House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Instructables.com

Is it just me or is it mostly a load of old crap by people obsessed with making stuff from old wooden pallets, for some reason?

Speaking as someone who derives tremendous pleasure out of turning old pallets and crap into different shaped crap, I frequently find myself more disappointed than I probably should be when my travels take me there.

YANBU

I went to Yanbu in Saudi Arabia once!

I went to Yanbu in Saudi Arabia once!

Are you sure you aren't confusing googling an acronym, to see what it means, and finding it's also a place somewhere with actually going?

This was what had happened when I thought I'd been to Swmbo but it turned out there was no such place.

This was what had happened when I thought I'd been to Swmbo but it turned out there was no such place.

I took a day trip to Lolsville when I read that :lol::lol::lol:

Speaking as someone who derives tremendous pleasure out of turning old pallets and crap into different shaped crap, I frequently find myself more disappointed than I probably should be when my travels take me there.

In that case I'd like some plans for garden chairs, possibly made from decking planks.

Chop, chop.

It feels really difficult to rag on people who are using the internet and also doing something with their hands, that doesn't involve masturbation*.

I similarly get sucked into something on there, thinking it sounds like the sort of thing I'm trying to achieve, only to be disappointed by the mediocrity - and if there's anything electrical, you think 'ok I get you're trying to save money but christ spend a few pence on some heatshrink tubing'. I suppose I could tolerate sloppy construction and poor finish, if there was some genius behind the idea but, frequently there's neither.

I don't know if the problem is no editorial quality control. It's certainly a general problem, with the internet, it's great it gives anyone a voice, or platform, but it simultaneously also gives everyone a voice, or platform, which drowns out the talented.

(*Unless someone has built some rickety half-arsed wooden pallet based w@nking machine, I've missed on there)

I similarly get sucked into something on there, thinking it sounds like the sort of thing I'm trying to achieve, only to be disappointed by the mediocrity - and if there's anything electrical, you think 'ok I get you're trying to save money but christ spend a few pence on some heatshrink tubing'

As discussed on an earlier thread, I reserve the heat shrink tubing for aglet duty on DIY/ refurbished boot laces.

Instructables partners well with the prevailing, Sangatte-chic, ethos on my allotment. I did actually crib Instructables for pointers on how to fashion a couple of stackable wormeries out of a dozen retired recycling boxes that came my way. Unsurprisingly, the most popular designs are a bit crap/ impractical.

At home I've got a couple of purpose made ones (the ones that look like beehives), much nicer.

Edit: on the subject of w@nking machines, coincidentally, I did actually check instructables for DIY s3x toys after first seeing this thread, and...

http://m.instructables.com/id/Electric-Eel-Soft-Stimulating-Toy/

Though I suppose two OT posters independently thinking along those lines isn't that much of a coincidence in the scheme of things

When I was a child I used to make motorised working fruit machines out of cardboard boxes and Lego motors.

It was all downhill from there.

;)