House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
subspace

Land Registry April +0.9%

Does not compute

Have a look at my is the shires crashing...it looks like carnage in the wets mnidlands !!!

Going mental here in Oxford. Offers over asking all round.

Maybe a South East thing, spilling out from London after last year's madness? Who knows, but that's the way it is.

Maybe a South East thing, spilling out from London after last year's madness? Who knows, but that's the way it is.

All round....are you privvy to every transaction ?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33424674.html

21/05/2015
Brief Description changed: A beautiful detached stone property extending to c. 3962 3692 sq ft and situated in a superb private setting with extensive gardens and grounds of almost six acres.
Price changed: Guide Price £2,000,000 £1,800,000
02/03/2015
Price changed: Guide Price £2,000,000
Status changed: from 'null' to 'Available'
09/02/2015
Price changed: from '£2,150,000' to '£2,000,000'
24/01/2015
Price changed: £2,150,000
22/01/2015
Initial entry found.

First 3 pages on right move for Oxford + 1 mile, last 14 days, 12 price rductions or fails from 30.

That's 40% of listings.

You must have missed something.

When the london market collapses market outside of london is going to get hammered.

There is simply no working locally in these areas to buy the house of the egyts moving out from London.

On a sample of two properties I know about one offer is under asking and one at asking, both accepted here in Oxford.

I do agree in general it is MENTAL round here though.

Exactly - some of this anecdotal "evidence" is somewhat dubious.

Apart from mine ;)

I'm happy to accept the housing market is not in a bubble and will continue to shoot up while wages drop and the cost of living rises...as soon as someone shows me some proof as to how this is possible.

Nope, obviously not. I'm going on what I've experienced in the past couple of months. Actually experienced on the ground that is, not what I've read on internet forums or from trawling Rightmove using property bee.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33424674.html

21/05/2015
Brief Description changed: A beautiful detached stone property extending to c. 3962 3692 sq ft and situated in a superb private setting with extensive gardens and grounds of almost six acres.
Price changed: Guide Price £2,000,000 £1,800,000
02/03/2015
Price changed: Guide Price £2,000,000
Status changed: from 'null' to 'Available'
09/02/2015
Price changed: from '£2,150,000' to '£2,000,000'
24/01/2015
Price changed: £2,150,000
22/01/2015
Initial entry found.

First of all, that's not Oxford, That's Noke, which is not that far from Oxford, but isn't Oxford. Secondly, that particular estate agent I know puts properties on high to get punters on the books, and the persuades them to reduce - that's their MO. That seems to be a popular strategy around here, which will probably account for your price reductions.

First 3 pages on right move for Oxford + 1 mile, last 14 days, 12 price rductions or fails from 30.

That's 40% of listings.

You must have missed something.

When the london market collapses market outside of london is going to get hammered.

There is simply no working locally in these areas to buy the house of the egyts moving out from London.

There are plenty of kite-flyers out there, and those people will need to reduce to sell, all I know is that on the streets that I've been watching, all the properties have gone under offer at peak prices or above, and I have personally experienced above asking price offers on two houses I was interested in.

I'm looking only at the £400k - £600k family house range, and perhaps it's a different story in the £1m - £2m+ range, or on the cheaper housing estates, I have no idea because I don't monitor those.

I absolutely hope that you are correct and this is just a pre-cursor to the big collapse spreading out from London, but on my personal experience there's no sign of that yet, and therefore no hope out there for reasonably priced housing in this city in 2015.

I can only tell you what I've personally experienced over the past few months, if you don't believe me, or think that I'm just referring to unrepresentative cases, so be it.

Average house prices in Oxford 'most unaffordable in Britain'

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-02-26-average-house-prices-oxford-most-unaffordable-britain

According to Professor Dorling's research, the average cost of a house in Oxford in 2014 was £426,720, well outstripping the average income of £26,500 of Oxford city workers.

The average house price in Oxford is 16.1 times the average wage. Who the hell is buying these properties?

INSANITY.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

Apart from mine ;)

I'm happy to accept the housing market is not in a bubble and will continue to shoot up while wages drop and the cost of living rises...as soon as someone shows me some proof as to how this is possible.

Wages are not dropping and the cost of living is not rising.

Housing can continue to rise as long as the cheap credit keeps flowing.

The average house price in Oxford is 16.1 times the average wage. Who the hell is buying these properties?

In my part of town it is inherited wealth, downsizing boomers and London commuters.

Local wages don't really factor and transaction numbers are low.

Apart from mine ;)

This.

It is no more possible than it it's possible to slow down time. Anecdotal "evidence" and collated "statistics" which claim anything other than falling prices need to be viewed with considerable suspicion.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-02-26-average-house-prices-oxford-most-unaffordable-britain

INSANITY.

I've lived there and there is virtually no new build houses going up. Summertown is nice but the rest is bland, boring little town.

Everyone not commuting into London or on some cushty number at the university would be better off claiming benefits.

I've lived there and there is virtually no new build houses going up. Summertown is nice but the rest is bland, boring little town.

Everyone not commuting into London or on some cushty number at the university would be better off claiming benefits.

That's about right. Academics are not well paid, but the university owns a lot of property in prime locations that it rents to employees below market value, some colleges will also do a shared equity deal if you want to buy, and you are in a senior enough post to qualify.

Commuting is not just to London. Reading and Slough and corporate HQs around the M25 are easy commutes. If you work within Oxford itself and are not an academic, the chances are you are in a low paid job - hence the disconnect between house prices and local wages.

Vastly overpaid quasi public sector staff Edited by Killer Bunny

I've lived there and there is virtually no new build houses going up. Summertown is bland, boring little town nice but the rest is nice bland, boring little town.

Corrected for you

Corrected for you

Lol. I did skirt the - this area is nice vs boring jibe, lest this thread end up like one of those "London is the greatest city in the world / no it's a hellhole" threads. I may or may not be inclined to agree with you - each to their own :)

Nope, obviously not. I'm going on what I've experienced in the past couple of months. Actually experienced on the ground that is, not what I've read on internet forums or from trawling Rightmove using property bee.

First of all, that's not Oxford, That's Noke, which is not that far from Oxford, but isn't Oxford. Secondly, that particular estate agent I know puts properties on high to get punters on the books, and the persuades them to reduce - that's their MO. That seems to be a popular strategy around here, which will probably account for your price reductions.

There are plenty of kite-flyers out there, and those people will need to reduce to sell, all I know is that on the streets that I've been watching, all the properties have gone under offer at peak prices or above, and I have personally experienced above asking price offers on two houses I was interested in.

I'm looking only at the £400k - £600k family house range, and perhaps it's a different story in the £1m - £2m+ range, or on the cheaper housing estates, I have no idea because I don't monitor those.

I absolutely hope that you are correct and this is just a pre-cursor to the big collapse spreading out from London, but on my personal experience there's no sign of that yet, and therefore no hope out there for reasonably priced housing in this city in 2015.

I can only tell you what I've personally experienced over the past few months, if you don't believe me, or think that I'm just referring to unrepresentative cases, so be it.

This is the case in NR2

New records each sale 350k 2011 is now 550

A house came up in a slightly less desirable bit of my area previous sale about 250/260 was on for 315 and was going to view it but told going for overs so I just did not bother as needed everything internal redone..... and we need 4 beds not 3

Its actually a mania here for family homes and having chatted to a few folks in Cambridge its insanity there so London > Cambridge > Norwich.

What is interesting is the agent on the last one was nice and agreed it was a bit silly and that I was the only non public sector worker looking. Everyone works at the hospital and maybe a couple from the UEA all leveraged.

Another interesting point the prices have shot up 20-30% here and suddenly in the last month the new cars are coming clearly feeding through into MEW already!

Corrected for you

Headington has a couple of pubs a park and not much else, there is the area where the Pakistani's live, a bit livelier but i don't like living amongst Muslims, Blackbird Leys has 1 pub and nothing else, Kidlington has nothing to offer.

Summertown has a few pubs and restaurants and some of the finest looking women you will see in England, especially in summer!

The town centre is the usual identikit shopping arena probably not as good as High Wycombe! .... Bath, York which are similar sized towns are far livelier with more character.