House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Estate Agent Foxtons Risks A Legal Bill As High As £42Million After Charging A Landlord £616 To Change A Light Fitting

BTL landlord getting shafted. Foxtons getting sued. What could be better?

You missed the downside. Biggest crooks of all - the lawyers - getting a feast.

Not sure what the problem is. Idle landlord hires Foxton's to change light fitting. He must surely know Foxton's are an estate agent and not electricians. Not unsurprisingly he gets shafted on cost.

Landlords really shouldn't be allowed out on their own should they?

Not sure what the problem is. Idle landlord hires Foxton's to change light fitting. He must surely know Foxton's are an estate agent and not electricians. Not unsurprisingly he gets shafted on cost.

Landlords really shouldn't be allowed out on their own should they?

its not the amounts...its the double bubble that wasnt in the agreement he is sueing over.

Solicitors believe Foxtons was wrong for failing to declare a conflict of interest as it gains from commission from contractors as well as from landlords

But no one is right bothered about the 'conflict of interest' of acting/collecting money from both landlords and tenants?

Always thought the letting agent model was legally suspect. An agent can't have two principals

Edited by RentierParadisio

its not the amounts...its the double bubble that wasnt in the agreement he is sueing over.

I wonder how many other letting/estate agents do the same and how many LLs will be looking at their bills a bit more closely? Could we see EAs and LLs at each others throats - lets hope so! :lol:

How many people need paying to change a lightbulb....

I'm sure the lawyers will be the only ones to make a killing.

The only people who win when you go to court are the solicitors.

The only people who win when you go to court are the solicitors.

As written by John Gay in 1728:

A Fox may steal your hens, sir

A Whore your health and pence, sir

Your daughter rob your chest, sir

Your wife may steal your rest, sir

A thief your goods and plate

But this is all but picking

With rest, pence, chest and chicken

It ever was decreed, sir

If Lawyer's Hand is fee'd, sir

He steals your whole estate

£616 to replace light fitting!!!!!!

Wish i had that job. I would only need to do one a week

£16 for the worker, £600 for the middlemen.

That's the way of the UK.

The sooner this housing market really collapses and we are free from the parasitic economy the better for us all.

Short term pain, long term gain

£16 for the worker, £600 for the middlemen.

That's the way of the UK.

The sooner this housing market really collapses and we are free from the parasitic economy the better for us all.

Short term pain, long term gain

couldnt agree more, I dont even care about owning a house anymore. I just want to see all the greedy and lazy get some!

couldnt agree more, I dont even care about owning a house anymore. I just want to see all the greedy and lazy get some!

You and me both.

When not working, creaming off the top, relying on others, working for a charity becomes more profitable than creating stuff/building stuff/wealth creation then society has a problem.

WE have a problem.

Unfortunately, this never happens. The parasitic elites salt most of their ill gotten gains into safe havens like British Virgin Islands or physical gold so they are always insulated from the mayhem and misery they cause for the vast majority.

Life for the vast majority alternates between; Grinding serfdom when the 'economic cycle is on the up' and destitution when the economic cycle collapses.

The fleetingly short 30 years after WW2 was an historic abberation.

Unfortunately, this never happens. The parasitic elites salt most of their ill gotten gains into safe havens like British Virgin Islands or physical gold so they are always insulated from the mayhem and misery they cause for the vast majority.

Life for the vast majority alternates between; Grinding serfdom when the 'economic cycle is on the up' and destitution when the economic cycle collapses.

The fleetingly short 30 years after WW2 was an historic abberation.

True true although its not really the elites who bother me so much. They will always be even if we have a violent uprising a new class of greedy psychopaths will simply fill the gaps. It seems to be the curse of the human race.

I am personally sick of

being patronised by people who arent fit to shine my shoes

My future and that of my children sold out to feed a class of parasitic landlords.

the drain on all the economy to keep them afloat.

By parasitic landlords I dont mean for example, the bloke i rented form who didn't need the money he just rented the house out because it was his mum and dads and he couldnt bear to part with it. I mean the boring lazy phil spencer cult who were too dumb at school to be doctors or engineers so instead choose to leech from society and now have created such a ******ing hole everything is being sacrificed to keep them going. This includes killing disabled people by cutting off help and services.

There is a big media campaign at the moment to deride those on the dole or making claims but for me its the wanna be landlords who have ******ed us and I hold responsible for much of the current situation. Them and there owners "the banks"

3 good landlords I have had in my life, professional, prompt and who actually care more than money. the rest were vile greedy lazy and thick. Some of the very worst people I have met. I am loving it now they are starting to get some!

By parasitic landlords I dont mean for example, the bloke i rented form who didn't need the money he just rented the house out because it was his mum and dads and he couldnt bear to part with it. I mean the boring lazy phil spencer cult who were too dumb at school to be doctors or engineers so instead choose to leech from society and now have created such a ******ing hole everything is being sacrificed to keep them going. This includes killing disabled people by cutting off help and services.

I remember when they used to get jobs at kiwk fit ( or similar tyre fitting organisations ).

:lol::lol::lol:

I didnt half wonder that they keep it all going because they don't know what to do with millions of ******ing idiots who are incapable of doing anything else.

I mean it could be dangerous if they decided to fix gas appliances or fix cars. :)

I didn't expect this story to go anywhere.

All landlord's circumstances being different, and have to bring claims to prove what they think they're owed - if anything at all, for perhaps t&cs have something in their to cover it.

I've not checked but I doubt my brother (commercial litigation solicitor) would take any of this on - or tell individual clients not commercially worth it. Depends how much each is trying to claim.

Foxtons used a subcontractor called Maintenance1st to do the work. Dr Chris Townley was billed £550 plus £66 VAT, but he later found that the subcontractor had charged much less.

Dr Townley, a law lecturer at King’s College London, signed up with Foxtons to let and manage his London property in 2011.

In 2013, he was sent a bill for the repair, but he demanded a refund after complaining that the work was substandard. Maintenance1st disputed this and did not refund Dr Townley.

The estate agent had reluctantly put him in touch with Maintenance1st, which told him its charge for the work was £412.50.

Now DM is running other Celeb landlord story all heated up about it.

Former Watchdog presenters Lynn Faulds Wood and her husband John Stapleton are set to join 100 landlords suing estate agent Foxtons for charging exorbitant commissions for repair work.

Ms Faulds Wood said she felt ‘cheated’ after learning the estate agent - which manages a property the couple own in South London - was accused of charging landlords ‘secret commissions’ of nearly 50 per cent.

The couple also detailed emails showing how Foxtons tried to charge them £2,000 to fix a leaky shower. They eventually managed to find their own plumber and fix the problem for under £400.

What sort of mental claim is that? It's just like it's a big opportunity to get in press as LANDLORD coolness look at me.. landlord here. They didn't like the quote and found someone cheaper. That's life.

As I was told decades ago... "Remember, the motor service trade, like any other service and repair business, exists to turn a profit by advising as much work to be done as the client will accept."

Chris Haan from Leigh Day said: 'Since we revealed we were taking this case we have been overwhelmed by the response of the public. We’ve been contacted by over 100 people and we are now investigating each case.

'We believe, through the stories we are hearing, that most people who used Foxtons to rent or manage their property will be entitled to be part of the group claim.'

Foxtons said it could not comment on specifics as the issue was ‘a legal dispute’ but it was satisfied its charges were clear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3123138/Watchdog-duo-100-landlords-sue-Foxtons-estate-agents-secretly-charging-exorbitant-commissions-repair-work.html

Edited by Venger