House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

A Talent You Would Have Liked To Have

We're not talking super powers here, just everyday things.

Mine is singing, not being the best singer in the world, just half-decent.

I love classical music, I would so like to have been in the school choir, college choir, town choir. All amateur, no monetary gain sought.

But I can't sing. At all. So that door is closed.

I am good at many things, but if I could have picked one extra that would have been it.

It is said that everybody's voice is trainable to some extent.

I have wondered if this could make a reality TV show, a reverse X-Factor if you like, audition for the worst singers possible and see if its possible to get them singing in just a reasonable way.

I don't think that is true.

My wife has the ultimate curse in loving opera and classical music, has an incredible memory for lyrics, verse, plays, adverts etc. but sings completely out of tune no matter how hard she may try.

My voice also pains me. It's in tune, but terribly limited in range - good for about 1 octave - breathless below that and squeaky above it.

I'm struggling to think of a talent I do have. Maybe annoying other posters on talkboards? I wouldn't be world class at that though, maybe just Sunday league level...

I'm struggling to think of a talent I do have. Maybe annoying other posters on talkboards? I wouldn't be world class at that though, maybe just Sunday league level...

You'll have loads but people tend to take their talents for granted. I appreciate mine and they have served me well; I just wanted one more!

I've always thought being a brilliant mathematician or computer programmer would be fun. I use small elements of these in my job but aren't really needed as a core skill.

can't really think of anything I am any good at either. Quite good at not being ill I suppose. That's pretty good. But a talent at something?

No.

I'd like to be able to concentrate and not get bored. I need tonnes of variety to maintain my concentration levels, which vary hugely from hour to hour. It's very career limiting.

Is it inappropriate to say a schlong that touches my knees?

P

Careful, you'll end up with 5" long thighs

I've always thought being a brilliant mathematician or computer programmer would be fun. I use small elements of these in my job but aren't really needed as a core skill.

I'd give up on that one. It isn't what I'd describe as "fun".

Singing for me, too. Somewhere in my "bucket list" is going to singing lessons. I used to sing along to lots of stuff when I was younger and enjoy it, actually if I try, I don't think I'm too bad at it. But then we'd all like to think that. Trouble is that I have no real vocal range. I have a fairly high pitched speaking voice but an oddly deep singing voice.

On that note (see what I did there), being a DJ. Actually when I was younger, and sometimes now and again, I'd record my own voice and try to temper it so that it doesn't do that "speed up and lift up" thing that it does when I get excited and attempt to maintain that.

Can I say hung like a donkey or is that dragging the tone down just a bit too far?

No not reallly! We dig dirt, and do nob jokes! -_-

I'd like to be able to concentrate and not get bored. I need tonnes of variety to maintain my concentration levels, which vary hugely from hour to hour. It's very career limiting.

I think I can relate to your post. For years I've struggled with being able to focus and concentrate on something without becoming bored. I too seem to need constant variety in life which hasn't helped to improve my focus and concentration which I have found limiting in general life. Turned out nice again has posted about being disciplined and although I have achieved that sometimes it has in general been something that has been difficult for me to achieve.

The concept of talent is a bit meaningless to me. I would guess most people have to be disciplined to become "talented" at anything.

Learning life skills means more to me and I have many of those which have served me well e.g. veg gardening, living well on a budget, cooking good food from basic ingredients, basic home maintenance, learning to meditate and reduce life stress, learning about the world I inhabit regarding philosophy/world history/economics/ politics so I have insight my personal life position..

For many years I have dreamed of being a talented piano player though......not on the world stage...just being able to sit at one and be absorbed in playing beautiful music for myself or small groups. Personal finances are relative as I would have always chosen to take lessons if I could afford to and I think I would be disciplined to keep going with them. This winter I plan to have another go with my basic keyboard and try to be more disciplined at learning myself.

Sorry...I lost you after this bit.

:)

On a practical note, I'd love to be better on the guitar...my voice is actually reasonable but not good enough to cover my 3/4 chord monotonous shuffling.

Or drawing / painting...hand eye coordination is bloody terrible, truth be told. I dream up very pretty things in my head but they end up looking like a spider shat on the page.

This is a stretch...a really natural, warm and genuine smile. With the right attitude and one of those, you can change the world.

Agree with a previous poster, I think we tend to massively devalue our actual talents and fixate on things we think we'd like to be good at instead. It's a shame.

P

Sorry your post has made me feel lost. Maybe Si1 will relate as it was that post I responded to.

No worries. It's only an internet forum so it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Bit in bold........No I can't.

:)

Can sing. Would love to sing to a professional level. Would also love to be able to act, which I can't[1].

Related a little to acting, I'd love to be able to stand up and give a presentation, and get reactions other than scorn or pity.

[1] A few years back I was playing an old and ineffectual man (dominated by his wicked wife) in an opera. The director put me in a wheelchair for the role, so the naffness of my attempts to act wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.