House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Beverley Hills 90210

OK: who watched it?

We got cable quite early, I think we were one of the first towns to get it, and I remember following it.

This is one of those things that had a time and a place.

And when you watch it now, it doesn't have the same impact. Nostalgia, eh? It isn't what it once was.

That said, I ordered the season 1 DVD for a fiver from Amazon, and, impatient, I tracked it down on the Apple TV box and forced my partner to endure the 90 minute pilot episode yesterday.

We weren't "poor" growing up. Though we weren't in the most salubrious part of the most desired town in the country. Beverley Hills has an aura about it. I suspect these days concerned with gated estates and murders.

But it was wonderful escapism. And I recall some of the storylines being dynamite. And Luke Perry - need I say more.

I turn my nose up at Hollyoaks despite the fact that it copied this so very closely. But this isn't about some miserable Northerners trying so hard to be middle class.

Did anyone watch this? Such a legendary theme tune.

And no, I'm not talking about the relatively recent revival.

The film Domino features a small but memorable 90210 reunion.

I like Sienna off of Hollyoaks she's like a crazy sexy Kate Middleton.

(Ok I watched a lot of the original 90210 and the new one and Hollyoaks and Baywatch and Glee and any other of the moment TV sh1t. I never really used to watch that much TV or films but since so much of my time has become working on a computer and I discovered the multiple monitor concept I've consumed absolutely vast amounts of film and TV. If I'm on the computer at home or work chances are I'm also watching some TV or film at the same time.)

Brave choice on the part of the writers to suggest that over 88,000 years into the future, people would still wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, and live more or less identically as we do today.

No didn't watch it. I'd say I'm very culturally aware but I seemed to have missed most the big iconic shows I should have seen in my mid teens into my 20's despite being a total TV addict, never saw an episode of 90210, Bay Watch, Friends or countless other shows I "should" have been watching at that time.

No didn't watch it. I'd say I'm very culturally aware but I seemed to have missed most the big iconic shows I should have seen in my mid teens into my 20's despite being a total TV addict, never saw an episode of 90210, Bay Watch, Friends or countless other shows I "should" have been watching at that time.

Snap. Although the endless coverage of them all made me feel like I was watching them. IIRC audiences were only about 10m even for "huge" shows so the vast majority weren't watching them, but the papers need to fill pages about TV programmes so naturally focus upon the most-watched.

I think for blokes (DTMark excepted) that the big turn off was that the star who got the coverage for being good looking was Luke Perry. This immediately marked it down as chick TV.

Baywatch IIRC was on at a funny time - teatime Saturday - and even at that relatively young age I didn't usually watch TV until the evening. I think I'd have liked it being by the sea and a lifeguard around that time.

Looking through the title sequences, Hilary S-w-a-n-k turns up in it towards the end..

I thought the mix of boys and girls was pretty level, if anything biased towards the girls - of the boys, only Jason Priestley and Luke Perry were really nice to look at (Brian Austen Green comes good later when he ages a bit), whereas just about all the girls were quite stunning. Tori Spelling, Tiffany Amber-Thiessen, Jennie Garth, Shannon Doherty, Gabriella Carteris and more (from memory).

Only another 281 episodes to go and I will have re-watched the whole thing. That's one a night for nine months..

The series does appear to be on YouTube but it will only stream to a PC, I don't think I can bring it up on the TV.

I thought I'd just watch the pilot episode and realise that it was "of its day" and lose interest but I'm quite looking forward to the arrival of the DVD.

It's all a bit odd really as I don't watch much "trash TV", no soaps, only documentaries and drama, yet there's something endearing about this. It "has something". I suppose it's that go-getting American upbeat thing coupled with the sunshine and the beaches and that particular period of my life.

I used to watch it, depite it being "chicks; TV". I also watched "Friends". Maybe this crusty ex-biker has a feminine side. :unsure:.

Yeah I used to watch it or rather I was there while the wife watched it. It was on in Japan during the 90s.at about 11 or so.

Now it seems so incredibly dated.

I guess we were wowed by the yanks from 1942 to 1976.....then it became uncool as they used to say.

Brave choice on the part of the writers to suggest that over 88,000 years into the future, people would still wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, and live more or less identically as we do today.

:lol:

Guest eight

I didn't see Friends until about ten years after the event - that was the first time I realised that my girlfriend of the mid nineties had basically copied all of Jennifer Aniston's fashions from that time. It was a pretty trippy experience.

Guest eight

I thought the mix of boys and girls was pretty level, if anything biased towards the girls - of the boys, only Jason Priestley and Luke Perry were really nice to look at (Brian Austen Green comes good later when he ages a bit), whereas just about all the girls were quite stunning. Tori Spelling, Tiffany Amber-Thiessen, Jennie Garth, Shannon Doherty, Gabriella Carteris and more (from memory).

Have you ever watched Charmed? They should have just called it "Cleavage".

The plot of Baywatch was basically some young lad would get into scrapes in and around a Californian beach. Eventually his dad would have to stop perving at young women with big tits, pretending to be lifeguards, and then use his talking car to go and rescue him - and that was basically it most weeks, oh and he would sing the theme tune to the show, as well, or actually I might have got this all muddled up with Minder, thinking about it - I did say I do other stuff whilst I'm watching.

Have you ever watched Charmed? They should have just called it "Cleavage".

For some reason I approved of that one.

I didn't really gel with 'Friends', I think, for the same reason as 'Frasier' - the canned laughter and the 'pause for a moment to let the audience laugh at the joke' thing.

That photo of Tiffani seems to have vanished so here's another. Disclaimer: other photos of Tiffani Amber-Thiessen are available on the internet, some more revealing.

Kelly-Kapowski-Tiffani-Amber-Thiessen-09

DVD still not here yet (taps on desk impatiently)