House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Dilema With The Neighbours Fence.

My neighbour has an odd arrangements regarding the panels dividing our gardens, they are bottom half panel and top half trellis that run the length of the garden affording us little privacy.

As they are getting old and quite tatty and nothing is growing through them do you think I could just replace them with bog standard ones when they are out and plead ignorance. He's not very approachable.

?

If they're your fences you can do what you like so long as it isn't over 6' high. Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell your neighbour before you do it in the interests of good relations.

Yes, but wait til after this weeks breeze.

Thank you. I'll direct complaints this way as you told me to do it. :P

I learned the hard way trying to put up a tent in my garden earlier before loaning it to a friend. Told him just to assume the poles I gave him are the right ones.

If they're your fences you can do what you like so long as it isn't over 6' high. Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell your neighbour before you do it in the interests of good relations.

I was of the impression that we were only responsible for the boundary line on the left hand side and these ones are on the right.

Only intending to put in 6' panels.

I was of the impression that we were only responsible for the boundary line on the left hand side and these ones are on the right.

Only intending to put in 6' panels.

Consult the title deeds for your property, which might give the definitive answer.

BTW conventionally the fence owner puts the fenceposts on their side of the boundary, but that is only an indication, not a legal requirement.

Why not put an old fridge and a soiled matress in his garden?

Why not put an old fridge and a soiled matress in his garden?

Inconvenient having to go to nextdoor's garden though when you fancy a cold beer and a lie down w@nk, surely?

Inconvenient having to go to nextdoor's garden though when you fancy a cold beer and a lie down w@nk, surely?

Maybe I like Astronomy, but Onanism is quite good BTW!

If the fence is your neighbour's property you are asking for trouble and risk charges of theft and criminal damage. Leave well alone and put up whatever you want on your own land.

If you want privacy there is nothing to stop you putting up a fence, hedge or other barrier immediately adjacent to your neighbours on your own land.

My wifey is talking about putting in a hedge. The garden is a narrow strip (40ft wide tapering to 36ft) so there's a reluctance on my part to take away valuable land.

If the fence is your neighbour's property you are asking for trouble and risk charges of theft and criminal damage. Leave well alone and put up whatever you want on your own land.

Conifers it is then :D

If you want privacy there is nothing to stop you putting up a fence, hedge or other barrier immediately adjacent to your neighbours on your own land.

The houses in our row are double fenced, walled, hedged etc so each home is responsible for their boundary.

I'd definitely have a word with next door unless you're just putting the fence up on your side and it won't involve touching theirs.

Accidentally set fire to it with your BBQ, then apologise profusely and tell him you'll replace every single panel to make up for your ineptitude.

Then tell him the new non-trellis panels are the only fire retardant ones they sold in B&Q. Tell him you thought he'd agree with your logic on safety grounds, and invite him round for a burger.

Conifers it is then :D

You'll lose more land with conifers and they're a pain in the harris after a few years. We've cut down our neighbours conifers over the weekend, with they're blessing, but we always discuss these matters. I've experienced bad feeling with neighbours over fencing and it can make life miserable.

You'll lose more land with conifers and they're a pain in the harris after a few years. We've cut down our neighbours conifers over the weekend, with they're blessing, but we always discuss these matters. I've experienced bad feeling with neighbours over fencing and it can make life miserable.

In that case I will find my moment to speak the neighbours and offer my wish (panels) as a compromise to the wife's proposed conifers ;)

We're going through it at the minute. House to the left, and the house over the back from him have tall (40ft) conifers that block our light. The guy over the back says he'll cut his down if our neighbour cuts his down as his are well kept and our neighbour's aren't and they don't want to cut their well kept ones down only to be left looking at tatty ones, and on, and on....

Even though they're not ours we've offered to split the cost of taking them down 3 ways to try and grease the wheels, so we'll see what happens.

You`re lucky. My neighbour thinks that he owns and has rights over our garden. There was a 5ft hedge until he cut it down 3 years ago and has written several times to the council to complain about seeds blowing on to their garden. (?)

He`s sprayed our garden with weed killer and chops down our Jerusalem Artichokes to 3 or 4 feet inside our garden.

Him and his wife are both 90. Wont be sad when they go.

If I were you I`d leave well alone.

Guest eight

The garden is a narrow strip (40ft wide tapering to 36ft)

That's f***ing massive, in estate agent speak.

I would have thought you'd struggle to find many major housebuilder co new builds with less than 5 bedrooms that have a garden wider than that.

I would have thought you'd struggle to find many major housebuilder co new builds with less than 5 bedrooms that have a garden wider than that.

We looked at a 4/5 bedroom new build and came to the same conclusion. The plot was no wider than our late 60s 3 bedroom home. We have as much space if you were to include the log cabin in our garden which would have looked out of place in the new build as the garden was half the length.

Thanks Eight... :D narrow relative to where I came from (parents had a big garden).