House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pipllman

What Landlords Want To Happen

There are some sensible contributors on property tribes and I expect it is frequented by some good landlords.

This thread, started by the famous Fergus, has attracted some interest - 'What would you like in the Landlord Package from the government to incentivise you to help build homes for 3m people'

Some of the views, in particular on P2 and P3, are sensibly put.

http://www.propertytribes.com/where-now-david-cameron-t-14385-2.html

Let me guess:

- Banks to lend them money at -5%

- Tenants (or the council) to pay 10k/month for a 2 up, 2 down in Skegness.

- The population to carry them about on their shoulders, cheering 'LL are the bested people in the world'

- A blowy of all the Victoria Secret models, every morning.

Let me guess:

- Banks to lend them money at -5%

- Tenants (or the council) to pay 10k/month for a 2 up, 2 down in Skegness.

- The population to carry them about on their shoulders, cheering 'LL are the bested people in the world'

- A blowy of all the Victoria Secret models, every morning.

Pretty much:

'I have not had to do this too often but having to evict a deliberate non-paying tenant is always a real fear. You can guarantee that it will come at a bad time, Non payment should be grounds for very rapid eviction.'

I hope that change will come with rapid repo of LLs not paying their BTL mortgages, taking their OO and pension (public sector ones) too.

Fat fergies on the thread.

Great - a chance to step into the mind of a financial genius of our times.......

its really echo-ey!

Here are a couple

Require councils and housing associations to convert 3-5% of their stock into houseshares and HMOs aimed at single people of all ages. Why do only private landlords offer this type of housing? There is huge need, and providing competition from the social sector would help drive the poor-quality HMO landlords out of business or force them to improve their offering. The bad, illegal landlords need to be hit where it hurts, in their pockets, by increasing the supply and improving the quality of houseshares. Perhaps it would also force council officials to stop being so sneery and critical of HMOs, once they realise the amount of work involved and the valuable housing service that is being provided.

Require councils to oblige that 50% of the land on any new housing estate should be sold at market price in parcels of 1-20 serviced plots to small builders, custom-builders and self-builders. The large landowners and developers will still get their planning gain, less their costs and social housing and other infrastructure provision, but the actual construction work and profit margin will be released to let a hundred flowers bloom amongst small builders and people who want to build their own home. This happens in many other countries, so why does the UK let mass housebuilding be dominated by a few landowners and national companies, with all the risks of a cartel and deliberate restriction of supply to force up prices?

councils should be allowed to keep fines and proceeds of crime won through their investigation and prosecution of bad landlords. It is deeply unfair to expect councils to enforce the multiple legislation options available to them, but not allow them to use the proceeds of crime to finance their operations. If the money must still go to the Treasury, perhaps to discourage over-zealous prosecutions, a good proportion of it should still come back to the councils in the form of a dedicated grant. Good landlords and organisations like the NLA and RLA should see councils as their friends, provided they use existing legislation effectively against bad landlords and do not try - as they sadly do too often - tar all landlords with the same brush.

Here are a couple

Require councils and housing associations to convert 3-5% of their stock into houseshares and HMOs aimed at single people of all ages. Why do only private landlords offer this type of housing? There is huge need, and providing competition from the social sector would help drive the poor-quality HMO landlords out of business or force them to improve their offering. The bad, illegal landlords need to be hit where it hurts, in their pockets, by increasing the supply and improving the quality of houseshares. Perhaps it would also force council officials to stop being so sneery and critical of HMOs, once they realise the amount of work involved and the valuable housing service that is being provided.

Why stop at HMOs? Why not get them to bring back the pre-war tenements and rookeries too, while they're about it.

how about this one (my bold)

INTEREST RATES

Ok this is market driven, I understand that and I don't think there is much that can be done here.

I watched a film called Margin Call last night and it made me relate to my own situation. How many of us could comfortably afford a return to a base rate of 5% now? What about 10%?

I would welcome anything which gave greater security. I am no expert on this, but perhaps a commitment to a maximum base rate rise within a 5 year time period would be helpful?

how about this one (my bold)

INTEREST RATES

Ok this is market driven, I understand that and I don't think there is much that can be done here.

I watched a film called Margin Call last night and it made me relate to my own situation. How many of us could comfortably afford a return to a base rate of 5% now? What about 10%?

I would welcome anything which gave greater security. I am no expert on this, but perhaps a commitment to a maximum base rate rise within a 5 year time period would be helpful?

My bold.

You bunch of ***** provide almost no security to your tenants and yet you expect the security on your funding costs.

I just don't have the words for it.

Only a huge need for HMO's because house prices are so high and social stock ended up c***ing private rentiers hands!

"Everyone should live in a shoebox except me as I provide a valuable service"

Didn't bother with the link.

wise and informed commentator - your valuable contribution is appreciated

Indeed - 8 years on here tends to make you just that ;)