House Price Crash Forum

Hi all

Appreciate this can be a fairly wide ranging issue but looking for people's views on the current (mid 2015) cost of self builds. A few details to aid discussion:

- Site already in possession

- Location is Co Armagh

- Build would be traditional block 2 storey

- c. 2500 - 2800 sq ft with detached garage

- Septic tank required

Other queries if anyone can help:

1.Has anyone got any good (or bad) experience of particular building contractors around Co Armagh? Would like to keep it local if possible.

2. Any tips for reclaiming the VAT on building materials, given that a new build is zero rated.

Many thanks

Hi There, good luck with your build. You claim VAT back on completion but you have to provide receipts, this is a bit difficult for fuel on diggers etc but easy enough for materials. I would recommend you ask people who is building and who is good, don't go with anyone not recommended by someone you know or know through friends. I had quotes from 50 to 100 per square foot but the best builder may not be cheapest. There are too many points to post here! I am building through a main contractor at the moment, I would recommend this route.

I'm also planning a self build to begin around March 2016.

I'm bracing myself for around £100/sq ft. Excluding professional fees (architect, QS, planning, building control, SE maybe, solicitor, mortgage), services (water, electrical, telephone connections), landscaping, garages/sheds/outhousing. Prepare for a lot of money to be spent in this stuff. Hard to estimate (well, mainly the solicitor is hard to estimate for, the rest have been fine so far).

For that, I'll have a main contractor for part of the way (foundations, sewage treatment (septic tank) and house up, doors and windows fitted, roof on and covered, house clad) and I'll manage the rest of it myself (plumber, electrician, plasterer, tiler, bathrooms, kitchen, interiors). I'm going timber frame, and should have a fairly decent spec house for my money, all being well.

But who knows. I could be a couple of hundred grand in the hole and only have half a house this time next year.

Hi, thought I'd share my experience as we are getting ready to start our own 'self-build' with a contractor. We've had a quote from 3 different contractors this year (2015) to build a 1 3/4 storey 2600sqf block house with concrete first floor, and with attached 500sqf double garage. Location is co.Tyrone countryside. Three quotes came in between £178-£182k, surprisingly similar. Worth noting that this is not a typical rectangular house, we had to be innovative to get around ridge height restrictions. The house will be very low energy, close to Passivhaus standard, so that also adds up-front cost: triple glazing, heat report ventilation, 200mm insulation,...

The contracts include everything from excavating the foundations to plastering and fitting doors/skirting. They do not include plumber & electrician. Also you will need to consider the remaining tasks: kitchen, tiling, sanitary ware, driveway, fencing/pillars, etc. We expect to spend £240k including architect, planning, bank fees, sale of current house, etc. The cost could be a lot less (20-30k?) if we left out some of the personal choices - dormer windows, stone finish on some walls, bridge feature upstairs, solid first floor, low-energy features, slates, etc, but we designed our dream home, so we are willing to deal with the extra costs. In the short term we can always skimp of the final trimmings (#IKEA)

If you are going with a contractor then you shouldn't be getting charged VAT from them, so not much to worry about except the materials you get yourself.

That's intersting; thanks for sharing - how much land is this house set on and do you have any idea what the land would be worth?

Hi JoeDavola, we already owned the land so it was not valued, I have no idea what it would be worth but probably not a lot given It's in Tyrone and it's quite Far from nearby towns.

I our finished plans were valued at £230k for mortgage purposes (fairly standard for a 4-bed rural house in the area, I suppose) but remember we're spending £240k to move in, plus additional if we had to buy the site. So from our experience it's not cheap to self-build, definitely would have been cheaper to buy someone else's house in the current climate. That said, if you wanted to build a 'developer spec' house then the sums would add up better. That's not what we are after.

Sorry, good to know the site size in relation to the valuation. Plot is 1acre before building. That's space for a 180m private laneway (odd-shaped plot), the house and approx 0.6acre surroundings.

Thanks for all the info. Good luck in your new home. Good quality of life in tyrone. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Out of interest, who did you use for your windows and fireplaces?

Edited by 2buyornot2buy

Thanks for the welcome! For the windows we are are looking at Douglass, Maguiresbridge. No open fireplaces or vents as we're aiming for high airtightness. We will have a multi fuel stove with direct air feed (sucks air from outside the house via a duct). Planning to install a Stratford Ecoboiler, which would help top up a thermal store in winter.

Hi, hopefully some of you are still reading this post. It is July 2018 and I have just got prices in from contractors building in the Armagh/Dungannon area. I went to 6 and the prices have all come back at around £90-£100per sq ft and that is excluding garage, with only a £10k allowance for kitchen, fairly modest allowance for bathrooms and only completion of downstairs floors (not upstairs).

Can  any of you advise if that seems excessive and if you can recommend any contractors who would be worth pricing in this area.

33 minutes ago, oc75 said:

Hi, hopefully some of you are still reading this post. It is July 2018 and I have just got prices in from contractors building in the Armagh/Dungannon area. I went to 6 and the prices have all come back at around £90-£100per sq ft and that is excluding garage, with only a £10k allowance for kitchen, fairly modest allowance for bathrooms and only completion of downstairs floors (not upstairs).

Can  any of you advise if that seems excessive and if you can recommend any contractors who would be worth pricing in this area.

With new building regs and increased costs that is what is to be expected.if you have went to 6 repeatable firms then you have tested the market.

28 minutes ago, BelfastVI said:

With new building regs and increased costs that is what is to be expected.if you have went to 6 repeatable firms then you have tested the market.

Really!? I am not seeing 100sq ft on any forum unless it for complete package to a high spec. Have the NI building regs changed in the last 6months?

45 minutes ago, oc75 said:

Really!? I am not seeing 100sq ft on any forum unless it for complete package to a high spec. Have the NI building regs changed in the last 6months?

Have to agree with BVI here. If you've put the plans out to 6 contractors then you know the price available in your area. That's what the market is asking.