House Price Crash Forum

Newsnight Now 10.30 Housing

HOLA441
HOLA442

The oldies can't afford the stamp duty when trading down so should be exempt ..... then I switched off.

Or alternatively get rid of stamp duty and make council tax 1% of a properties value / 10% of a rental value etc.

They can save money downsizing then..

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
The oldies can't afford the stamp duty when trading down so should be exempt ..... then I switched off.

How can stamp duty be unaffordable if you're downsizing? The property sale of your bigger property gives you more money than the cost of the new, smaller property. A profit, if you like. A small part of that profit goes to the stamp duty for the smaller property. For FTBs, stamp duty is an EXTRA cost. Am I missing something?

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4411

How can stamp duty be unaffordable if you're downsizing? The property sale of your bigger property gives you more money than the cost of the new, smaller property. A profit, if you like. A small part of that profit goes to the stamp duty for the smaller property. For FTBs, stamp duty is an EXTRA cost. Am I missing something?

You need to enter the murky world of the boomer and pre-boomer brain.

HOLA4412

Yes stamp duty means that you can not downsize and then later move back to a bigger house if you change your mind as the transaction costs are quite high.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It was mostly about Esther Rantzen (who elected her?!) telling everyone over 55 (55+ seems to be conflated with 85+ these days for some reason - oh yeah, marketing) that they must move into an over-priced "retirement village" with a purpose-built bistro and swimming pool or some such nonsense, built by some jack the lad US housing corp at twice the price of any similar new build.

Usual garbage.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Didn't see the programme but wonder if the high service charges featured. Most retirement flats have service charges of around £200 per month. If you're an oldie who paid off your mortgage long ago so not used to paying out like this every month this must seem like a big expense. OK you've made a killing on your house but why would you fritter it away on a monthly service charge when you could stay put and save that and stamp duty of a new purchase.

HOLA4417

It was mostly about Esther Rantzen (who elected her?!) telling everyone over 55 (55+ seems to be conflated with 85+ these days for some reason - oh yeah, marketing) that they must move into an over-priced "retirement village" with a purpose-built bistro and swimming pool or some such nonsense, built by some jack the lad US housing corp at twice the price of any similar new build.

Usual garbage.

Can't think of anything worse......it might appeal to the types that like going on cruises.... ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4418
Yes stamp duty means that you can not downsize and then later move back to a bigger house if you change your mind as the transaction costs are quite high.

...if that's true, they are over-thinking it a bit given their wedge of profit from initially moving. Perhaps it is greed. Seems like more and more that property is simply not worth it in the current situation - high purchase cost, high transaction fees, stuck where you are because of high exit costs.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4419

I can't believe people still watch Newsnight now that Evan Davis who only got the gig due to his sexuality.

He makes those muppet in house economic journalists on Sky look intelligent.

I disagree, IMHO he’s easily a match for the rather over rated Paxman, whom, towards the end of his time at Newsnight seemed to treat much of the program with distain.

The problem with Newsnight are the producers who seems to want to cover what’s trending on Twitter more than what the core, rather Highbrow, audience wants to see covered.

HOLA4420

Yes, you are missing that all these people are fools! :P (when they mentioned this I turned off, the BBC is a complete waste of time for anything economical).

HOLA4421

So if stamp duty is a big problem for those whose house prices have septupled or octupled (or even nonupled or decupled) over the decades, why do they not get that it's even harder for FTBs who also have to pay 100% of the property price at today's mind-boggling prices with savings/mortgage, as well as the stamp duty? Established owners swoon at the thought of paying 1% stamp duty, even with a huge profit to pay it with? Maybe it's because it's the only time that they become a victim of today's mind-boggling prices.

Edited by canbuywontbuy

HOLA4422

So if stamp duty is a big problem for those whose house prices have septupled or octupled (or even nonupled or decupled) over the decades, why do they not get that it's even harder for FTBs who also have to pay 100% of the property price at today's mind-boggling prices with savings/mortgage, as well as the stamp duty? Established owners swoon at the thought of paying 1% stamp duty, even with a huge profit to pay it with? Maybe it's because it's the only time that they become a victim of today's mind-boggling prices.

Remember that most of the time the initial level of stamp duty would have been higher than what they paid for their home in any case. It is a fairly recent occurrence with every buyer paying stamp duty! So, it's the first time a lot of them have ever had to pay! You have to feel for them! :P