House Price Crash Forum

Viewpoint: How Life In A Caravan Set Us Free - Time More Valuable Than ££

HOLA441
HOLA442

The moment I started reading the article I knew there was something more to it.

Yep. They've got a book out. And probably another one or two on the way.

Wonder what would happen to the next family to follow their example when the market for "I quit my job, sold my house and live in a caravan" books is saturated?

Sadly the time I lost reading that worthless article can never be found again.

HOLA443

The moment I started reading the article I knew there was something more to it.

Yep. They've got a book out. And probably another one or two on the way.

Wonder what would happen to the next family to follow their example when the market for "I quit my job, sold my house and live in a caravan" books is saturated?

Sadly the time I lost reading that worthless article can never be found again.

Thanks for saving me the time. I'll try to use it wisely. ;)

HOLA444

Our rent costs us a grand a month.

I suppose that probably would pay for fuel and pitch fees.

And I can work from 'anywhere' with a laptop. As long as it has a decent connection. After all, we use 4G for our home connection and get fast speeds. Though it won't work everywhere.

However if what we're talking about is basically swapping life in a permanent home (as in a building) for the same but in a caravan then on balance, the house wins.

If I were in a financial position where money was not important because I had a stack of it stashed, then yes, knowing I could 'restart' a conventional life might give me the potential impetus to try something like that. I recall another member on here being in precisely that situation and it's compelling especially if travel is attractive to you. I like going camping because the buzz when you stay up lying on the ground looking up at the stars and when you wake is very real.

I guess that selling a book might provide an income to 'keep going'. Because while your time is precious and arguably more important than money from a lifestyle point of view, sadly, the need for the money is going to win every time. Yes, you can pick blackberries off the bushes, but the needs of life are greater than that.

is this a 'narrow viewpoint'?

HOLA445

Our rent costs us a grand a month.

I suppose that probably would pay for fuel and pitch fees.

And I can work from 'anywhere' with a laptop. As long as it has a decent connection. After all, we use 4G for our home connection and get fast speeds. Though it won't work everywhere.

However if what we're talking about is basically swapping life in a permanent home (as in a building) for the same but in a caravan then on balance, the house wins.

If I were in a financial position where money was not important because I had a stack of it stashed, then yes, knowing I could 'restart' a conventional life might give me the potential impetus to try something like that. I recall another member on here being in precisely that situation and it's compelling especially if travel is attractive to you. I like going camping because the buzz when you stay up lying on the ground looking up at the stars and when you wake is very real.

I guess that selling a book might provide an income to 'keep going'. Because while your time is precious and arguably more important than money from a lifestyle point of view, sadly, the need for the money is going to win every time. Yes, you can pick blackberries off the bushes, but the needs of life are greater than that.

is this a 'narrow viewpoint'?

Kinda

What most people in the grind don;t think about is what plan they have for change. How are they going to stop the daily commute for the next 30 years with a boss they hate?

So - at least the caravan people above changed their grind.

HOLA446

Kinda

What most people in the grind don;t think about is what plan they have for change. How are they going to stop the daily commute for the next 30 years with a boss they hate?

So - at least the caravan people above changed their grind.

Hmm. But my daily commute is getting out of bed, going to the kitchen to make coffee, and then going back upstairs to my "office room" - I have no boss as I'm self employed.

I then work from about 09:30 until about 16:30 every day.

I would guess that the caravan option would roughly halve our rent, but then we would be living in a tiny caravan and my partner has to go to a specific place for a job which means we couldn't travel very far before it becomes expensive and unworkable.

It's the work commitments that are the problem here :(

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Archived