House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Benefits Cap Evictions Start

Article in the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/first-victims-tory-welfare-cap-5780398

First victims of Tory welfare cap: Family of 9 evicted from their home by bailiffs
Lee and Katrina Parker have been left unable to afford the rent on their four-bedroom house and feed their seven children by the cruel measure

A family of nine were evicted from their home today and moved into two separate flats by a council.

Lee and Katrina Parker, 42 and 40, and their seven children were allocated a four-bed property six years ago as ‘temporary accommodation’.

They lived happily there until the Tories introduced the Benefits Cap - leaving them unable to afford the rent and feed their family.

Just one week ago the family learned they were being evicted and today bailiffs drilled the lock on their front door and led the tearful Parkers from their home.

Lee added: “We shouldn’t have to fit our family into a tiny home in this day and age. We live in Britain, not a Third World country.

“The benefits cap introduced by the Tories is almost criminal. It’s just not designed for families as large as ours.

“All I want for me and my family is a home.”

Lee and Katrina were moved into the property in Colchester, Essex, in 2009 by Colchester Borough Council.

Around the same time Lee, who had worked at Asda for 13 years, was made redundant shortly after switching jobs.

Since then he has struggled to find work despite applying for hundreds of posts.

Not worked since 2009..

Lee-Parker-moving-essentials.jpg

Daughter looks quite upset.....

She can console herself with her expensive DSLR camera and Laptop tucked under her arm.....

Mirror telling Porkies as well (you should know better Daily Mirror) one weeks notice!! hahahahahaha.

Wouldn't two flats be more expensive?

Maybe not if the council own them?

Landlord wanted to cut a deal but the council refused to pay so he moved to evict.

If RTB hadn't meant that virtually all 4 bed houses have been snapped up and are now BTLs then they could have been put in a council house six years rather than messed around like this with their housing benefit lining the pockets of a BTLer.

I entirely agree with the benefits cap as I agree with axing the spare room allowance but the government need to work through all the implications of these things before bringing them in and letting problems happen before fixing them.

If RTB hadn't meant that virtually all 4 bed houses have been snapped up and are now BTLs then they could have been put in a council house six years rather than messed around like this with their housing benefit lining the pockets of a BTLer.

I entirely agree with the benefits cap as I agree with axing the spare room allowance but the government need to work through all the implications of these things before bringing them in and letting problems happen before fixing them.

Frank, you are wiser than your avatar!

This isn't "off topic" enough for me! I want to talk about tits,and nobs! :blink:

It's almost "on topic". :o

Didn't even now the lawn. Probably been too busy applying for jobs.

And having more kids and driving their two cars.

It's hard to imagine the Mirror providing a better advertisement for the benefits cap policy.

And having more kids and driving their two cars.

It's hard to imagine the Mirror providing a better advertisement for the benefits cap policy.

Fear not. Seems they'll keep the cars.

"Due to their imminent eviction we have placed the family into one of our spacious temporary accommodation flats which has been agreed as suitable by Mr Parkers representative from Shelter.

Because of the size of the family we have had to make these emergency arrangements but this will only be temporary and we have identified another large property which will be available in a fortnight. "

Do the mirror not know their readership? That articles littered with anger bait yet the vote implies half their readers think the cap is unfair.

Maybe that's why some of the anger bait is subtle, DSLR in the pic, unmowed lawn yet out of work, etc. But some of it is not so subtle (2 cars!).

I do find targeted bait a very interesting window into the way we work. Thinking about it it's quite a master stroke; the subtle bits go over the heads of the half of readers thinking the caps unfair and so they can achieve click bait through two different groups.

If this story is true and they're not actors, then (and to paraphrase Louie ck)...of course we don't want to intentionally put family's in situations where they can't live together.

...but maybe the feckless thicko parents shouldn't have started the ball rolling by having kids they couldn't afford.

Grownups have to plan children, assessing the impact of either a permanent one income, or at least 2 years on a single income, not just put your winky in her kitchen sinky and worry about it later.

Not sure what the guy is actually complaining about...the fact they have been "in limbo" since 2009, or the fact they cant afford the rent, and expected the private landlord to take a cut in payments, which he didnt. or was it the lack of a bath in their "limbo" home...or was it the girls sleeping 3 to a room....such hell on Earth, that the eviction has made them insecure, not sure where they are going, without lifting a finger to earn anything.

Or is it they are in two flats for a fortnight while the more suitable property is made ready?

by the way, havent seen the guy at any of the workclubs I help to run in Colchester.

Apart from the benefit cap, the poor guy is probably in a benefit trap...get a job, and a ton of money floats away...he may have to make a "business decision", as we all do, to stay where he is in terms of providing for the family.

Meanwhile, in other news, the couple were in the local news last week:

She told me we couldn't afford beer anymore and I'd have to quit. Then I caught her spending £65 on make-up. So I asked, how come I had to give up stuff and not her.

She said she needed the make-up to look pretty for me.

I told her that was what the beer was for.

.....three of us sisters shared one small bedroom, did us no harm, teaches you tolerance and valuable social skills.....I think a large family in a small house with garden is preferable to a large family in a larger flat at the top of a tower block.....but it is not the home as much as the feeling of safety and security, outside environment and the people that live in the home....strong families will stick together whatever.

.....three of us sisters shared one small bedroom, did us no harm, teaches you tolerance and valuable social skills.....I think a large family in a small house with garden is preferable to a large family in a larger flat at the top of a tower block.....but it is not the home as much as the feeling of safety and security, outside environment and the people that live in the home....strong families will stick together whatever.

Please send me the film of it!! I m an Angel of Filth!

Please send me the film of it!! I m an Angel of Filth!

Was nothing to see apart from imaginary dividing lines..... Sorry to disapoint....

6 years in a temporary house?! Allocating 2 council flats to the family seems a bit arduous to me. :blink:

The man of the house should have done what I did when unemployed and the chips were down - register with employment agencies for some production line work / warehouse work. I didn't have to wait too long for work doing that.

Although I guess it was more lucrative for him to remain on benefits given the large family. I guess this 'benefits lifestyle' is what the benefits cap is now addressing. :unsure:

Was nothing to see apart from imaginary dividing lines..... Sorry to disapoint....

I'll bet I have seen similar on Beatermax! :(

I've never found a dildo under a girl's cushion. Well I always look. The cinema lies sometimes. :blink:

It's when three of you share a (rickety, lumpy, sagging, old) single bed and the other two wet it every night that you've got a story to tell.

6 years in a temporary house?! Allocating 2 council flats to the family seems a bit arduous to me. :blink:

The man of the house should have done what I did when unemployed and the chips were down - register with employment agencies for some production line work / warehouse work. I didn't have to wait too long for work doing that.

Although I guess it was more lucrative for him to remain on benefits given the large family. I guess this 'benefits lifestyle' is what the benefits cap is now addressing. :unsure:

Exactly that.

He could have taken something to give him the WTC scam, but couldn't even be arsed to do that. I know we're second guessing alot here about their lifestyle and ability to work.

I've watched the video and the kids seem quite well brought up, but for the eldest to say "we're getting to an age where we need our own privacy and a 2 bed flat just doesn't cut it", is factual, but it's not up to the council to address that. Maybe one day she'll realise who's really at fault here.

It's when three of you share a (rickety, lumpy, sagging, old) single bed and the other two wet it every night that you've got a story to tell.

I recall we had paisley eiderdowns....and lots of pillow fights, no gaps between the beds though. ;)

He could have taken something to give him the WTC scam, but couldn't even be arsed to do that.

Wouldn't he need a pilots license for that?