House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Poorest Part Of London Is Wealthier Than The Richest Parts Of Northern Ireland And Wales

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/the-poorest-part-of-london-is-wealthier-than-the-richest-parts-of-northern-ireland-and-wales-10282077.html

The most wealthy areas in Wales and Northern Ireland are on average poorer in terms of disposable income than the most deprived areas of London, according to new official statistics.

The Office for National Statistics has released statistics showing up-to-date figures for household disposable income in different regions of the UK.

The poorest statistical area in London; Barking, Dagenham and Havering, has an average disposable income of £16,801 per head – two and a half times poorer than the richest area in the capital.

But the areas of Wales and Northern Ireland that are on average the wealthiest by this measure still have lower incomes than London’s poorest area.

Residents of Powys had the highest average disposable income in Wales at £16,667 – slightly lower than the figure in the most deprived area of the capital.

Got to love statistics.

Average wage = £24k (ish)

Average disposable income = £17.5k

Am I missing something, as £18k is roughly what the take home pay would be of someone on £24k. Maybe I was being a bit dim but I always thought disposable income was money left over after things like housing/utility bills, what they really mean is take home pay. :unsure:

Average wage = £24k (ish)

Average disposable income = £17.5k

Am I missing something, as £18k is roughly what the take home pay would be of someone on £24k. Maybe I was being a bit dim but I always thought disposable income was money left over after things like housing/utility bills, what they really mean is take home pay. :unsure:

According to the article:

"Gross Disposable Household Income, the measure published by the ONS, is the amount of money that families have after taxes, benefits, and national insurance contributions."

Not what I would consider as "disposable" income either (isn't it just after tax income?). Also includes benefits/tax credits so I guess it is somewhat higher than an average of wages would be.

According to the article:

"Gross Disposable Household Income, the measure published by the ONS, is the amount of money that families have after taxes, benefits, and national insurance contributions."

Not what I would consider as "disposable" income either (isn't it just after tax income?). Also includes benefits/tax credits so I guess it is somewhat higher than an average of wages would be.

You're right, but it has been widely mis-reported, e.g. one article talked about people having "£x left after essentials". That would be "discretionary income" - but imagine how difficult it would be for the ONS to calculate that, versus this one which just needs tax and benefit records.

You're right, but it has been widely mis-reported, e.g. one article talked about people having "£x left after essentials". That would be "discretionary income" - but imagine how difficult it would be for the ONS to calculate that, versus this one which just needs tax and benefit records.

My guess is that the median "discretionary income" would be £0, and certainly the mode.

Britain is poorer than any US state apart from Mississippi.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/08/why-britain-is-poorer-than-any-us-state-other-than-mississippi/

and a report from 2014

http://www.cityam.com/1413313486/where-is-the-richest-place-in-europe-inner-london-came-out-top

A lot of the UK is only marginally better off (statistically) in terms of income than Northern Ireland and Wales. Of course living costs also make a big difference. It would have been interesting to compare Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland and other parts of the UK as the Republic has a significantly higher GDP per Capita than the UK.

They must be getting desperate for good news for living in London

Edited by billybong

Incredible, if you expand the map and hover your cursor over the different areas, Leeds City region is 122% of EU average, above Cambridgeshire at 113%, Oxfordshire 119% Hertfordshire 115%, Buckinghamshire 117% Greater Manchester North 64% GM South 111% East Sussex 70% etc. etc.

Come north young man. There's gold and affordable homes in them thar northlands!

What map?

GDP and incomes don't really tell the whole story do they. I'd guess those in the wealthy part of Wales are much happier than just about the whole of London. Wales always strikes me as a great place to live, especially the rural parts.The US stats re Mississippi, also on shaky grounds. I'm guessing on the whole that UK people are a lot happier...no guns, an NHS and an underclass yes, but nothing like the black ghettos in the US.

GDP and incomes don't really tell the whole story do they. I'd guess those in the wealthy part of Wales are much happier than just about the whole of London. Wales always strikes me as a great place to live, especially the rural parts.The US stats re Mississippi, also on shaky grounds. I'm guessing on the whole that UK people are a lot happier...no guns, an NHS and an underclass yes, but nothing like the black ghettos in the US.

Wales is a great country and a very nice place to live, has great opportunities for growth, many people live there for the quality of life and take their skills, experience, business and savings with them to spend in the local community so enriching it further.....there are lots of excellent places where value can be added and it is. ;)

Wales is a great country and a very nice place to live, has great opportunities for growth, many people live there for the quality of life and take their skills, experience, business and savings with them to spend in the local community so enriching it further.....there are lots of excellent places where value can be added and it is. ;)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/richest-welsh-areas-monmouthshire-cardiff-3877085

The South appears to be the wealthiest part, personally I would look at borders....Powys, rural parts around Wrexham or north into Denbighshire. Crossing the Cambrian mountains to Ceredigion would be a bit depressing and isolating for my tastes in spite of the nice countryside.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/richest-welsh-areas-monmouthshire-cardiff-3877085

The South appears to be the wealthiest part, personally I would look at borders....Powys, rural parts around Wrexham or north into Denbighshire. Crossing the Cambrian mountains to Ceredigion would be a bit depressing and isolating for my tastes in spite of the nice countryside.

....depends what you are looking for.....white van man requires lots of local people to provide local services.....not every business requires thousands of people living in close proximity ...not every person could live without having lots of people living in close proximity.... people need people, the world is full of them and they all need something, plenty of others can provide for them but they don't have to live on top of them.. ;)

HOUSEHOLD income is always going to be a misleading statistic where London is concerned. Cram 14 immigrants into a tiny flat and the HOUSEHOLD income might look good on paper.

Incredible, if you expand the map and hover your cursor over the different areas, Leeds City region is 122% of EU average, above Cambridgeshire at 113%, Oxfordshire 119% Hertfordshire 115%, Buckinghamshire 117% Greater Manchester North 64% GM South 111% East Sussex 70% etc. etc.

Come north young man. There's gold and affordable homes in them thar northlands!

Not for much longer when HS2 and Northern Shithouse get going. Spread the London house price 'wealth effect' northwards!