House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Saver

Freehold Not Matching Leasehold?

Hi there,

I am in the process of buying a house, and my solicitor has explained the current owners bought the lease and hence have both a freehold and leasehold title deed. However he has said it is a red flag that the lower half of the garden is shrunk to a thin line on the freehold (whilst on the leasehold it is the full width as it appears on the ground). Has anyone experience of such a thing and knows what the reason might be? Just an error drawing up the deeds perhaps? Currently we are waiting for an explanation, but they are very slow to reply (my solicitor has had to ask for a second time). My solicitor did not seem to have a idea why this discrepancy might be, which suggests it is a very unusual situation.

Cheers,

S

Buying a house, are you insane?

Prices about to go through the floor.

This is housepricecrash, not www.Ilikegivinguselessestateagentsmycash.Com

play nice.

to the OP - perhaps the leaseholder kept that land for building on? Have they showed you the contract of sale?

sound like hastle to me. i would walk away.

was there thing in paper about housing estate not owning the gardens and then the lease holder decided to charge £5000 or somethink for them?

I agree with nnails....I used to live in a flat with shared freehold. Nightmare, you are basically in business with your co-leaseholders who are frequently not very business minded. Coupled with the emotionally involvement of it being your home....not a good combination! Add in these doubts about exactly what is going on about the garden and its a recipe for pain..

hmm yes none of the possibilities sounds good....unless its just a misprint on the title deeds that were drawn up, this could be a real mess to sort out.