House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Households Affected By The Reduced Benefit Cap (£23K Per Year)

Ok, this graphic from the speye website https://speye.wordpress.com/ shows the number of households that will be affected by the reduced benefit cap (fall from £26k per annum to £23k) which covers all benefits for those households not receiving WTC or some sort of disability benefit which would exempt them.

obc-reduced.jpg

His post also spells out why housing associations will not be able to let 3 bedroom properties anymore because it will be to risky unless their allocations profile changes (to those of working people rather than those currently on benefits). A very interesting article, well worth reading;

https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/dangerous-5th-columnist-david-orr-you-cant-develop-if-you-cant-operate/

Edited by fru-gal

The Queens speech doodaah was just a broad outline of intent. And some dressing up.

The 23k cap was an obvious change.

The 30h childcare was probably less obvious but equally important.

A lot of blurb along lines of 'support for hard working families' - Im guessing these will not be Gorddys hard (16h?) working families.

I'm guessing we'll see bit changes to tax credits - 30h work for each parent.

Getting WTC/CTC will *not* excuse you from the 23k limit.

The Queens speech doodaah was just a broad outline of intent. And some dressing up.

The 23k cap was an obvious change.

The 30h childcare was probably less obvious but equally important.

A lot of blurb along lines of 'support for hard working families' - Im guessing these will not be Gorddys hard (16h?) working families.

I'm guessing we'll see bit changes to tax credits - 30h work for each parent.

Getting WTC/CTC will *not* excuse you from the 23k limit.

The thing is that any changes to WTC (or CTC) will have a domino effect because as soon as a household loses WTC they will suddenly be exposed to the new benefit cap. There must be hundreds of thousands of households currently doing the part-time 16/24 hour/"self employed" scam to get WTC which excludes them from the benefit cap at the moment. If the hours go up to normal working hours for a couple so say 37 hours (which is what a full time worker normally does) then there are going to be a lot more households affected. It should go up now though as at the moment it is 24 hours for a couple (with one partner needing to do at least 16 hours) and this is far too low imo.

Also note that they are cracking down on self employment because so many people claim to be self employed to get WTC/CTC top ups. Much harder to claim WTC since April.

Edited by fru-gal

Correct me if I am wrong but 23K after tax is still a generous amount.

Know a Woman with 3 disabled children (children play in the park happily) has a carer come in to help her, has her rent paid, new car every three years and various other benefits. Children go for music, horse riding and other craft lessons when other working parents find it hard to fund these extra curricular classes for their children. Most of the money they earn is either spent in rent or mortgage.

Children go for music, horse riding and other craft lessons when other working parents find it hard to fund these extra curricular classes for their children.

Quick! You'd better tell the Daily Mail!

Edited by Bill D'arblay

Quick! You'd better tell the Daily Mail!

Good idea.

On a second thought wait some time as more changes can follow:

First phase -> may get the WTC/Disability claimants in HA flats from PRS?

Second phase -> cap for WTC/Disability claimants?

This will explain why my brothers ex is so keen to get their son diagnosed with Aspergers / ADHD despite what all the Doctors / teachers say .

Edited by Kurt Barlow

The thing is that any changes to WTC (or CTC) will have a domino effect because as soon as a household loses WTC they will suddenly be exposed to the new benefit cap. There must be hundreds of thousands of households currently doing the part-time 16/24 hour/"self employed" scam to get WTC which excludes them from the benefit cap at the moment. If the hours go up to normal working hours for a couple so say 37 hours (which is what a full time worker normally does) then there are going to be a lot more households affected. It should go up now though as at the moment it is 24 hours for a couple (with one partner needing to do at least 16 hours) and this is far too low imo.

Also note that they are cracking down on self employment because so many people claim to be self employed to get WTC/CTC top ups. Much harder to claim WTC since April.

Have you anymore info on the cracking down of WTC for self employed people, because that is what I am banking on, to go back into self employment. and I have never before in my life claimed WTC due to my age.

I'd guess a million or so.

Going by my kids school, I'd pretty sure ~40% of the families depend on tax credits. By depend, I mean have given up working full-time and just get the tax credit money.

This is the (nominally) middle-classy school of a (nominally) middle classy town. I would guess the figures for the school in the poorer end of town is ~60%.

Back home in the North and we are talking 70%.

Oh Gorddy, you utter fcking idiot. You've just bribed a generation into being tomorrows underclass.

Have you anymore info on the cracking down of WTC for self employed people, because that is what I am banking on, to go back into self employment. and I have never before in my life claimed WTC due to my age.

There appears to be a number of approaches.

1) I think the local JS needs to sign off of the business / benefit. A lot did, just to get the people away. Now few do.

2) There's a time limit. You have 12 months to make a go i.e. generate some profit, otherwise HMRC shut it down.

3) They cut your money by 25 x NMW. They expect you to earn at least that.

Time for the Union of Internet Greeting Card makers to go on strike!

Have you anymore info on the cracking down of WTC for self employed people.

I believe the "cracking down" involves checking that you are doing something that can in theory make a profit

, I imagine if your actually making money from something then you are home and dry.

Edited by goldbug9999

" housing associations will not be able to let 3 bedroom properties anymore"

Will I be able to rent the HA 3bed for peanuts discounted price then?

Possibly. The gist of the article is that HA's will have to change their allocation criteria as they have an abundance of 3 bedroom properties but because of benefit changes it will be too risky to have benefit claimants in them. Also the new model normally means that rent is 80% of market rent which is unaffordable because of the benefit cap which means that the only people that would be suitable for these types of properties are those in jobs earning quite a significant amount (esp in London), They could fund the building of homes at social rent by giving these tenancies to those who can afford them and then using the 80% rent to build genuinely affordable homes for those who are not in work or on very low wages.

Correct me if I am wrong but 23K after tax is still a generous amount.

It is an extremely generous amount, especially when you consider that work has costs associated with it. I spend £200 a month commuting for example.

The Tories are doing the right thing as far as I'm concerned, benefitsters earning more than I do for working a 37 hour week while I'm taxed to buggery is monstrously unjust. However, the sheer number of people who are going to have to smell the coffee isn't going to do much for Cameron's re-election chances.

Ok, this graphic from the speye website https://speye.wordpress.com/ shows the number of households that will be affected by the reduced benefit cap (fall from £26k per annum to £23k) which covers all benefits for those households not receiving WTC or some sort of disability benefit which would exempt them.

obc-reduced.jpg

This could be brilliant. :D Surely a biiiig problem for many BTLErs.

It is an extremely generous amount, especially when you consider that work has costs associated with it. I spend £200 a month commuting for example.

The Tories are doing the right thing as far as I'm concerned, benefitsters earning more than I do for working a 37 hour week while I'm taxed to buggery is monstrously unjust. However, the sheer number of people who are going to have to smell the coffee isn't going to do much for Cameron's re-election chances.

Mentioned before, none of the people I know on tax credits voted. Could not be arsed.

No one should get 20K+ in benefits!!!!

Food, clothes and shelter YES.....20K+ in cash....NO!!!!

It's f**king daylight robbery

Doesn't the £23k include shelter?

Mentioned before, none of the people I know on tax credits voted. Could not be arsed.

That's probably why Cameron is now in charge... After the benefitsters see their quality of life nosedive though I'm sure there'll be plenty of angry voters come 2020.