House Price Crash Forum

Cardiff Down To 2003/2004 Price And Not Selling

HOLA441

Well well well, one of the places near me that has been on sale for about a year is now selling at a price last seen around late 2003 / early 2004! The price is now down to £239k mark with 4 EA boards up, gets better the people a few doors down are hoping for £274k for a pretty much an identical house (been on the market for around the same period of time).

HOLA442

That is very interesting- I was wondering when things were going to start changing in Caerdydd & area! My sister is waiting to buy there but things are still pretty silly- I think there will be big drops in s wales though- the prices there are similar to those in the south east at the moment but without anywhere near the wages!

(still not convinced that Splott is an "up & coming" area either- heard of a house there for 180k- poxy terrace that looks the same as everywhere else! 190k for a terrace in Roath that went for 65k 5 years ago- totally hilarious!) :lol:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It's the Roath/Pen-y-lan area, so a decent enough area. Last house that sold went for £285k late summer 2004 (if I remember correctly) - they must be over the moon knowing the value of their house they bought has gone down by over £40k.

Roath area is just silly, especially places that are anywhere near the uni or the park. Thing is, the terraces in Cardiff in places like Roath have traditionally been FTB areas and now they go for near 200k- that is just crazy and they arent even nice houses- just rows and rows of houses that all look the same! It truly amazes me- I would be interested to know what the average salary in cardiff is!

HOLA446

I'm not seeing the same thing on the other side of Cardiff. I expected prices to fall a lot this year in

Pontcanna because it's so overpriced, but they haven't. A lot of houses have recently sold after sitting on the market for months. Three houses on the same street (Pontcanna St)have all sold stc over the past few weeks after being on the market for ages - asking prices were all 350k ish, for normal victorian terraces. I don't know who is still buying at those prices, especially in December, they can't be BTL, it just doesn't make sense.

HOLA447

Well well well, one of the places near me that has been on sale for about a year is now selling at a price last seen around late 2003 / early 2004! The price is now down to £239k mark with 4 EA boards up, gets better the people a few doors down are hoping for £274k for a pretty much an identical house (been on the market for around the same period of time).

Renting in shrewsbury. £700pcm for 3 bed apartment in one of those regency newbuild developments with your own parking space etc. Identical place two doors down sold for 195K in may2004. Now on the market for the same price. Very interesting- by the new year it will be selling at two year old prices.

700pcm is equal to 90k ish capital repayment mortgage. How is my landlord making a profit on 700. How does he make ends meet?

Oh cripes! He's not dumping the place in teh spring? :o:o:o

HOLA448

I'm not seeing the same thing on the other side of Cardiff. I expected prices to fall a lot this year in

Pontcanna because it's so overpriced, but they haven't. A lot of houses have recently sold after sitting on the market for months. Three houses on the same street (Pontcanna St)have all sold stc over the past few weeks after being on the market for ages - asking prices were all 350k ish, for normal victorian terraces. I don't know who is still buying at those prices, especially in December, they can't be BTL, it just doesn't make sense.

Interesting to hear that, but Pontcanna and Llandaff are occupied by the media crowd from the BBC so I guess that helps prop-up the prices there.

Have a check on nethouseprices.com in a few months time and see what they actaully sold for.

HOLA449

I know several luvvies who have bought properties in Pontcanna, done them up as yuppie flats and are then renting them out to celebs and cast members who come and sing opera, appear in the New Theatre, etc. They are getting the 'lets' on the basis of being luvvies in the know... so what is happening in Pontcanna is not a true description of the current market... and, of course, it is bolstered by the luvvies who, well, we used to call it 'Media City' in my day.

HOLA4410

Remember, Cardiff started to boom in '97 when the Assembly got the go ahead. Prices going back to 2001 will not be enough IMPO.

I agree, 1999 would be more like it. We went to look at a few properties at that time. Granted they were only in Chavston Villa but were going for around 45k. Those same houses would now be demanding around 130k. Wish we'd bought one now - we could have MEWed and bought a static in Burnham-on-Sea :lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Well the house going for £239k near me has just Sold STC (will have to wait a while to see how much for exactly), this isn't good news for the person selling a near identical house a few doors away for £275k (looks like he'll have to reduce by £25k at least), and even worse news for the ultra-muppet who was trying to sell his for £300k (took it off the market till prices improved :lol::lol::lol: )

Me thinks 2006 may be a good year.

HOLA4412

Well the house going for £239k near me has just Sold STC (will have to wait a while to see how much for exactly), this isn't good news for the person selling a near identical house a few doors away for £275k (looks like he'll have to reduce by £25k at least), and even worse news for the ultra-muppet who was trying to sell his for £300k (took it off the market till prices improved :lol::lol::lol: )

Me thinks 2006 may be a good year.

I would just LOVE to know though how people in cardiff/ s wales are affording all these places on the lowest wages in europe! Even the BBC doesnt pay that well does it?!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Heard from a friend last night that houses in cardiff are selling above asking price (whitchurch) - happy days it seems..... ;) - dont quite believe that things are so rosy myself!

Charlotte and Gav just bought there mun ....they've skewed the figures....

HOLA4415

Heard from a friend last night that houses in cardiff are selling above asking price (whitchurch) - happy days it seems..... ;) - dont quite believe that things are so rosy myself!

Not estate agents are they ;) or have they just been talking to EA's too much :lol:

Here are the figures for the county (not just city) as a whole

Average Cost: £167,798

Detached: £276,471

Semi-detached: £172,018

Terraced: £152,232

Flat: £139,672

Change in last quarter: -0.8%

Change in last year: 2.3%

Sales: 1571

So over the last year they've gone up in line with inflation, wow forget gold I'm buying property in Cardiff :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

What part of Cardiff are we alking about.

Remember, Cardiff started to boom in '97 when the Assembly got the go ahead. Prices going back to 2001 will not be enough IMPO.

Yes, S. Wales prices are on the levels of the South East of England but some of the lowest wages in EUROPE!

I seem to remember EAs ramping Wales as the British Riviera--with prices to match. 1 milion for sea view in Llandudno etc. Might explain why Wales has seen the highest HPI. When people realise that the wages don't match there could be a collective "oo-err."

HOLA4418

I heard from some close friends who live up the valleys that the news on the street is that Cardiff prices are still rising- again, not sure I believe that at all- some other views would be good!

We have been looking in Cardiff since last August. We have sold and currently renting "down the Bay" We have considered all areas as we have lived in Cardiff before and are originally from S Wales. We have been surprised at the prices and the poor quality of the housing stock, we have seen some shockers £400k+ Pontcanna is overpriced but they seem to be selling but best value for money seems to be Pen y Lan. Lots of property has been on the market for over a year with vendors not reducing so where are they going? Its a speculative sale--if we get the price we'll look for something else. we will continue our search--any suggestions?

HOLA4419

We have been looking in Cardiff since last August. We have sold and currently renting "down the Bay" We have considered all areas as we have lived in Cardiff before and are originally from S Wales. We have been surprised at the prices and the poor quality of the housing stock, we have seen some shockers £400k+ Pontcanna is overpriced but they seem to be selling but best value for money seems to be Pen y Lan. Lots of property has been on the market for over a year with vendors not reducing so where are they going? Its a speculative sale--if we get the price we'll look for something else. we will continue our search--any suggestions?

Halifax figures released yesterday show figures down 3% in Cardiff in last quarter, with falls in Newport and Swansea too - that's their figures it takes no account of the after sales 10 and 15k discounts the developers are offering on newbuilds in the Bay and Radyr etc

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/quarterlyregionalcomments.asp

Only places in South Wales still rising now are the sink areas where the upwards ripple spread to last of all where people priced out of the M4 citys are now moving to and commuting from, as the downwards ripple spreads there we'll see the +15% in RhonddacynonTaff and Merthyr get wiped out......patience....softly softly catchee monkee

Things are pretty sick in Cardiff right now - I'm hearing rumours a VERY large building project of residential flats in the city centre is about to be cancelled - or at least substantially modified.

HOLA4420

Halifax figures released yesterday show figures down 3% in Cardiff in last quarter, with falls in Newport and Swansea too - that's their figures it takes no account of the after sales 10 and 15k discounts the developers are offering on newbuilds in the Bay and Radyr etc

http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/quarterlyregionalcomments.asp

Only places in South Wales still rising now are the sink areas where the upwards ripple spread to last of all where people priced out of the M4 citys are now moving to and commuting from, as the downwards ripple spreads there we'll see the +15% in RhonddacynonTaff and Merthyr get wiped out......patience....softly softly catchee monkee

Things are pretty sick in Cardiff right now - I'm hearing rumours a VERY large building project of residential flats in the city centre is about to be cancelled - or at least substantially modified.

The figures seem to reflect what I've seen.

Interesting about the flats development, wonder if its the one next to the train station...