House Price Crash Forum

Half Of All Uk Drivers Are Stoned

davidg

HOLA441

No not if taking within the prescribed dose and can produce a bone fide prescription to back it up.

It still results in a court appearance though and the prosecutor has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the driver was over the prescribed limit.

The advice is to keep your prescription in the car as it may prevent being run in by the five 'o

This 20 page PDF will clear up all the questions:

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02884/SN02884.pdf

Well that is just a crazy contradiction, banned for driving stoned if used recreationally but ok to drive stoned if it`s prescribed

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Comment from the Fail article:

The government's own expert panel, assembled to make recommendations on the blood levels that might indicate impairment recommended a level of 5 micrograms for Cannabis. In doing so they also pointed out that this was a level showing impairment in inexperienced users & that regular consumers may not be impaired at this level. As usual, the government knows better than the experts they employ & decided to set the level at 2. In Colorado, where Cannabis is legally available, the level was set at 8 micrograms, with the added protection that anyone testing at or over this level can request an impairment test. There have been medical users of concentrated cannabis oil that have tested over 1,000 micrograms but have still passed the impairment test due to their acquired tolerance from high, long term use. The stats actually show that road safety has improved in most US states with medical cannabis laws.

So people have passed impairment tests in Canada whilst being 500 times over the UK limit and 250 times higher than the guy in the article who got a 17 month ban

This country is well and truly fecked up

HOLA445

So people have passed impairment tests in Canada whilst being 500 times over the UK limit and 250 times higher than the guy in the article who got a 17 month ban

The problem is that you have a government which wants simple numbers that can be used to prove guilt, rather than actual real-world tests. If you used an impairment test to determine whether the driver was, you know, impaired, you wouldn't need to worry about passing new laws for drugs, because any impairment they caused would already be covered. But then the police might have to actually do some work.

HOLA446

I know some old people who wouldn't be driving any more.

Yes, that's the other reason they don't want impairment tests: too many people would fail thwm when they're not drunk, even though they're just as unsafe as a drunk driver.

HOLA447

I know some old people who wouldn't be driving any more.

Had to have that conversation with one of my parents concerning the others driving after following the one in question (my mother) for a couple of miles, the control and decision making/ road positioning (driving in the gutter indicating to overtake parked cars) was shocking way past the point of impaired , just plain dangerous

HOLA448
HOLA449

How Many with condition like narcolepsy, blackouts & fits?

Leaving it up to the individual to surrender thier licence to DVLA is a bad idea IMHO

GP's should have to inform DVLA upon being made aware.

I'm afraid one of my friend's dads had to give up driving due to epilepsy. He didn't have a fit as such regularly. He just went off line for about 30 seconds, or sometimes a bit more. Must be a nuisance.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes, that's the other reason they don't want impairment tests: too many people would fail thwm when they're not drunk, even though they're just as unsafe as a drunk driver.

Agreed. They should really be having 2 yearly reaction tests once someone gets to 65 in my opinion.

HOLA4412

Agreed. They should really be having 2 yearly reaction tests once someone gets to 65 in my opinion.

I'm not there yet!

HOLA4413

Why not retest everyone every 10 years?

The people being stopped are, presumably, being stopped because of their p1ss poor driving rather than the police being psychic about who has had some drugs.

HOLA4414

The people being stopped are, presumably, being stopped because of their p1ss poor driving rather than the police being psychic about who has had some drugs.

Well here in hampshire the police today launch their summer crackdown on

drink and drug drivers, random checkpoints and intel led and mandatory after accident testing for

all drivers involved in a collision. FIT tests will also be used at the roadside.

I hope they dont slyly drop the drug tests now that the truth is out about the numbers driving on drugs it wouldnt suprise me.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/13216098.Police_launch_drink_and_drug_driving_crackdown/

HOLA4415

Nope around my way they are stalking the local haunts of the youth (the quite beach car parks and the like)

As already stated this is not about drivers being impaired these tests have no relevance to proving impairment it`s zero tolerance

People have allegedly passed proper impairment tests in Canada whilst being 500 times over the UK limit and 250 times higher than the guy in the article who got a 17 month ban

HOLA4416

It's unwise to drive under the influence of any drug (unless used as a medicine) however, some drugs are clearly more dangerous than others. A drug like cannabis which promotes cautious behaviour (the opposite to alcohol) isn't a huge danger to the public, unless it's an inexperienced user or someone taking silly amounts.

The government have made clear they don't care whether someone is impaired, only if they detect the drug. And the penalties for getting caught are very severe, much more so than booze. A positive result could seriously ruin someone's life and they might even have just returned from Amsterdam or passively smoked.

There's also I imagine a lot of people who use cannabis medicinally in this country and it's probably safer for them to be under the influence of cannabis whilst driving, rather than be distracted by chronic pain, spasms and the like.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The penalties are severe, aside from the 12 month ban and fine even prison it is a criminal record

and stays on your licence for 11 years!

Everywhere you go for a job application or insurance it will have to be declared,

so insurance through the roof for 11 years and potential employers knowing they are about to interview an illegal drug user (if the application doesnt go straight in the bin).

Not to mention quite possibly losing your existing job.

HOLA4419

It's unwise to drive under the influence of any drug (unless used as a medicine) however, some drugs are clearly more dangerous than others. A drug like cannabis which promotes cautious behaviour (the opposite to alcohol) isn't a huge danger to the public, unless it's an inexperienced user or someone taking silly amounts.

The government have made clear they don't care whether someone is impaired, only if they detect the drug. And the penalties for getting caught are very severe, much more so than booze. A positive result could seriously ruin someone's life and they might even have just returned from Amsterdam or passively smoked.

There's also I imagine a lot of people who use cannabis medicinally in this country and it's probably safer for them to be under the influence of cannabis whilst driving, rather than be distracted by chronic pain, spasms and the like.

Well there lies the contradiction the amount a MS suffer would have in their blood if they were taking the prescribed amount of Sativex http://www.gwpharm.com/sativex.aspx would likley put them 100`s of times over the UK limit and that would be deemd safe and legal (in law )

I have no problem with keeping impaired drivers of the roads ,and to do this fairly there needs to be impairment tests

HOLA4420

What effect is all this (if it doesnt get dropped) going to have on the economy?

If we have thousands of people on driving bans and losing their jobs (& future employability for insurance reasons) ???

Drink or Drug driving is an endorsement for 11 years on a uk driving licence

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/how-long-endorsements-stay-on-your-driving-licence

HOLA4421

What effect is all this (if it doesnt get dropped) going to have on the economy?

It will have a marvellous effect on the economy, as, after a few sob stories, the government will pay chauffers to drive these people to and from work.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

This country is well and truly fecked up

I failed my first driving test.

The second time round I had had a few joints to calm my nerves and passed it, stoned.

By rights, i shouldn't be allowed to drive unless under the influence of cannabis.

Clearly, we need to have drug tests administered after a driving test. If you can pass a driving test, then you should be free to attempt it again and again under the influence of various drugs (or sober), to determine if you are allowed to drive under the influence of XYZ, or not under the influence of XYZ.

HOLA4424

Archived