get kids come in with that quite often."

"Where do they get it from?"

"Other kids."

"And where do they get it from?"

"Other kids."

There's a recent-ish viral true story about sheryl sandberg,a senior executive at eBay, who found herself discovering her daughter had head lice whilst travelling together on an eBay corporate jet

HOLA448
HOLA449

There's a recent-ish viral true story about sheryl sandberg,a senior executive at eBay, who found herself discovering her daughter had head lice whilst travelling together on an eBay corporate jet

Too busy lecturing other parents on the use of the word bossy to pay attention to her own daughter. Sad, if unsurprising.

HOLA4410

Therein lies the problem.

I had a Bosch induction hob. It was fantastic and not a hint if trouble in 8 years. Unfortunately I had to leave it behind when I moved house.

Did it BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! incessantly like a rubbish truck backing over a bag of squeaky toys whenever you had the audacity to rest anything upon it?

My dishwashers the same BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Does my head in.

HOLA4411

They are:

Faster than gas.

More efficient than gas.

Get. One. Now.

What if you're wearing a watch or a ring or an intimate piercing made of the right kind of metal?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What if you're wearing a watch or a ring or an intimate piercing made of the right kind of metal?

What happens if you place those things (and parts of the body) over a flaming gas hob?

Anyway, if you have a decent hob they detect that the said metal object is not the right size or shape to be a saucepan and the hob switches off. Stops it melting knives etc. They have a thermal cutout too in case you leave the saucepan on the hob for hours.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

They are:

Faster than gas.

More efficient than gas.

Get. One. Now.

More controllable than gas is quite a bold claim. I'm going to find somewhere to test one.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Pics or it didnt happen.

YES, YES in sepia, from the Victorian era! With a giant moustache in the background.

HOLA4420

More controllable than gas is quite a bold claim. I'm going to find somewhere to test one.

By that I mean being able to fine-tune the power. Mine had about 20 power settings so I could change the heat levels with a high degree of accuracy. They respond immediately to the power setting changes.

Really, just get one. Unless you've got a pacemaker of course.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You've never used an induction hob have you?

Not quite sure !!

I would give one a go to try. The fact no decent restaurant kitchens use them surely tells us they aren't quite up there with gas ?

HOLA4423

They are:

Faster than gas.

More efficient than gas.

Get. One. Now.

There is a problem with induction hobs-- you can't lift the pan off the surface without causing the thing to shut down. I like to lift and shake the pan when sauteing, but I find it impossible to do this with the induction hob I have. They also don't work with copper or aluminium pans. I've just ordered a new range cooker that has a half gas and half induction cooktop. It's the most indulgent thing I've ever bought.

HOLA4424

Ah I see - so you have to pick and choose your pans - and it only heats if directly touching the pan ?

Now I understand why pro kitchens don't use them. I would either. Gas still heats even if you have lifted the pan - that's a massive difference.

So gas all the way then. :)

HOLA4425

Ah I see - so you have to pick and choose your pans - and it only heats if directly touching the pan ?

Now I understand why pro kitchens don't use them. I would either. Gas still heats even if you have lifted the pan - that's a massive difference.

So gas all the way then. :)

Induction does give you much better control over temperature, as well as heating up faster. In comparison to gas, I don't think one is better than the other. They're both very good, but it depends on your cooking style. It does seem somewhat hard to understand, though, why they make any non-induction electric hobs these days.

Archived