House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DownandoutWT

Boomers

Fricken boomers.

Don't worry, given the age demographic they'll all be dead soon.

To be fair to the boomers they deserve their free unearned untaxed house equity, jobs for life and index linked pensions because they unluckily missed out on the honour of dying horribly for queen and country in world war two.

What will your subsequent generation call your lot? My guess. The dead from the third great war.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Don't they make you laugh... I began to get into a dicsussion with one and he claimed the only advantage his generation had is that they didn't have to fight in a world war like their parents had to.

Just think of the potential House Price Crash that all their homes coming onto the market could trigger. :unsure:

When the time comes I will thrash a boomer with a bottle of lambrini because I enjoy ironic violence.

I will then seize there house. I will create a defensive perimeter by setting fire to the quashqai and caravan

I will then weaponize the collection of exclusive royal doulton porcelain figurines in the 2nd spare bedroom by chucking them at whomever comes to try and take my new house.

Suffering in moderate doses can lead to good character traits like wisdom, tolerance and empathy for others. The trouble with most Boomers is that they have had too easy a ride of it in their adult lives and have not picked up these character traits.

Living through the most prosperous economic period in human history may be nice to experience first-hand, but the evidence is that it is likely to turn you into an insufferable ar5ehole.

Edited by Dorkins

Boomers;

They have had it SOoooo good. Back in the day you could buy a detached 4 bed on a single busman's wage, and let inflation erode the debt away.

Your office job (core hours only) was protected by a strong union. You didn't spend all day, all night, or all weekend responding to emails, heck a secretary sorted the flim flam before you had to worry yourself about it.

Money in savings accounts rocketed, as did your gold pension; you retired early and spend your days in self agreement that 'kids today don't know the meaning of hard work'.

What does the busman's wage today buy? F all. Even when you add the wife's care worker salary in (when she gets paid from the zero's hours contracts). At best you can afford a flat or a cardboard box on a sh:ty estate. Build for maximum profits by the building company who's managing director doubles up with you for a boat share.

Here's the deal. All the stuff you have had; the pension, the pay rises, the welfare. All of that you did not pay for. If you did - why is there a national debt? No you didn't pay for it, you stole your children's credit card and maxed it out before handing it back 'sorry there is no money left'. W@nkers.

Suffering in moderate doses can lead to good character traits like wisdom, tolerance and empathy for others. The trouble with most Boomers is that they have had too easy a ride of it in their adult lives and have not picked up these character traits.

Living through the most prosperous economic period in human history may be nice to experience first-hand, but the evidence is that it is likely to turn you into an insufferable ar5ehole.

Yes, all they have ever known has been straight forward so in their minds why can't a 20-40 something get a decent job, hold down the job, buy a house, save hard and retire in good health? They did it, so must be something wrong with everbody else.

I suppose for many of us, being locked out of home ownership, lacking any job security and pondering potential outcomes such as having to find work at 67 to cover the rent; all builds character perhaps!

It's not like you're even exaggerating that much DownandoutWT. A massive long-wave multi-decade bubble, on ever increasing debts, then rates floored and QE Global Glory, for every more HPI glory/protection. Carry it, and enjoy it. Think of the victims who can't know anything... who have no idea £400K for a house is not value... no one to tell them of the risks.

May 02 2014

The chief executive of one of Britain's biggest companies, insurer Legal & General, has weighed into the controversial "intergenerational" debate by claiming that baby boomers have "lived for free".

His argument is that house price gains enjoyed by those who bought homes in the 1970s and 1980s have been so great as to entirely offset their mortgage interest costs. In that sense, baby-boomers have paid neither interest nor rent and lived for free.

He painted a dramatic picture of an older generation "sitting on" trillions of pounds worth of housing, while a younger, hard-pressed generation will have to carry debts worth more than a trillion pounds for decades or longer.

http://www.housepric...insurance-boss/

There's a thread on the MSE forums at the moment where someone is asking for investment advice for his pension income as he's just turned 65... without wanting to sound too cruel the o.p. doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box and appears to have very little grasp of basic financial issues so I'm guessing he possibly didn't have the most intellectually challenging job, yet his pension pot consists of £145k lump sum and £22k per year after that (plus state pension!)

There's a thread on the MSE forums at the moment where someone is asking for investment advice for his pension income as he's just turned 65... without wanting to sound too cruel the o.p. doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box and appears to have very little grasp of basic financial issues so I'm guessing he possibly didn't have the most intellectually challenging job, yet his pension pot consists of £145k lump sum and £22k per year after that (plus state pension!)

Sounds like a public sector boomer

Let me guess it's not much for a lifetime working, pulling the nation up by its bootstraps after the Napoleonic wars, and never owning an iPad

Let me guess it's not much for a lifetime working, pulling the nation up by its bootstraps after the Napoleonic wars, and never owning an iPad

Your prejudices precede you :D

Strong possibility but plenty of non public sector companies I'm thinking manufacturing and chemical industries (from experience) would have offered this kind of opportunity to hard working not particularly smart people back in the day before we all supposedly went to uni and sit in front of a computer.

Not hard to "progress" to a £50k a year position just by virtue of time served if you got in somewhere 35+ years ago.

Edited by 25 year mortgage 8itch

Ah yes, and don't forget the sacrifices he made... no doubt had to scrimp and save for a whole 6 MONTHS to get the deposit together for his first house.

Oh the hardship!