House Price Crash Forum
CyberNat

The Wee Scottish Nationalist Thread!

So I'll add to it to say that I'm off to the land of my birth early tomorrow morning to refresh my Scottishness. Paisley, Ellon and Portknockie - here I come!

So I'll add to it to say that I'm off to the land of my birth early tomorrow morning to refresh my Scottishness. Paisley, Ellon and Portknockie - here I come!

Welcome back. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Portknockie? Never heard of it, is it nice?

Are we confining single issue posters to single issue threads now?

Self imposed imprisonment!

At least their can no longer be calls of "Thread derailment!"

I know how much you all love hearing about how wonderful Scotland and the SNP are so I thought I would start a thread to spread the joy!

OK, I'll pitch in.

Yes, I do really like Scotland and have enjoyed my visits there and am happy to hear all about it.

But I can't stand the SNP: single issue bullies.

They were always going to do extremely well this time as everybody who voted for separation was going to turn out to vote for them to make up for losing.

This is however the high water mark, they will deliver nothing, the scandals and corruption will bubble to the surface, and the flash in the pan will be gone.

Enjoy your four years of dreaming.

I lived in Scotland for a few years, and really liked it, but Westminster seems a long way away. Actually, where I was, Edinburgh was a long way too. It's understandable for people to want more local autonomy.

Just bought a house - paid £4000 more in stamp duty than I would have in England. That's a sure sign of things to come.

I voted YES and was gutted the next day when it didn't happen, but in all honesty it would probably have been bad for anyone who actually earns a living

I'm all for Independence, but not if it means the workers paying more to subsidise the heavy drinking of hundreds of thousands of jakeys.

I didn't vote SNP in the GE because I can see what's coming.

OK, I'll pitch in.

Yes, I do really like Scotland and have enjoyed my visits there and am happy to hear all about it.

But I can't stand the SNP: single issue bullies.

They were always going to do extremely well this time as everybody who voted for separation was going to turn out to vote for them to make up for losing.

This is however the high water mark, they will deliver nothing, the scandals and corruption will bubble to the surface, and the flash in the pan will be gone.

Enjoy your four years of dreaming.

Bullies is very strong language. What evidence do you have of bullying?

They seem to have managed to retain all of the YES voters and gained some more into the bargain. You seem to forget that the SNP have been in government for 8 years in Scotland. All indications point to them winning another term next year. The SNP are no flash in the pan. They are here to stay.

Just bought a house - paid £4000 more in stamp duty than I would have in England. That's a sure sign of things to come.

You must have bought a very expensive house if you attracted that much extra Land and Buildings Transaction Tax versus Stamp Duty. The majority of home buyers in Scotland pay nothing or 2%.

Between £250,001 and £325,000 you pay 5%

Between £325,001 and £750,000 you pay 10%

Above £750,000 you pay 12%

As long as you are not buying in the posh parts of Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen, it is very easy to get a very nice house for less than £250,000.

I think it is fair that those that earn the most give back a little money to the not so fortunate in society.

You must have bought a very expensive house if you attracted that much extra Land and Buildings Transaction Tax versus Stamp Duty. The majority of home buyers in Scotland pay nothing or 2%.

Between £250,001 and £325,000 you pay 5%

Between £325,001 and £750,000 you pay 10%

Above £750,000 you pay 12%

As long as you are not buying in the posh parts of Edinburgh, Glasgow or Aberdeen, it is very easy to get a very nice house for less than £250,000.

I think it is fair that those that earn the most give back a little money to the not so fortunate in society.

There you have it laid bare people of scotland

Vote SNP and brace yourself for higher taxes

Just wait until they start spending too

There you have it laid bare people of scotland

Vote SNP and brace yourself for higher taxes

Just wait until they start spending too

But with oil at $100 and going up, our nuclear power & defence capability, our huge national public sector workforce, what can go wrong?

I work with a guy who's been seconded from his native Edinburgh to London for a month. When he arrived I asked him if he'd voted for freedom in the referendum. His response: "No, because I have a job." He asked me if I knew much about scottish politics. I said I'd seen Highlander.

I work with a guy who's been seconded from his native Edinburgh to London for a month. When he arrived I asked him if he'd voted for freedom in the referendum. His response: "No, because I have a job." He asked me if I knew much about scottish politics. I said I'd seen Highlander.

Everyone knows "Highlander" is an exact description of Scotland!

Just like Midsomer Murders is an exact description of England!

I think the SNP has succeeded. Made the English realise that you can't have a Union based on countries pulling in opposite directions. The first past the post system has accentuated the divide by wiping out the opposition even though they achieved 50% of the vote.

Could be the end game now for the Union.

I'm somebody that likes insurance, I was born a Bear and I will die a Bear; if I was a Scot I would prefer the insurance of 60 million not 5 million to cover the liabilities of Glaswegian welfare lifers and an ageing demographic. I guess fiscally it could go anywhere for the Scots including bankruptcy or super wealth. The English will still have the insurance of numbers.

Edited by crashmonitor

:lol:

I don't think I've ever seen anything moved FROM off topic before.

There's always "off off topic"!

Portknockie? Never heard of it, is it nice?

Yes.on Moray Firth, between Buckie and Cullen. Famous for the Bow Fiddle Rock, the quarterly magazine called the K'nocker and an extremely friendly community. I'm thinking it might be nice to move there.

I think the SNP has succeeded. Made the English realise that you can't have a Union based on countries pulling in opposite directions. The first past the post system has accentuated the divide by wiping out the opposition even though they achieved 50% of the vote.

Could be the end game now for the Union.

I'm somebody that likes insurance, I was born a Bear and I will die a Bear; if I was a Scot I would prefer the insurance of 60 million not 5 million to cover the liabilities of Glaswegian welfare lifers and an ageing demographic. I guess fiscally it could go anywhere for the Scots including bankruptcy or super wealth. The English will still have the insurance of numbers.

That's why most working scots voted No. If you correlate the 'Yes' areas to areas of high unemployment you'll find a good fit.

Well, my experience of Scotland in limited to riding around on a `spray train` for a few weeks. We sprayed chemicals on the tracks, covered every line in Scotland.

I must say, Scotland has some of the worlds ugliest woman, didn't get my end away till l crossed the boarder .....Berwick and Newcastle! ..um..I should say something in Geordie at this point.

And yes it was my choice ....not those scottish womens.

That's why most working scots voted No. If you correlate the 'Yes' areas to areas of high unemployment you'll find a good fit.

You make it sound like only the poor and unemployed voted YES and that every one else voted NO. That is unfair.

It is true that the vast majority of the poor and unemployed did vote YES (because they have little to lose) but it is also true that roughly half of the working population voted YES too.

It was the over 60's that swung it for the NO camp as they overwhelmingly voted NO. So you could say it was the jobless that voted NO!

You make it sound like only the poor and unemployed voted YES and that every one else voted NO. That is unfair.

It is true that the vast majority of the poor and unemployed did vote YES (because they have little to lose) but it is also true that roughly half of the working population voted YES too.

It was the over 60's that swung it for the NO camp as they overwhelmingly voted NO. So you could say it was the jobless that voted NO!

Good one! I'm over 60, working and would have voted NO.