House Price Crash Forum

Doctor's Appointments - Waiting Times

Jason

HOLA441

Ok.. reality has just slapped me in the face!

I can't get actually get an appointment with my doctor. When I rang up a 3weeks ago to book an appointment I had a 3 week waiting time - which I was quite shocked at. Unfortunately the doctor was sick that day so my appointment was cancelled - I got a text message that morning. Ok, no problem.. it happens.

Thought I'd go into the doctors this morning, with a big smile and a cheeky wink, to get another appointment, hoping I can get one earlier, and I'm told..... "You have to have a telephone consultation with the doctor first".

WTF.

Is this normal?

Maybe she saw that I actually walked from my car, and concluded, along with me not ever seeing my doctor (saw the nurse when I registered), I wasn't really sick.

To be fair, there was emergency appointments, but as it's not an emergency it's not fair for me to say it is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

No south coast... I can see why A&E is overwhelmed.

I don't know what the doc can do over the phone to be honest... apart from say come in, but I'm not waiting weeks again.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I've not managed to see my GP in over 15 years, it used to be on a first come first served basis and even turning up 30 minutes before the so called opening time the gp was already fully booked for the day. Now you have to phone up and the last time I needed to make an appointment it was a three week wait and I could only see whichever 'student' doctor they had.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

That's easily said, but what do you do about the legions of feckwits with untreatable conditions filling surgeries?

Can't blame many of them. We have posters and ad campaigns all over the place that help to heighten peoples worries.

That and people who feel if they have a medical ailment - and pay a fortune in tax / NI - they shouldn't be treated like a timewaster for popping into their local GP a couple of times a year.....

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Emergencies are for A&E anything else should be GP - unfortunately A&E has become the walk-in GP centre of choice for many

The NHS website actively directs you to A & E if you try to locate an NHS Walk-in-Centre in an area which doesn't have one. I suspect that's a poor search algorithm and not deliberate.

Time to charge. 1-2 free visits a year and £10 thereafter.

"If you can't offer the doctor a shilling, you shouldn't get ill" - a line from Christie's "The Sittaford Mystery"

No south coast... I can see why A&E is overwhelmed.

I don't know what the doc can do over the phone to be honest... apart from say come in, but I'm not waiting weeks again.

As it happens I went to book an appointment with a private GP (prefer not to see an NHS one) - Bupa used to do this in Guildford. They don't any more. Used to do it in Farnham, not any more.

After some searching I came across a private practice in Basingstoke. That's closing down. I also came across some other search results most of which were in the Southampton (Bupa have one there) and Portsmouth areas. Might be worth a Google for "Private GP Hampshire".

I'm really quite surprised that there isn't at least one private GP practice within at least every ten miles or so. The opposite seems to be happening - they're closing. What gives. I'd have thought demand would be sky high.

I can actually get an NHS appointment in a week, but tomorrow I'll have another look around. There has to be a private GP practice somewhere nearer to Farnham in the whole of Surrey and Hampshire.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

We can register at our doctors to make appointments online. I've found this much better as I've been able to get in to see the same doctor. The phone service isn't nearly as useful and the receptionists are mainly rude.

HOLA4418

Huge cost?

£75 per year per person registered. That is for an unlimited number of appointments.

That's less than the TV license, less than what most people spend on their mobile phone.

The cost of a single A&E attendance is £120

Yep.. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have to wrestle our way past them every time we needed some medication.

Less prescriptions, more over the counter drugs, minimum £5 doctors appointments to cut out the time wasters.

HOLA4419

Wouldn't be a problem if we didn't have to wrestle our way past them every time we needed some medication.

Less prescriptions, more over the counter drugs, minimum £5 doctors appointments to cut out the time wasters.

+1. One of the big problems with medicine in the UK is the presumption of idiocy on the part of the consumers.

HOLA4420

Huge cost?

£75 per year per person registered. That is for an unlimited number of appointments.

That's less than the TV license, less than what most people spend on their mobile phone.

I don't understand what you mean ?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

That won't make any difference because like everything else the over 60s will be exempt and they are the biggest "consumers" of the NHS.

And those who don't work, and get whatever child tax credits or whatever, or are disabled. And every other benefit received known to man...

Hence - the only people who will pay at source - are those who already are paying through taxation.

Fantastic.

HOLA4423

Huge cost?

Not close.

The NHS takes about 30% of all taxes paid.

I'll try and remember the source but the cost is in the region of £5k/head.

HOLA4424

Not close.

The NHS takes about 30% of all taxes paid.

I'll try and remember the source but the cost is in the region of £5k/head.

That's what I was confused about ^ £75 per person per year for GP services ? Aye right then !!

HOLA4425

UK GPs earn 100k/year. Minimum.

Archived