House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bendy

Life

amazing how it can just pop-up anywhere hey!

One thing you don't want in yours is carpet moths - a good portion of the bedroom has been eaten and I'm on day 3 of pressure steaming the hell out of every room in the house now which may still result in an eaten house.

If there is stuff that can eat (dead I assume) fibres in carpets, even if mixed with synthetic crap then without doubt there are aliens out there!

Fully synthetic carpets are the way forward. This is one of those areas where the modern alternatives should have rendered the traditional materials obsolete, but for some reason the idea persists that the old ways are better.

Fully synthetic carpets are the way forward. This is one of those areas where the modern alternatives should have rendered the traditional materials obsolete, but for some reason the idea persists that the old ways are better.

For some reason the idea persists that any new method must be better, instead of just a cheap and nasty knock-off.

Certainly, wool carpets are naturally fire retardant. Perhaps that's why they blend synthetics with wool.

the wool is what they've chomped! Stone floors and rugs are the way (backwards) forward!

For some reason the idea persists that any new method must be better, instead of just a cheap and nasty knock-off.

They may be nasty - and more likely to give you a carpet burn - but they're not always cheap.

In some areas the old ways are better, in some the new ways. If you want the best from life, the trick is telling the difference rather than desperately clinging to the past through misguided nostalgia, or blindly leaping into the future through nieve optimism.

True although "misguided nostalgia" is missing the point a little - if you like something as it was then that's a perfectly good reason not to change. Certainly an obsession with purely functional and economic aspects is responsible for a large amount of the highly functional but characterless crap that surrounds us, net result worse life even if it's an easier one. "Better" is not something that can be measured.

True although "misguided nostalgia" is missing the point a little - if you like something as it was then that's a perfectly good reason not to change. Certainly an obsession with purely functional and economic aspects is responsible for a large amount of the highly functional but characterless crap that surrounds us, net result worse life even if it's an easier one. "Better" is not something that can be measured.

That depends what you're talking about. If you want a carpet that won't get a moth infestation then a synthetic carpet is measurably better.

OK then, "overall most desirable" is not something that can be measured. Some individual criteria may be which it certainly makes sense to consider when buying a carpet but it's still possible to end up having your best choice as one that comes out worse on most or all the things you can actually measure. In the same vein there's probably not one measurable thing that tells me I'm better living where I am now compared to where I used to, but I'm happier here (still pissed off about the rest of the world) Is it just nostalgia that makes me prefer this much older building? I'd say not, although fair enough to ask me again in the middle of winter.

OK then, "overall most desirable" is not something that can be measured. Some individual criteria may be which it certainly makes sense to consider when buying a carpet but it's still possible to end up having your best choice as one that comes out worse on most or all the things you can actually measure. In the same vein there's probably not one measurable thing that tells me I'm better living where I am now compared to where I used to, but I'm happier here (still pissed off about the rest of the world) Is it just nostalgia that makes me prefer this much older building? I'd say not, although fair enough to ask me again in the middle of winter.

If you're making a choice for reasons you don't understand that turns out to be the worst choice according to all that is measurable then its worth considering that you may be a little misguided :)

If you're making a choice for reasons you don't understand that turns out to be the worst choice according to all that is measurable then its worth considering that you may be a little misguided :)

"Not measurable" does not mean "don't understand" and it's misguided to ignore those things. Aesthetics are hugely important and not really measurable (who chooses a carpet and thinks "any old colour and pattern will do?"); the best you can do is come up with some fairly common trends but the exceptions are numerous.

We've had a plague of clothes/carpet moths, ditto an ex colleague of mine. There is the odd chewed hole in our (wool) carpets, and the odd hole in sweaters - they always go for your nicest things.

Mr B has spent a bomb on moth killers. We have a spray in just about every room, plus he's put out sticky traps which apparently attract them with phero-thingies that drive the moths wild with lust. At any rate they have caught a lot of them.

It's funny, because for many years I never saw or heard of clothes moths - they belonged in the past, associated with very old people's houses and the smell of mothballs wafting from musty old clothes in musty old bedrooms.

When Mr B cleared the loft recently of God knows how much stuff in order to put in more insulation, we found a small wool rug that I think came from his folks' house, almost completely eaten away. A couple of larger wool rugs were untouched - can't have tasted so nice.

I would still never have non-wool carpets, though. They just don't feel as nice.

My mum used to put conkers in all the clothes drawers.

Nature's mothballs, perhaps.

Anyway, my Little Lord Fauntleroy Velvet Outfit with Knickerbockers never got eaten, no matter how many caterpillars I stuffed into the drawer.

A few days ago the wife suggested that I get my suit out as we`re likely to need it for a funeral. So I got this thing out with a fair amount of trepidation ....but the suit was fine!

I guess that being as the suit was double breasted, with turn-ups, definitely a touch of the Al Capone`s about it....would have scarred most moths away.

Some old things are still good.

A few days ago the wife suggested that I get my suit out as we`re likely to need it for a funeral. So I got this thing out with a fair amount of trepidation ....but the suit was fine!

I guess that being as the suit was double breasted, with turn-ups, definitely a touch the Al Capone`s about it....would have scarred most moths away.

Some old things are still good.

I still use my Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit for funerals.

Guest eight

Induction hobs - single biggest life changing technological improvement in the history of mankind.

Induction hobs - single biggest life changing technological improvement in the history of mankind.

Funnily enough I've got one and don't like it. Apart from the endless ******ing beeping It was also a tactical blunder as my father in law and brother in law are plumbers who will pretty much come round and do any gas or plumbing work my wife requests at cost, and at the drop of a hat. That was something I thought about a lot when it packed in Christmas eve. I got it fixed (eventually) under warranty, but next time it breaks it's going to the tip.

Guest eight

Funnily enough I've got one and don't like it. Apart from the endless ******ing beeping It was also a tactical blunder as my father in law and brother in law are plumbers who will pretty much come round and do any gas or plumbing work my wife requests at cost, and at the drop of a hat. That was something I thought about a lot when it packed in Christmas eve. I got it fixed (eventually) under warranty, but next time it breaks it's going to the tip.

Yeah, the beeping is annoying. But the actual functioning of the thing is the nearest thing to bona fide magic I've ever come across. Maybe I'm just easily impressed.

Yeah, the beeping is annoying. But the actual functioning of the thing is the nearest thing to bona fide magic I've ever come across. Maybe I'm just easily impressed.

When they work they're great, but I can't be doing with the hassle of dealing with it when it goes wrong. Or more accurately the hassle of dealing with my wife who did not handle the prospect of pot noodle for Christmas dinner as well as I had expected. And I had not expected her to handle it well :)